Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 18:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! Respect for Ben.  (Read 1303 times)
leighclay
Old School Member

« on: Feb 03, 2009 at 07:08 »

First let me say....WOOOOO-FUCKIN-HOOOOO!!!!!!
I am so damn happy I can't stand it!!

So, I watched the game with the Sis & BIL at the ESPN Club at Disney.  TONS of Steeler fans, and only one jag-off AZ fan/Steeler hater.  Other AZ fans were cool.

But I had to drive to Palm Beach Monday morning, so listened to ESPN radio on the way down.  Mike & Mike, Cowherd, local dudes, pretty much to a man said Ben must now be considered elite.  Cowherd even shut down a caller who started with "How many league MVPs has he won?"
He said, when he's in the league with Peyton & Beardy, and he's only in his 5th year, the league MVP is gonna be hard to get.  But he's got 2 rings and all he does is win.

Awesome.  I know there will always be the idiots that can't appreciate what Ben is and what he does, but it's nice to hear that some of them finally get it.

Personally, while I agree Tone was awesome, I woulda voted for Ben as MVP.

Oh, and the Sis, BIL & nephew got to see the parade at Disney & Tone in the car with Mickey.  Bitches.... cussing

Oh, and one more thing....
 eck02 eck02 eck02

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 07:49 »

I still don't think Ben is getting the respect from the HOF voter types.  Everyone on sports TV yesterday say he is not in the Manning and Brady club.  According to the mass media types, he isn't a pure QB, a wouldn't be able to get it done dropping back and throwing the ball.

I want to see Brady and Manning play behind the Steeler o-line and throw to Hines, a developing Holmes (last coupla years) and Washington.  Throw in Arians, and neither one of them would be more than 8-8.

LC-  too bad you couldn't hang at Disney another day or two.  Fun place.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:06 »

I simply do not care how he is viewed in the media's eyes.  Yeah he is not your typical drop back, smile at the camera, and sling it all over the field guy.  So what, he is a two time SB champ and is 26 years old.  He is on a team who's core is around his age, i.e. Troy, Tone, Heath, LaMarr, Lawrence.

I can see at least 2 more SB victories for this "unconventional" QB of ours...and I will take that over looking pretty anyday.

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:10 »

Oh, and one more thing....
 eck02 eck02 eck02

Emoticons? That's all we get? First they water down the Super Bowl commercials, and now this. Sigh

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 08:59 »

Ben is getting MORE respect, but still not as much as he deserves.  Why he deserves more is summed up in this comment:

I want to see Brady and Manning play behind the Steeler o-line and throw to Hines, a developing Holmes (last coupla years) and Washington.  Throw in Arians, and neither one of them would be more than 8-8.

Exactly. 

I still think the most apt comparison for Ben is Elway.  Elway didn't really start putting up huge numbers until the mid-90s.  He always threw a lot of pics.  Although they had a great defense, he played on some pretty mediocre teams, as we saw in the Super Bowls where they just got killed. 

But, he was known for those game-winning drives, for making huge plays when they had to be made, for finding ways to win.  Does that sound like anyone we know?

I still think that Brady is probably the best all-around QB in the game.  However, at this point I don't think that I'd prefer him over Ben.  Manning is still world-class, but he's not "better" than Ben.  I'd put Rivers and Warner up there as well, but not over Ben.  So, why not Brady over Ben?

Because Ben fits this team.  He fits this city.  He is exactly the kind of quarterback that you need in Pittsburgh--big, strong, resilient.  He's not worried about style, he's not worried about critics, he just wants to win.  That's our team, our city, and he is our franchise QB.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:43 »

Agree so much with all the points in this thread.

To take the Manning/Ben debate seriously for a second. When you ask, 'who's had the better career?' I think it's becoming a lot harder than it seems on its face to say that Manning should be ranked higher than Ben.

The main part of the argument for Manning is just numbers. Stats. And they're impressive. He's been rock-solid and consistent. Counter-argument is that he's played on a team that's always invested heavily in offense.

But Manning has led his team to the playoffs 9 times. In 6 of those appearances, the Colts went belly-up in their first game, often as a home favorite.

When you consider how Manning has played against the best competition -- forget the stats, much of which was built pummeling bad Texan, Jaguar, and Titan teams -- he just pales in comparison to Ben.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:50 »

Who's a better Qb......Manning , Brady, Ben.......

Who cares?

I agree with what Savran had to say on the subject.....

I'm more than happy with the guy we have at QB..........
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:32 »

I still think the most apt comparison for Ben is Elway.  Elway didn't really start putting up huge numbers until the mid-90s.  He always threw a lot of pics.  Although they had a great defense, he played on some pretty mediocre teams, as we saw in the Super Bowls where they just got killed. 

But, he was known for those game-winning drives, for making huge plays when they had to be made, for finding ways to win.  Does that sound like anyone we know?

Preachin' to the choir, sir.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:46 »

aj_law= choirboy

Be careful if you are asked to stay after the service is over.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:56 »

aj_law= choirboy

Be careful if you are asked to stay after the service is over.

Hey, I ain't Catholic...and I ain't no funny boy!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: