Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 17, 2014 at 20:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, now the Holmes catch wasn't a catch?  (Read 1652 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2009 at 14:26 »

"Does your dog bite?"
"Why, no."
Rowr
"I thought you said your dog does not bite."
"That's not my dog."

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 15:16 »

"Controversies" like this are my least favorite part of football. People love to act as though the refs robbed their team by bringing up any number of calls where an inch or tenth-of-a-second here or there makes the difference.

This complaining assumes that the players involved are just the helpless playthings of the whim of the refs. But -- they're not. The Cardinals could have, I don't know, covered the only guy we were throwing to the entire drive. Or they could have defended Roethlisberger better instead of letting him dance around for 5 seconds.

Same thing with the Warner fumble on their last play. Their line couldn't block a 3-man rush. Warner took his sweet ass time on the play -- all he was supposed to do was put a high throw in play. Well, he waited too long, and it sucks to be him.

My point is: if you make plays that cut it close, you're giving the refs an opportunity to call it against you.

And yes, I feel the same way about the Holmes catch that was taken away in the Ravens game. I think it was a catch, but I think Holmes was trying to do too much on that play and failed to control the ball. I think the same thing about the Polamalu interception against the Colts in the playoff game from a few years back. Polamalu should have just cradled the ball and given us possession but instead I think he wanted to be a hero and run around with the ball (or to be more generous, scoring with the ball in hand is just so instinctive that he wanted to pop up immediately and haul ass).

People complain about the refs in the NFL so much that it tends to dominate the post-game conversation of any big game.  I'm just so sick of it!!! There really aren't that many blatantly bad calls in the NFL, IMO. There are close calls that can go either way, but there really aren't that many Hochuli moments in football.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 15:40 »

Dude, I hate whiners as much as anybody, but whatever Troy's pick was or wasn't, it definitely WAS an interception.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:48 »

I'm with ya.  We shouldn't have to try and explain or validate a victory to other teams fans.  Our favorite team just won the Super Bowl, shut up about the bullshit controversies and let us enjoy it.

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with Lombardi Envy.  If the situations were reversed and the Cardinals won in the EXACT same manner as the Steelers did, no one would have brought it up because everybody loves an underdog.  Other teams' fans are jealous of us Steelers fans, and I guess I can't really blame them. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 07:56 »

People complain about the refs in the NFL so much that it tends to dominate the post-game conversation of any big game.  I'm just so sick of it!!! There really aren't that many blatantly bad calls in the NFL, IMO. There are close calls that can go either way, but there really aren't that many Hochuli moments in football.

Agreed.  Over the course of the game, MOST calls balance out.  Missed calls amount to a bunch of "what ifs" that can never be proven.  Plus, if you're going to ask "What if" about a call on the last play of the game, then you have to ask "What if" about that missed holding call on play 17.  In the end, it usually balances out.  Blaming the refs is the recourse of losers!  Grin

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with Lombardi Envy.  If the situations were reversed and the Cardinals won in the EXACT same manner as the Steelers did, no one would have brought it up because everybody loves an underdog.  Other teams' fans are jealous of us Steelers fans, and I guess I can't really blame them. 

There's more than a little truth in that statement.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:09 »

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with Lombardi Envy. 

Well of course it is.  Have you seen how tall that trophy is?  It also has girth on it's side.  I'm jealous right now.

PUMA
jasonic

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:24 »

they need to make a limited edition Super Bowl XLIII Longbardibong.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 13:43 »

they need to make a limited edition Super Bowl XLIII Longbardibong.

By "they" I assume you mean "you".

Besides, I believe the NFL rulebook explicity states that calls are non-reviewable once the victory parade has been held.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Manimal

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 15:29 »

Dude, I hate whiners as much as anybody, but whatever Troy's pick was or wasn't, it definitely WAS an interception.

I agree and I know what you mean! I have no doubt it was an interception. But my point is that Troy lost his grip on the ball and by doing so, he put the play in the hands of the refs. If he secures the ball, it isn't an issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: