Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 09:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: co-MVPs?  (Read 1130 times)
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 16:42 »

I agree can't go wrong with either. I would of given it to Ben though. He had several houdini-like escapes, made clutch throws, and even his pick was just a bad break. Eli got the MVP last year for one late drive to win the game (sound familiar?). I feel Ben played better up until that final drive then Eli did the year before. My experience is usually the QB who leads that late drive gets it. None of those plays were there for Santonio to make if not for Ben's will and ability.

But either way, we won the damn game!!
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 17:35 »

I'd say the MVP race went something like this:

kickoff-29:45 - Ben.  Was smooth, hitting on everything.  Was perfect in the first half I think other than the slightly underthrown ball to Nate and the tipped ball INT.
29:46-57:30 or so - Harrison.  Never been a game changing play like that in the SB.  Ever.
57:30-59:25 - Warner or Fitz, not sure which, leaning toward Fitz.
59:25 Holmes, though it could have been Ben (would have been the QB for sure if name were Brady or Manning).

I think if the game had stayed 20-13, 23-16 or something, with the Steelers never trailing and not getting into the EZ again, it's Harrison.  Once Fitz broke through, Harrison was out, which is unfortunate because I think I still would have given it to him despite the PF (imagine the outrage if that had happened).

Holmes was my third choice, but definitely deserving.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 17:48 »

Harrison didn't just have the huge play, he drew multiple holding calls (finally) and was all over the field.  I would split it between him and Ben.  As others have said Holmes is deserving, I just prefer others.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
jasonic

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 21:06 »

i was sitting in the steelers end zone and had fitz running right at me, i could see the white of his eyes from 50 and that dude ran faster and with more purpose than I had ever seen in person.  it was insane, i looked over at my friend and could only muster a weak, "oh my god"  i felt like i was punched in the gut.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 21:16 »

i was sitting in the steelers end zone and had fitz running right at me, i could see the white of his eyes from 50 and that dude ran faster and with more purpose than I had ever seen in person.  it was insane, i looked over at my friend and could only muster a weak, "oh my god"  i felt like i was punched in the gut.

Cool.  They showed his face on the sideline when the Steelers scored the winning TD.  Pure horror.  It was delightful.

Did ya get any pics?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 21:52 »

i lost my camera on saturday before unfortunately but have some pics from phone i will post tomorrow. 

i saw that replay of fitz saying, "no, no...."  it was so sweet.

carey davis' family and willy's family were sitting in front of us and after the win, davis came over and retrieved his little kid, they handed him down and to him over the end zone barrier.  it was a pretty touching moment....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 06:30 »

Did you scream at Davis and tell him he sucks and can't block? That his days are numbered?

Just kidding.

Seriously, though, since I'm a Pitt alum, and since Fitz is hardly your typical WR A-hole, I actually felt bad for the kid when he was mouthing "No, no, no."

Kind of sucks to become the MVP of the Super Bowl only to see it end prematurely with less than a minute to go.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 06:46 »

Yeah, the Steelers definitely won that thing as a team. I was hoping Ben would get it, not only did I think he deserved it, but just to give him a little bit of confidence going into next year. Santonio was worthy, and same with Harrison, particularly if you figure in all the yards for holding.

If Beardy or Peyton has the performance Ben did in the SB, guaran-fucking-tee you they win MVP. But not the "game manager." I can see why Holmes got it, but IMO, that MVP belonged to Ben.

On another note, saw a lot of comparisons between Santonio's catch and Tyree's catch and which one was better. Without question, Tyree's catch was a better catch. He caught the ball on his helmet for goodness sake. Fantastic job by Santonio, nothing taken away from him, just my opinion.

SIX TIME CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Sounds great doesn't it?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 07:07 »

On another note, saw a lot of comparisons between Santonio's catch and Tyree's catch and which one was better. Without question, Tyree's catch was a better catch. He caught the ball on his helmet for goodness sake. Fantastic job by Santonio, nothing taken away from him, just my opinion.

It's kind of a stupid debate--who could possibly judge?--but you're right.  Tyree's was far more unlikely and far more amazing.  Manning threw up a prayer and Tyree answered it.  Defenders had a chance to make a play on the ball.

SA's catch was only going to be caught by one person, if it was caught at all.  It was a great catch at the end of a perfect throw.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:53 »

It's kind of a stupid debate--who could possibly judge?--but you're right.  Tyree's was far more unlikely and far more amazing.  Manning threw up a prayer and Tyree answered it.  Defenders had a chance to make a play on the ball.

SA's catch was only going to be caught by one person, if it was caught at all.  It was a great catch at the end of a perfect throw.

IMO, Tyree's catch was more acrobatic and impressive, but Holmes' should be ranked higher simply because it was FTMFW.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: