Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 02:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Projected 19 million in '09 cap room  (Read 2909 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Feb 03, 2009 at 13:13 »

Ok, in keeping with Tomlin's tone, last year is over. It looks like the Steelers will be 19 million under the cap for '09, assumming no major restructures or cuts. The Ratshits are also 19 mil under. It seems like that is more than in recent years, but somehow I doubt there will be any major FA singings.

But it seems like they have a good chance to keep the guys they want. McFadden probably being on the top of the list. Both Batch and BL are FA's, so they are going to have to sign one of them. BL has a chance to actually start for someone else, so its more likely Batch will be back and for a homwtown discount I'm sure. If both are available, sorry Charlie, I'd rather have BL as the #2 at this point.

Obviously something has to be done with Starks. Either he walks, or signs a longterm deal. No way do they transistion him again for 7 mil. Maybe Smith at this point can be resinged for cheap. Not sure that would be a good idea anyway with that guys back, but who in the league is going to give him $$$ at this point in his career? 2 starters, Kemo and Starks are UFA'a, and 1 starter is a RFA, Colon. The FO is going to have to figure some shit out.

I wonder if Nate getsa any interest after a lack luster playoffs.  I think he can be resigned on the cheap at this point. SH is going to want money as well now that he is the SB MVP.

On defense, McFadden is the guy. Would be really nice to keep him around. I would also think about locking up Clark for a couple more years. He is an underated guy IMO, and probably isn't going to command a lot of money.

So if your Colbert, how do you do spend your money? What FA's do you take a look at?
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 13:22 »

I think you have to lock up Kemo, McFadden, and Nate. From there, they need to sure up the OL. SING a LT (maybe Starks) and a RG. Draft OL in one of the first two rounds also (if not both). I would make a push to SIGN Lefty too. The price may be right, you never know. Have I spent $19 million yet?  headbang

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:10 »

I think you'll see Larry Foote a victim of the cap... and Hines restructured in the form of a bonus payout and two or three year extension.  That could potential save anywhere in another 5-10 million.

I suppose it's possible that Foote can be restructured and extended with backup salary, but he may want to try and find a starting role with another team.

There's a potential for alot of cap cuts this year due to many players being in the final year of their contract.  I don't think so however, with the exception of Foote.  The other surprise could be Casey Hampton, but I doubt it.  I think he has at lease a couple productive years left and very well could be extended with a back-loaded deal.

We presume that the Steelers will be willing to re-sign players as they have the last 5 years or so, but we have no idea how the ownership restructure affects the cash flow of the team.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:11 by DCSteelers » Logged
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:36 »

I think Foote and Snacks might be willing to take that hometown discount.  If you ask me I would rather be on a winning team that has a chance for another SB next year then sitting home after a 3-13 season, but have my money. 

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:42 »

Ah, also, who knows what kind of LTBE incentives will count against the 09 cap w/ the SB victory.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:43 »

I think Foote and Snacks might be willing to take that hometown discount.

Snacks MIGHT be able to get paid somewhere else.  I don't think Foote is going to get a job anywhere else in the league.  Heck, he might not be able to keep the one he has here.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 14:57 »

Depending on where you get your info, I've seen Pittsburgh anywhere from 17 million under to 25 million under.  To make it easier, let's just say that they'll be around 20 million under; especially after you factor in the cap increase.

Looking very quickly at these upcoming deals:

2009 RFAs
Colon
Arnie Harrison
Anthony Madison
McHugh
Anthony Smith

I think Colon, Madison and Smith get tendered.  I have no guess as to what level, ATM.

2009 UFAs
Batch
Berger
Bryant
Essex
Fox
Frazier
Kemoeatu
Leftwich
McFadden
Roye
M.Smith
Starks
N.Washingon

Speaking generally as to the starters/key personnel...Berger comes back, without question.  After that, I think the only guys that get longterm deals are McFadden, Kemoeatu and Batch.  McFadden needs to sign for less than Ike and Kemo needs to take a Hartwig like deal.  Batch comes back for around the same.

The remaining guys just aren't worth it, IMO.  Starks, Smith, N.Washington, et al. can all be replaced with as good or better talent.

What will make this offseason particularly interesting isn't just the UFAs they've got, it's the UFAs they'll have next year.  I believe Willie, Miller, Ward, J.Harrison, Clark?...Hamp?...Reed?...I think there are a few more that I'm forgetting...will all have expiring deals.

Again, very quickly, I think Miller should be extended; Ward should restructure; Clark should be extended, I think; Harrison probably deserves a whole new deal this year.  Willie?  Hampton?  Dunno.

I'm still holding out hope for a big FA move on the OL, but 20 million doesn't go very far after you resing McFadden and Kemo and extend a few of the core guys before '09 starts.  I still say that Gross should be the #1 target and maybe he'll be willing to play for a contender for 8 million per as opposed to the Chiefs for 10 million per.

*shrugs*

I'd also like to see a modest WR FA signing if Nate leaves.  Michael Jenkins or Devery Henderson...something like that.  That might be pushing it.  Maybe Sweed develops faster than expected and maybe a mid to late rounder surprises and competes.  Baker?  Again, dunno.

Really, I'm still basking in all of this.  Every time I see that #7 to #10 connection, I shake my head in disbelief.  Fucking money.  I know what happened, but I'm not sure if it really hit me yet.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 15:04 »

Depending on where you get your info, I've seen Pittsburgh anywhere from 17 million under to 25 million under.  To make it easier, let's just say that they'll be around 20 million under; especially after you factor in the cap increase.

Looking very quickly at these upcoming deals:

2009 RFAs
Colon
Arnie Harrison
Anthony Madison
McHugh
Anthony Smith

I think Colon, Madison and Smith get tendered.  I have no guess as to what level, ATM.

2009 UFAs
Batch
Berger
Bryant
Essex
Fox
Frazier
Kemoeatu
Leftwich
McFadden
Roye
M.Smith
Starks
N.Washingon

Speaking generally as to the starters/key personnel...Berger comes back, without question.  After that, I think the only guys that get longterm deals are McFadden, Kemoeatu and Batch.  McFadden needs to sign for less than Ike and Kemo needs to take a Hartwig like deal.  Batch comes back for around the same.

The remaining guys just aren't worth it, IMO.  Starks, Smith, N.Washington, et al. can all be replaced with as good or better talent.

What will make this offseason particularly interesting isn't just the UFAs they've got, it's the UFAs they'll have next year.  I believe Willie, Miller, Ward, J.Harrison, Clark?...Hamp?...Reed?...I think there are a few more that I'm forgetting...will all have expiring deals.

Again, very quickly, I think Miller should be extended; Ward should restructure; Clark should be extended, I think; Harrison probably deserves a whole new deal this year.  Willie?  Hampton?  Dunno.

I'm still holding out hope for a big FA move on the OL, but 20 million doesn't go very far after you resing McFadden and Kemo and extend a few of the core guys before '09 starts.  I still say that Gross should be the #1 target and maybe he'll be willing to play for a contender for 8 million per as opposed to the Chiefs for 10 million per.

*shrugs*

I'd also like to see a modest WR FA signing if Nate leaves.  Michael Jenkins or Devery Henderson...something like that.  That might be pushing it.  Maybe Sweed develops faster than expected and maybe a mid to late rounder surprises and competes.  Baker?  Again, dunno.

Really, I'm still basking in all of this.  Every time I see that #7 to #10 connection, I shake my head in disbelief.  Fucking money.  I know what happened, but I'm not sure if it really hit me yet.

I'm really only anxious about McFadden, Madison, and Fox. If we sign anyone else, it better be at a reasonable number. They don't get the Super Bowl bump. Every other guy is expendable. Fox and Madison solidified the special teams coverage (and they won't take all that much to sign), and McFadden is solid.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 15:09 »

I think this was the first game where I didn't have to correct my instinct to think #10 is Kordell.  I know it's weird but I see that number and it's a gut reaction.  Holmes has burned that memory away for good I think...

Speaking generally as to the starters/key personnel...Berger comes back, without question.  

Sorry if so but am I missing something here...i thought Robopunter would be back so we can dump Bergers ass??

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 15:30 »

Speaking generally as to the starters/key personnel...Berger comes back, without question.  

Sorry if so but am I missing something here...i thought Robopunter would be back so we can dump Bergers ass??

Even if Sepulveda had his kicking leg amputated at the knee and a bus load of punters perished in a firey crash, Berger ain't comin' back.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 15:33 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: