Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 06:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Replay on NFL Network  (Read 1945 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Feb 01, 2009 at 23:53 »

Wed @ 8:30 pm est.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:44 »

I set that shit up to record in a drunken stupor Sunday Night...

PUMA
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 13:16 »

That's tonight!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 14:24 »

I am recording t tonight BECAUSE I FUKING FORGOT TO RECORD THE GAME ON SUNDAY.   iamwithstupid cussing angry5 angry4 Shocked :huh: Sad

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
dare2beme

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 14:41 »

I am recording t tonight BECAUSE I FUKING FORGOT TO RECORD THE GAME ON SUNDAY.   iamwithstupid cussing angry5 angry4 Shocked :huh: Sad

Even though I spent the whole weekend in Tampa, I still managed to record 6.5 hours of NFL Network coverage, 5 hours of NBC pregame, plus the entire game.  I am in the process of transferring it to 3 DVDs, so all is not lost.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 14:48 »

I cant wait to hear Madden talk over the cheespuffs stuffed in his mouth and AL Michaels be the condescending, truculent, prick that he really is.   angry4 angry5

and Yes, I do believe in miracles!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 07:57 »

A few things from watching the replay.

The comment about Harrison being ejected from the game was absolutely ridiculous.

Tomlin said he was going to take an intentinal safety if they didn't get the 1st down, instead of punting with the ball inside the 1 yd line.

When FWP barely got out of the endzone, it looked to me like if he followed his blocker, Kemo IIRC, there weren't any defenders inside the 10.  I wonder how the D knew he was running up the middle?

Harrison was all over the field.  Recovering the first fumble that was overturned.  Chasing Fitz on the break away TD, and one other play where he should have given the ball to Townsend.  OK, maybe not.   headbang helmet

I also forgot when they had Arians in the pop up box sayiing some of the slant passes to Holmes were running plays but Ben went to King Tonio when matched up 1 V 1 and they were crowding the box.  Ben must have told BA that's what they needed to do
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 at 11:10 by Big Virgil » Logged

Puma170

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 08:37 »

I agree with all those points.  I couldn't believe, especially in retrospect, that they wanted Harrison tossed.  In the Super Bowl?  That wouldn't get you tossed in a preseason game.  15 Yards?  Sure, but tossed?  Be serious. 

Additionally, I think that Harrison should have been the MVP.  He really was everywhere and impacted the game on a consistent basis. 

I guess it is a good thing to be able to legitimately argue for three players from your team for MVP.

PUMA
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 09:55 »

A few things from watching the replay.

The comment about Harrison being ejected from the game was absolutely ridiculous.

Tomlin said he was going to take an intentinal safety if they didn't get the 1st down, instead of punting with the ball inside the 1 yd line.

When FWP barely got out of the endzone, it looked to me like if he followed his blocker, Kemo IIRC, there weren't any defenders inside the 10.  I wonder how the D knew he was running up the middle?

Harrison was all over the field.  Recovering the first fumble that was overturned.  Chasing Fitz on the break away TD, and one other play where he should have given the ball to Townsend.  OK, maybe not.   headbang helmet

That and taking the 3 points on the first drive were great coaching decisions.  Made up for some of the other head scratchers recently.  Considering how tight the game was, Arizona was right on the cusp of field goal range when Warner fumbled.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 10:10 »

the 3rd quarter was lackluster followed by one of the greatest 4th quarters in SB history.  Reminded me of the Jags playoff last year when we were down 3 touchdowns and came back to be ahead by 2, main point obviously is that we won this game.  It's almost like Ben NEEDS to be down to muster that magic he's got in there.  either way, it's very exciting but gives me a damn heart attack every game...

The thing that needs to get fixed is our 1st and goal game....we had 6 plays in a row (after the roughing of ernster) from around the 5 and couldn't punch it in.  unacceptable.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 11:02 »

That and taking the 3 points on the first drive were great coaching decisions.  Made up for some of the other head scratchers recently.  Considering how tight the game was, Arizona was right on the cusp of field goal range when Warner fumbled.

Give Mitchy boy and special teams some credit on the safety punt.  Cards started at about the 35 yard line.  Normally, when Berger is punting from his own 20, we are lucky if the ball isn't returned past mid field.

Puma170

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 11:59 »

The thing that needs to get fixed is our 1st and goal game....we had 6 plays in a row (after the roughing of ernster) from around the 5 and couldn't punch it in.  unacceptable.

THAT is why they didn't cut him and get a new punter.  Nobody takes a roughing penalty on a hold like Ernster.  I believe he lead the league in that stat.

PUMA
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 12:11 »

Yeah, he was following Kemo who was pulling and turned it up between the RG and RT.  There were zero defenders to the outside.  If he follows Kemo and bounces it out, who knows how many yards he gets.

It's a tough sitch though because it's very rare for a RB to bounce it when they're standing in their own EZ.  Usually they find a seam and try to snake through for a couple to give the offense some room.  For a guy like Parker...with his speed though...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 12:38 »

Watching it right now. Willie was making great yards outside in the 1st quarter. Briliant move by BA to run him up the middle the rest of the game.

As far the near FWP safety, IMO, it just looks like he could have followed Kemo outside. #58 Dansby is inside of Kemo ready to make the play. In order to bounce that, he would have had to go laterally 2-3 yards deep in the EZ. Pretty dam risky, and I think the LB Kemo didn't block, Dansby, gets him.

How Big Ben isn't the MVP, I will never know. The early slants to SH are all Ben, who is reading the D and getting out of the called running play. That 3rd down scramble and throw to Heat on the 1st TD drive is just flat out impossible. When he initially scambles left, Rolle comes up to cut it off, and when Ben runs back right, Rolle starts chasing after him from like 15 yards away, leaving the open space where Miller makes the catch. Unbelievable. On the winning drive, both big plays are the direct result of Ben pump faking. On the 40 yarder to SH, Ben fakes to MM in the flat on the sideline which brings Rodgers-Cromartie up off of SH. SH is then open and safety slips after coming up and trying to make the tackle, but its RC blown coverage due to Ben's pump, which was one of the best pumps ever. Basically the same thing happens on the TD. MM is on the sideline in the flat, Ben pumps to him bringing RC up a little, then Ben points to the middle of the field, delaying the safety help in the corner, and delivers the PERFECT pass in the window the Ben created for himself. I love you SH, but Ben is THE MAN.

FWIW- Steelers are 6-0 in the playoffs when FWP starts.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 at 13:12 by steelerfaninCO » Logged
jasonic

« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 13:02 »

agreed, those pump fakes were sick as were the scrambles....watching the DVR of the game, he makes little head turns and remembers where guys are and then hits them during a scramble, heath especially....I love how he pumps to the flat and then POINTS to the middle and then the the throw to SanAntonio...those split seconds were just natural, innate ability.  MVP.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 13:30 »

This can't be overstated enough. He blocked the guy, held him down (which happens on 95% of the punt returns in the NFL) and pushed the guy over while they play was still going on and while everyone else is still blocking/engaged. I honestly don't even think it was a worth a penalty. This is football, asshat.

Madden needs to retire.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 17:15 »

I don't believe him.  Belicheat is the only coach in the history of the league smart enough to think of taking an intentional safety.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 07:26 »

This can't be overstated enough. He blocked the guy, held him down (which happens on 95% of the punt returns in the NFL) and pushed the guy over while they play was still going on and while everyone else is still blocking/engaged. I honestly don't even think it was a worth a penalty. This is football, asshat.

Madden needs to retire.

Well, yes, Madden does need to retire.  But, I have to give him credit for coming back and calling a strong ending, not to mention some great comments after the game.  And I say this as someone who wasn't a John Madden fan when he was in his prime.

I think the reaction during the game was typical.  When I first saw it, I thought it was horrible.  But it's one of those plays that, on second look, wasn't nearly as bad as it might have seemed.  Out in the open like it was, it was probably destined to draw a flag, but the talk that "Harrison should have been thrown out!" is laughable.  I've seen worse in backyard football.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
CrPederson
N00b

« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 14:14 »

Give Mitchy boy and special teams some credit on the safety punt.  Cards started at about the 35 yard line.  Normally, when Berger is punting from his own 20, we are lucky if the ball isn't returned past mid field.

I always thought when he punted from his own 20 we were lucky if it went past mid field

I think it was on NFL Total Access that they broke down the final td play and stated that Ben went though his normal progressions #1 Willie Parker, and I was going WTF how is he even in the progression let alone #1, Fricken Arians, #2 Heath and then Holmes...

I know they meant MM but thought if anyone would of put Parker in on a passing situation it would be Arians
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009 at 22:37 by CrPederson » Logged
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 14:25 »

FWP would have gotten a shoulder pad on it.

We had a #1 RB who could not catch.
No help from any draft choices that I can recall. Well, one nice block by Sweed.
A punter who almost whiffed and was so bad he bounced them off the opposition's heads.
An O-line that was iffy on a good day.
A couple if waddlers handing KO returns, where 'breaking one' meant they got over the 40.
A punt return duo, where only ones seems to be able to process what to do on a punt landing inside the 20.

Yeah, there's a little room for improvement.
Puma170

« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:03 »

FWP would have gotten a shoulder pad on it.

We had a #1 RB who could not catch.
No help from any draft choices that I can recall. Well, one nice block by Sweed.
A punter who almost whiffed and was so bad he bounced them off the opposition's heads.
An O-line that was iffy on a good day.
A couple if waddlers handing KO returns, where 'breaking one' meant they got over the 40.
A punt return duo, where only ones seems to be able to process what to do on a punt landing inside the 20.

Yeah, there's a little room for improvement.

AND ANOTHER SUPER BOWL RING!!!  Imagine how great a season it could have been if we were good.   Wink

PUMA

jasonic

« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:01 »

AND ANOTHER SUPER BOWL RING!!!  Imagine how great a season it could have been if we were good.   Wink

HA!  I do love that we WON the game with our offense...I finally watched the end of the game on the DVR and saw the Harrison play.  No way in hell he should've been thrown out and the flag is questionable as well.  Madden said he "punched" him?  He needs to get some glasses and some balls as he's getting soft in his old age.

getting soft wasn't intended as a pun.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:04 by jasonic » Logged

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 13:46 »

He needs to get some glasses and some balls as he's getting soft in his old age.

Yes, especially given the way the teams he coached played.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 17:37 »

Watching it right now. Willie was making great yards outside in the 1st quarter. Briliant move by BA to run him up the middle the rest of the game.

As far the near FWP safety, IMO, it just looks like he could have followed Kemo outside. #58 Dansby is inside of Kemo ready to make the play. In order to bounce that, he would have had to go laterally 2-3 yards deep in the EZ. Pretty dam risky, and I think the LB Kemo didn't block, Dansby, gets him.

How Big Ben isn't the MVP, I will never know. The early slants to SH are all Ben, who is reading the D and getting out of the called running play. That 3rd down scramble and throw to Heat on the 1st TD drive is just flat out impossible. When he initially scambles left, Rolle comes up to cut it off, and when Ben runs back right, Rolle starts chasing after him from like 15 yards away, leaving the open space where Miller makes the catch. Unbelievable. On the winning drive, both big plays are the direct result of Ben pump faking. On the 40 yarder to SH, Ben fakes to MM in the flat on the sideline which brings Rodgers-Cromartie up off of SH. SH is then open and safety slips after coming up and trying to make the tackle, but its RC blown coverage due to Ben's pump, which was one of the best pumps ever. Basically the same thing happens on the TD. MM is on the sideline in the flat, Ben pumps to him bringing RC up a little, then Ben points to the middle of the field, delaying the safety help in the corner, and delivers the PERFECT pass in the window the Ben created for himself. I love you SH, but Ben is THE MAN.

FWIW- Steelers are 6-0 in the playoffs when FWP starts.

I will never understand why our #1 RB, who runs a 4.3 40, weighs 209 pounds, and runs behind a subpar offensive line continually was asked to run between the guards (shit not even between the tackles) on that consistent a basis.  When he gets the corner on anyone in the past couple years, he's by them.  By no means can BA run him outside exclusively, but how about once per QUARTER!

Early in the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XLIII, Parker had 8 carries for 34 yards.  He ended with 19 for 53.  Who made adjustments and who didn't?  The adjustment was he stopped running outside.  Again, a 209 pound RB with 4.3 speed doesn't make a living exclusively between the tackles.  The good news he isn't a pussy like Reggie Bush, who can't run inside well enough to set up his outside speed.  Parker does run inside well enough to do that.  He's just held back by a dumbass OC who can't figure out how to use him.

Looking forward, in an offense like BA's, how important is pass catching ability in a RB?  Parker can't catch to save his life, yet Mendenhall is more than capable of doing that.  Does he get a look next year as a 3rd down RB?  Or is that job safely in the hands of Moore?

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 18:01 »

I firmly believe that FWP, RM, and MM are each viable talents in their own way, and that Arians will fuck up each and every one of them by running them, as noted, up the fucking gut, with all the creativity of someone who learned playcalling from his days at rock, paper, scissors.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 22:43 »

I firmly believe that FWP, RM, and MM are each viable talents in their own way, and that Arians will fuck up each and every one of them by running them, as noted, up the fucking gut, with all the creativity of someone who learned playcalling from his days at rock, paper, scissors.
I thoroughly concur.
Which is why I desperately hope that BA decides to retire to the Bahamas, and Charlie Batch is enlisted as our "interim" OC.  I really and truly think Charlie could do the job a thousand times better than BA.
Of course, I think I could do the job about 100 times better than BA, so maybe my faith in Charlie isn't really that stout...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 23:28 »

Which is why I desperately hope that BA decides to retire to the Bahamas

Natalie Holloway style.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Puma170

« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 08:41 »