Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 02:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated Banner  (Read 1848 times)
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« on: Feb 02, 2009 at 07:58 »

The Banner needs updated to reflect the sixth Lombardi trophy.  I'll say it again, 'cause it just sounds good.  The Banner needs updated to reflect the sixth Lombardi trophy.  Who's the talent that put that together?

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 08:11 »

Blitzburrgh made the flash banner. I was planning on trying to get in touch with him.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 08:39 »

Yeah, we need something better for sure.  I'll take a stab at it this week and see how it turns out.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 14:23 »

James Harrison belongs in it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 14:56 »

OK, who all goes on it?  Let's minimize my thinking ...

Harrison, Tone, Ben, Ward ...

Should I put 6 Lombardies or just the 1?

Was thinking a collage over a bunch of fans in Heinz with the trophies in there somewhere.  Check the new one over at http://www.steeleraddicts.com/ ... pretty cool.

Ideas, people, ideas!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 16:09 »

I know they are old school and the backbone of the entire organization...But I would like to see Troy and Farrior replace Terry and Jack.  Just have one lombardi in the middle with a 6X over the NFl logo.  dont think we need 6 of them taking up space.  its already a given we have THE greatest nfl franchise of all time.

Its a new era

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 16:41 »

I know they are old school and the backbone of the entire organization...But I would like to see Troy and Farrior replace Terry and Jack.  Just have one lombardi in the middle with a 6X over the NFl logo.  dont think we need 6 of them taking up space.  its already a given we have THE greatest nfl franchise of all time.

Its a new era

I like the new era idea.  Just start the count for the Tomlin era at 1.  Thanks!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 08:52 »

OK, that's the first shot a making a banner.  But now something needs to be done with the "Maximum Grilled Steelers" image in the title bar as it's redundant right below the same in the banner.

Maybe put the "articles, fans, forums, news" text there?  So, that would be on the left and "community" would be on the right.

Comments are welcome. 

Over on Steeler Addicts they rotate the banner every few page loads.  That's a cool idea I'll probably implement here.  So, eventually there will be several banners and you'll get a variety as you post.  A good way to work in different players, past rosters, the history, etc.  I mean, who wants to forget the Neil O'Donnell years?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 09:52 »

OK, that's the first shot a making a banner.  But now something needs to be done with the "Maximum Grilled Steelers" image in the title bar as it's redundant right below the same in the banner.

Maybe put the "articles, fans, forums, news" text there?  So, that would be on the left and "community" would be on the right.

Comments are welcome. 

Over on Steeler Addicts they rotate the banner every few page loads.  That's a cool idea I'll probably implement here.  So, eventually there will be several banners and you'll get a variety as you post.  A good way to work in different players, past rosters, the history, etc.  I mean, who wants to forget the Neil O'Donnell years?

I like the multiple banners idea.  How 'bout coming up with a general, "default" look for it (e.g. trophy or trophies in the forefront; nightime skyline shot of the city in the background; some kind of customized SB XLIII logo; whatever it ends up being) and include multiple players from the current SB squad.  Tomlin, Ben, Holmesy, Harrison, Ward, Berger, etc. 

Then, have the same look, but instead of it having several players from the current team, create individual banners for individual players, past and present.  Essentially, people could pick a Miller, Polamalu, Woodley banner that would have the same look as the default one, but it would only have pictures of that single player.  If ya really want to go crazy have banners for old school guys too like Woodson, Lloyd, Lake or really old school like Lambert, Shell, Harris, Bradshaw, Swann, etc.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 09:53 »

Might it be as simple as using Blitzburgh's banner from the old site as a template?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 10:18 »

Tomlin and some players

Grilled, baby

Tomlin alone

The plan is to use that shot of Heinz Field and the grill as the backgrounds for several banners.  I've figured out how to clean up the player/object cutouts better (but hadn't at the creation of the first banner above, you can see some rough edges on the people) and now it's just a matter of accumulating enough "widgets" to mix and match a butt load of banners.

Having many banners will allow for all sorts of themes from old players, new players, offense, defense, trophies and whatever else comes to mind.

Thanks for the input, aj.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 10:20 »

Looks great Jonzr thumbsup

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:18 »

I agree.  Looks very good.

I like the first one as a default banner banner background.  Can we take the lettering from the second grill banner and stretch it along the bottom of the first banner?  Might have to shrink to the text size a bit so it's not so cumbersome.  Or, maybe make the banner a 'lil bigger?

Also, do you have a shot of Tomlin holdin' the Lombardi and not the AFCC trophy?  And, do you have some kinda logo signifying XLIII, #6, etc.?

Wish I had the technical know how to do more than just offer my $0.02 worth...

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 11:36 »

Yeah, I need a new cut out of Tomlin, with the Lombardi this time.  Hopefully can find a shot with only one arm up or holding it in front.

You know, it probably wouldn't be hard to put "VI" on the trophy. 

As for the lettering, the grill version would probably look good on the other background.  There's much that can be done with the lettering.  I just have to remember to save them as components to avoid recreating all the damn time.  So far so good on that account.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 20:47 »

Made a few new ones but couldn't find a shot of Tomlin with the Lombardi.  Then I remembered reading that he said he never touched it.  There's no photographic evidence that he did, I can attest to that.

And got the rotating thang working too!  You gotta love software that's free to the public (like SMF, used for this message board) and the users at the SMF & Tiny Portal sites who develop stuff and post it for everyone else to use.  The entire photo gallery add-on was developed and provided for free by SMF users.  And it was created from various components that were released for free public use.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009 at 20:53 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: