Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 00:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 round mock has us taking a CB in the first  (Read 1903 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 29, 2009 at 09:33 »

I could live with that as long as the next 2 picks are o-line.

http://draftboardinsider.com/?cat=3

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 09:52 »

I gotta re-up my NFL Draft Scout subscription (still think they're the best draft site), but IIRC Unger is scratching around that R1/R2 cusp, based on his ability to play all along the line, and the Wake corner is early to late R2. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 09:55 »

If we address our glaring OL problems in FA, then ok. But neglecting that another year is a problem IMO.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:04 »

If we address our glaring OL problems in FA, then ok. But neglecting that another year is a problem IMO.

You could have the understatement of the year right there, vinman.

I do not see us waiting unless there is just absolutely no value at OL, and I'll refer to the decision not to draft Sam Baker last year.  I know that the talk was that he was a reach where we drafted; however, the way he played in ATL, I think we should have made that reach.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 12:18 »

OK, NFLDS has Smith rated as 26th best overall.  So, in terms of value, fine and all.  But in terms of need, we can really solidify this group by re-signing B-Mac, developing Gay, etc. 

Unger is listed as 41st overall, so probably not going to be there R2.  If he was a pure center, I might say we'd say a possible "center drop," which we see every year concurrent with CBs rising on the heels of 40 times, but he is versatile enough to play all along the line.  Could be a late R1 guy, even.

Just going by 1.32 and 2.64 as our slots, then trawling +/-5 spots, returns some interesting candidates:

27. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU.  Could be a great talent at end in the 3-4, with Smith and Keisel getting up there and no depth to speak of.

28. Eben Britton, OT, AZ.  Might be better suited to a ZBS, and needs to bulk a bit, but could certainly be a LT of the future, and a RT of the present.

30. William Beatty, OT, Conn.  Rising fast.  Great feet, nice height, but is a bit skinny for 2009. 

33. Alex Mack, C, Cal.  Squatty and powerful, best in a good crop of Cs, really getting talked up as the best center in a long time.  Hartwig has done well, but he's not the long term answer.

61. Phil Loadholt, RT, OK.  Actually thought he moved pretty well in the Champeenship game, but will be a RT in the pros.  Would be a HUGE upgrade to Colon.  Imagine the power running game going to the right with Colon/Staples at RG and The Load at RT.

63. William Moore, FS, Miss.  NFLDS compares him to Adrian Wilson; sold.

65. Jonathan Luigs, C, Ark.  Another in a great class of centers.

67. Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisc.  Just a massive dude, 6'6" 323#, can play OG and RT.  I like that.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:20 »

R1 = OL or DL.

EOS.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:27 »

R1 = OL or DL.

EOS.

I agree.  If they do go plum wacky and draft a DB, they need to have R3-5 featuring some killer sleeper rook, but hey, you're preaching to the choir.

Hell, even Tomlin wasn't praising the "new and improved OL" to the media in Tampa.  Dat tells me sumpin.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 15:16 »

If we draft a center, is Hartwig good enough to take a guard spot?  Can't be much worse than Simmons for sure.

Center is not our greatest need, but it would be nice to have someone in the Mansfield/Webster/Dawson/Hartings heritage to take the spot for the future. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 15:20 »

Brinker---pees into Dipwads Cheerios

I just hope that we can hear the folllowing

"With the 32nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft The Pittsburgh Steelers select..."

headbang

Brinker
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 at 17:42 by Brinker » Logged

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 16:16 »

Brinker---pees into Dipwads Cheerios
Brinker

Ewwww

Agree that it really don't matter as long as we're pickin' 32nd.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: