Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 17:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XL Observations  (Read 1045 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:01 »

I caught bits and pieces of the Super Bowl XL replay last night, and just had a couple of things that I did not notice when I watched it live:

1.  We played a TON of base defense in that game.  We didn't give a ton of looks or do a lot of moving around.  Not sure why--maybe Seattle's offense was just too diverse to use a lot of blitzes.  Or maybe Dick felt that their dink-and-dunk stuff would just eventually stall if we didn't give up the big play--which pretty much turned out to be true.

2.  That was our worst performance of our 8-game run, by far.

3.  Al Michaels' call on the reverse pass may have been the worst play-by-play call in Super Bowl history.  He sounded like the Steelers had just scored on a 1-yard run.

4.  On Ben's second pick, he made a terrible throw and could have gotten the TD with a good pass.  But honestly, in that situation with the way Ben was playing, we should have just handed it to the Bus again and taken the 3 if he didn't make it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:07 »

I saw Willie's run, and the half-time show (that was a pathetic performance) but fell asleep before Randle-El's TD pass.

I recorded FWP's run, since my daughters FWP jersey should arrive today.  Kids were in bed by that point so I'll play if for her tonight.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:13 »

I also caught a big chunk of it last night as well...  I was shocked at how poorly the offense actually played for most of the game.  I hope that the outcome is the same but that they could make it a little more comfortable for the wife and the unborn.

PUMA
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:49 »

Caught the last part of the 4th quarter and had forgotten about how poorly the Walrus and his QB managed the clock and the game during that crucial time when they'd need two scores.  It was mind boggling.  They got the ball with almost 8 minutes to go and drove a bit then punted - no hurry up or even an increased pace.  The Steelers then picked up some clutch third downs after running the Bus into the line twice - one where Ben hit El for a little screen type play and the famous scramble to his left.  What a shitty spot - the refs put that ball about 2 yards short of his gain and ended up with a measurement, first down by half a ball.  But those two or three first downs basically sealed the game.

When the 'Hags finally got into FG range, again, needing two scores, they pissed away the rest of the game trying for a TD when they could have taken a shot at a 45 yarder or so and gone for the onside kick, i.e., given themselves a chance.  Their strategy, clock management and execution down the stretch was abysmal. 

And people still blame the refs!?  Watch the fucking game you idiots.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 09:33 »

That game is ugly to watch. Aside from the usual reasons for wanting the Steelers to win convincingly this week, I'd like to watch one Super Bowl where we put together one of our better performances.

In the Seattle game, I think our line did not have a good game. Ben didn't have a good game, either, though he's blamed a little excessively, as there were a few dropped passes, including one by Ward in the end zone. But his two interceptions were just ugly.

On defense, I wonder if our vanilla approach had to do with Polamalu being hurt?

I'm so excited about this game because we have a healthy Polamalu and a free safety in Ryan Clark who's better than Chris Hope. Those guys are going to make plays while also protecting the other 9 guys to create havoc.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 09:40 »

as there were a few dropped passes

I noticed that as well, including a couple of drops by Hines.  Several of those were on very, very good passes.  It would have been a great catch by Hines if he snagged that one in the EZ and got two feet down; but, the throw was nearly perfect.

Let's hope our wideouts can cure their season-long case of dropsy this Sunday.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 10:58 »

And another thing:  After watching the replay, there is no doubt in my mind that Ben was in; and, at the least, not nearly enough evidence to overturn that call.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:09 »

Anyone notice the difference between the "cool" and expirienced Ben this playoffs vs. the Ben that played during SB XL?
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:13 »

Anyone notice the difference between the "cool" and expirienced Ben this playoffs vs. the Ben that played during SB XL?

The problem with that is, Ben looked this good in THOSE playoffs as well, right up until those first couple throws in the SB bounced in the turf. He is the Wild Card here. I can see a scenario in which he puts SO much pressure on himself not to put pressure on himself this time, that he chokes up again. I'll be a nervous wreck for him until he hits his first nice pass.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:43 »

That was 2nd yr Ben compared to the current 5th year Ben.  Big difference.  The other night, in an interview, Ben said he was still extremely nervous into the 4th qtr.

Wierd seeing Grimm on the sidelines. 

There was someone in one shot on the sideline that looked like Arians flipoff  He wasn't with the Steelers then was he?  I assume that he was a waterboy 3-4 years ago.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: