Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 07:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens-Rags  (Read 971 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Jan 28, 2009 at 23:17 »

Looked great tonight. Had a lot of opportunities on offense, and the def played well. Starting the push for the playoffs with a win tonight baby!

Did anyone see Sid's goal? What a freak!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 07:06 »

I have to admit, when they gave up that early one I just had to say to myself "here we go again!" but to their credit, the Pens bounced back well with a solid win. Sid and Geno were on fire all night. Sid's goal was awesome but the one he missed after shredding the Rags defense would have been the goal of the year. His passes were on the money all night. Fleury looked strong and Letang just took over this game. Hopefully this is the start of a nice long winning streak.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 12:56 »

Watching Godard drop Orr was a thing of beauty.  He's doing what we are paying him to do.  It's kind of hard to ask anymore from him.  Once again, Montreal can keep Laraque and his price tag.

Great game overall by the Pens. It's amazing what happens when Letang actually shoots the puck. He is just one of the reasons why I feel Whitney is expendable and worth shopping around for that future forward who can score on a consistent basis. Outside of Dupuis and Satan missing prime opportunities as usual, the offense looked great. Fleury played solid (has been since the Garon signing).  Made the key saves and controlled his rebounds. The defense has held it's ground even though it's missing it's best defensive defenseman in Brooks Orpik.

The team as as a whole played a smart game.  There were times they turned the puck over in the neutral zone or had troubles clearing the zone, but for the most part they played smart.  Sid played unbelievable.  It's nice to see what the guy is capable of doing when he actually has players putting the puck away.

Nice win, bring on the Devils.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 13:10 »

Speaking of Ryan Whitney....

Atlanta's Colby Armstrong has attracted interest this season, including from Pittsburgh who would like to see him reunited with Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.

Pittsburgh defenseman Ryan Whitney's name is making the rounds. Pens GM Ray Shero may use Whitney to lure a top line forward for a late-season charge.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=264962
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 13:30 »

I wouldn't have any problem shipping Whitney away for a 1st line winger. We have Gonchar coming back, Letang seems invigorated after the break, Goligoski has a bright future, and Scuderi, Orpik, and Gil are pretty solid defensive defensemen (especially Orpik). Eaton has been playing really well as of late too.

I've always liked the guy, but Colby wouldn't really solve any of our offensive problems. He's another Mad Max or TK. Which are good to have, don't get me wrong, but Colby has never had a 20 goal season. Something even Dupuis has managed to do once. He'd probably be an upgrade over Dupuis though. Regardless, he wouldn't make too much of a difference IMO.

However, if Shero were to deal Whitney for an actual first line winger, we'd be set.

Also, if I see Dupuis or Satan miss one more golden opportunity I might drive to the 'Burgh and pay them a visit. How many times has Sid set these incompetent assholes up this season? And how many have actually resulted in goals? I don't even wanna know that actual numbers.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 13:44 »

I wouldn't have any problem shipping Whitney away for a 1st line winger. We have Gonchar coming back, Letang seems invigorated after the break, Goligoski has a bright future, and Scuderi, Orpik, and Gil are pretty solid defensive defensemen (especially Orpik). Eaton has been playing really well as of late too.

I've always liked the guy, but Colby wouldn't really solve any of our offensive problems. He's another Mad Max or TK. Which are good to have, don't get me wrong, but Colby has never had a 20 goal season. Something even Dupuis has managed to do once. He'd probably be an upgrade over Dupuis though. Regardless, he wouldn't make too much of a difference IMO.

However, if Shero were to deal Whitney for an actual first line winger, we'd be set.

Also, if I see Dupuis or Satan miss one more golden opportunity I might drive to the 'Burgh and pay them a visit. How many times has Sid set these incompetent assholes up this season? And how many have actually resulted in goals? I don't even wanna know that actual numbers.

All I have to say about the Armstrong rumor is that if it is true, he better come cheap.  I don't care what the guy has been doing in Atlanta this season.  All that matters to me is that he couldn't get it done the first time around in Pittsburgh while playing on a line with Crosby.  What has changed since then?  A trip to Georgia?  Please.  Unless we are sending Satan the other way, I don't see the point in bringing in Armstrong.  Our weakness is not a lack of role players, but a lack of wingers who can produce when Sid and Malkin dish off tape-to-tape passes or who are capable of finding Malkin and Sid when they are open.

As for Dupuis and Satan.  What's there to say that hasn't already been said since October?  I give Dupuis a pass because the guy is not, never was and really should not be expected to produce like a first line winger. That's why he's not getting paid like a first line winger.  As for the other one, at this point I'm just happy that he's only here for one year.  After this season, he's gone.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 at 13:46 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 21:38 »

or Satan miss one more golden opportunity

And for what it's worth (actually it's worth $3.5 million), he has 1 goal in his last 18 games.  Enough said.  :rolleyes:

When it comes to some type of deal in the future, this is all I have read in the local media and it's not much.....

Q: Have the Penguins been having serious talks with any other teams about trades? I don't know if teams tend to talk over the All-Star weekend, while they are all in the same place.

Scott, Mechanicsburg

MOLINARI: Unfortunately, even after nearly three years as the Penguins'

general manager, Ray Shero still hasn't realized that one of the most important aspects of his job is to keep reporters posted, in real time, of all meaningful conversations he has with other GMs, so it's tough to say with absolute certainty that he's involved in any substantial trade talks at the moment.

However, Shero, like most of his colleagues, routinely checks around the league to see how might be available, and assesses whether a player who is might provide an upgrade for the Penguins (without causing complications on things ranging from locker-room chemistry to the salary cap). And with the March 4 trade deadline little more than a month away, trade discussions around the league will begin to increase in volume and intensity, as some clubs make final judgments on what they need to add for the stretch drive and playoffs and others determine what they're willing to part with for the sake up improving their future. (And still others try to determine whether they should be buyers or sellers.) Sher o, more than anyone, is aware of the soft spots on his depth chart, but recognizing a weakness and being able to address it effectively -- especially in the salary-cap era -- aren't necessarily synonymous.

As for the all-star festivities, they no longer are the gathering place for personnel decision-makers that they used to be. Many clubs, including the Penguins, opted to hold their mid-winter scouting meetings during the break, so Shero and his staff were in Florida while team executives who aren't directly involved in hockey operations went to Montreal.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09029/945129-125.stm

Outside of the local media, the only rumored names I have heard thrown around are Armstrong, St. Louis, Tkachuk and Adam Hall.  Jagr was also being thrown around but that was never going to happen.  It will be interesting to see what Shero decides to do Whitmer.  Make a big move now or basically call it quits on the season and look to the offseason.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 at 21:40 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 22:29 »

Listening to Mark Madden, Rob Rossi, Paul Steigerwald, Joe Starky and the above mentioned Molinari on various radio shows, the general consensus is that Shero is not likely to make any major deals before the deadline. As far as moving one of the defensemen with any trade value (Whitney, Letang or Goligoski), I think Shero has become very leery because of all the injuries he's seen to date. It's also becoming more and clearer that he is unwilling to part with the only other valuable commodity in the organization, that being Jordan Staal.

Who knows, maybe the right deal just hasn't come along and maybe one never will. I just gotta think there would be enough interest in Whitney or Staal to get a first line 30+ goal scorer to play on Sid's wing.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 01:50 »

And speaking of Satan......

Satan aware he needs to pick up goal pace
Friday, January 30, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins gave Miroslav Satan a $3.5 million contract in July to score goals for them, and he has.

Just not as many as they had expected.

Or need.

Especially during the past six weeks.

Satan enters their game tonight against New Jersey at the Prudential Center with 13 goals in 49 games, but only one in the past 18. That's nowhere near the pace the Penguins had anticipated when they signed him as a free agent in the hope that his goal-scoring ability would mesh with Sidney Crosby's playmaking talent.

"He certainly needs to be better, in terms of production," general manager Ray Shero said yesterday.

Although Satan got extensive work on Crosby's wing during the first half of the season, the two never developed any real chemistry, and Satan now is laboring on the third line with Max Talbot and Tyler Kennedy. Satan also has lost his spot on the No. 1 power-play unit.

But even though he isn't cast in the kind of scoring role to which he had become accustomed since breaking into the NHL with Edmonton in 1995, Satan still has the skills needed to make a positive difference.

"He's a guy we count on," coach Michel Therrien said. "We have big expectations. We're definitely looking for him to step up his game during the second half."

Satan averaged 28 goals during his first 12 seasons in the NHL, including a drop-off to just 16 goals in 2007-08 while playing for the New York Islanders.

What's makes his goal-scoring problems so troubling is that he has a largely one-dimensional game. He doesn't play physically, doesn't kill penalties and rarely gets involved in one-on-one battles, let alone wins them. All of which means that unless he is scoring goals, Satan isn't giving the Penguins a fair return on their investment.

He is understandably unhappy about his offensive struggles, but seems to view his slump as the kind of drought many goal-scorers experience at times.

"Everybody has that," Satan said. "It's nothing unusual."

Because he isn't a superstitious sort, he won't alter his pregame routine or experiment with new equipment in an effort to regain his touch.

"Once in a while, you try to change something," Satan said. "But nothing dramatic."

Actually, he has a more pragmatic solution in mind.

"Keep shooting," Satan said. "Don't think about it. Eventually, if you get enough chances, you're going to break the spell."

He had two shots on goal in the Penguins' 6-2 victory Wednesday against the New York Rangers and three against Carolina in their final game before the All-Star break.

How many shots Satan gets against the Devils tonight will depend, at least in part, on his linemates. And while everyone associated with the Penguins recognizes the importance of trying to get him on untracked, Talbot said it would be counterproductive to make feeding the puck to Satan at every opportunity a top priority.

"If the play's there, I'll give it to him, but I won't force it," he said.

Satan, like teammate Petr Sykora, is most dangerous when he's relatively close to the net. Unlike Sykora, however, Satan hasn't ventured into those high-traffic areas much lately.

"He's got to upgrade his intensity and go to the net," Therrien said. "Those types of goal-scorers have to go to the net. If they're going to stay on the outside, they're not going to be successful."

The Penguins are counting on Satan to make that kind of commitment because, in Shero's words, "we need for him to be a factor."

Satan understands that kind of thinking and insists that he knows the formula for working his way out of a slump.

"You just try to get chances and create chances for your teammates," he said. "Eventually, something's going to happen."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09030/945620-61.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 01:53 »

Add Hejduk to the ever growing list of rumored players.........

January 29, 2009 | 3:04am ET
Penguins could target Hejduk
TheFourthPeriod.com

With the trade deadline five weeks away, the Pittsburgh Penguins are increasing their attempts to acquire a first-line player to skate alongside Sidney Crosby.
Last season, at the deadline, the Pens acquired Marian Hossa from the Atlanta Thashers and he played a vital role in the team's ride to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Penguins GM Ray Shero has been combing through the league, searching for a top-line sniper and appears willing to part with one of defenseman Ryan Whitney or center Jordan Staal in the process.

It's been widely reported the Penguins are interested in Tampa Bay Lightning star Martin St. Louis, but it's also believed the team is eyeing Colorado Avalanche All-Star Milan Hejduk.

Hejduk, 32, is making $4 million this season and has one-year remaining on his contract beyond this season.

The native of the Czech Republic has a no-trade clause and would have to agree to waive it in order for a deal to be completed.

The Avalanche is in the middle of a playoff battle, much like the Penguins, although it's been speculated that if Colorado falls lower down the standings they would consider their trading options and field offers for Hejduk.

Meanwhile, TSN reported yesterday that Shero is also interested in re-acquiring right wing Colby Armstrong from the Thrashers.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2009 at 01:55 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: