Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 01:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! Respect for Ben.  (Read 1154 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 16:56 »

I still think the most apt comparison for Ben is Elway. 

I'll have to agree.  Until the last year or so, I thought Ben compared to Favre with his style.  But a couple of things have changed my mind.

1)  He's learned that throwing a bunch of picks is a bad idea, something Favre never did figure out.

2)  He's got more rings than Favre.

3)  He improvises better than Favre.

When all is said and done, if Ben plays 10 more years at this level, he will be considered better than Favre, even if he doesn't have his stats (which he won't).

I was never a huge Elway fan, but I like the comparison.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 17:28 »

I simply do not care how he is viewed in the media's eyes.  Yeah he is not your typical drop back, smile at the camera, and sling it all over the field guy.  So what, he is a two time SB champ and is 26 years old.  He is on a team who's core is around his age, i.e. Troy, Tone, Heath, LaMarr, Lawrence.

I can see at least 2 more SB victories for this "unconventional" QB of ours...and I will take that over looking pretty anyday.

Brinker

True story: I go to the local grocery store Super Bowl afternoon, decked out in Black & Gold, and some bubble-headed bleach blonde clerk comes up to me and says "You know, I really like the Steelers but the Cardinals QB is really good looking". I just looked at her & said "Good looks don't win Super Bowls".

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jasonic

« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 17:41 »

you should've just punched her in the face.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 17:45 »

Nah, didn't want to spend the game in the VB jail!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jasonic

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 17:46 »

good point.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 18:47 »

I still think the most apt comparison for Ben is Elway.

I was watching the lost ring series a couple weekends ago and unno, watching Fran Tarkenton scramble was exactly like Ben alluding the pass rush and using the entire field to make a pass.  He definitely has elways ability to master a 2 minute drive.  so what im saying he's a little of both IMO.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 19:52 »

I still don't think Ben is getting the respect from the HOF voter types.  Everyone on sports TV yesterday say he is not in the Manning and Brady club.  According to the mass media types, he isn't a pure QB, a wouldn't be able to get it done dropping back and throwing the ball.
I have to admit I haven't seen much TV, but the ones I have seen have said Ben definitely belongs in the same conversation as Peyton & Beardy.  Today I heard him called a "hybrid" of the two.  Which is a little true, but with a lot more "it" thrown in.  That's what someone else said.   Ben has "it".

LC-  too bad you couldn't hang at Disney another day or two.  Fun place.
  Oh, I came back. And I'm here the rest of the week.  Just sorry I missed Tone.

Nah, didn't want to spend the game in the VB jail!

But you shoulda gone back and punched her in the face after the game...
 wacko

Personally, I've been known to punch people when they say shit about the boys....but then, I have a bunch of friends who are lawyers...

Oh, and one more thing....
 eck02 eck02 eck02

Emoticons? That's all we get? First they water down the Super Bowl commercials, and now this. Sigh

Patience, Grasshopper.  I'm on vacation.
Who knows what I may do when I get back and re-watch the game.
 yeh

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: