Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 19:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who gets Super Bowl rings if you're making the call?  (Read 496 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 29, 2009 at 13:57 »

The story about Edgerin James getting a posthumus ring from the Colts made me think of who I'd give rings to if it was up to me. Obviously the guys on the roster get one, the guys who went on IR during the year, and I'd even give one to the guys on the practice squad. But I'm not sure I'd give one to any of the guys who went on IR before the season started. Does Sepulveda deserve one? And I don't think I'd give one to Arians...

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:02 »

And I don't think I'd give one to Arians...

I'd give him one if he promised to retire immediately.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:23 »

How about we win the game first, hand out rings second? 

I'm getting nervous about this one guys and gals.

PUMA
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:36 »

How about we win the game first, hand out rings second? 

I'm getting nervous about this one guys and gals.

PUMA

This question applies equally to the Cards and Steelers. (Of course, I don't even know who the Cards have on IR) Just seems strange that a guy like Nance who I think made 2 practices gets a ring. Of course, who knows, he may be in the weight room all season, inspiring the regulars.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 14:44 »

Had a whole post deleted, somehow.

Coaches, front office and owners, 53-man, IR, and IIRC PS all get rings.  For Sepulveda: what if the same thing had happened to a vet like, say, Ben, or Hines, or Troy?  You couldn't say, No, sorry.

It comes down to good-faith commitments from the players.  They're part of the whole, even if it's a guy like Dallas Baker who works his butt off in camp, maybe gets close to making the cut, gets called up, falls short, but still gave his effort in good faith. 

Now, I wonder if they have some discretionary rings to give out... like, a guy who might have been cut during the regular season, from the PS or regular...  Does Ernster get one?  That may be up to the team, as they may be allotted so many from the league. 

As for a guy like Nance, two things: this may be the high-point of his career right here.  So it's a nice bone to throw.  Second, maybe it inspires him to work harder and be part of a winning team as an actual contributor: See what happens if you work hard, like Nate, for instance?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: