Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MORE stupid shit from our front office  (Read 1836 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 14, 2014 at 11:29 »

We give OL Wes Johnson to the Jets.  Why?  So we could sign worthless Ross Ventrone, who did what on Sunday?  Who will ever amount to what exactly?  Because we needed more safeties?  And in Johnson, we had a 5-position OL guy who showed rookie rough edges but was certainly someone I was excited to see develop. 

Prediction:  Wes Johnson becomes a starter, a la Urbik, or wait, better yet, becomes a perennial Pro Bowler for the Jets.

Desperation + lack of preparation + stupidity = 2014 Steelers.  How we notched 3 wins is beyond me.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014 at 12:22 »

It's almost hard to believe they gave up a 5th rounder just to sign a guy to play on special teams.  Someone else couldn't have filled the Ventrone role? Seriously?  Make Mike Mitchell cover kicks FFS, maybe earn some of that 25 million.

There is so much to hate about this team right now.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014 at 13:32 »

Ventrone was presumably promoted for teams work.  Had a couple of hits.  Lot of good it did.  Try hard chap, and all that.  Still not worth giving up on our only OT drafted since Smoky Adams and the suddenly pedestrian (or worse) Beachum. 

Side note, I tried to frame the Beachum-as-LT notion as a pleasant surprise, but wondered whether it would last:  his physical limitations (speed, size, you know.. nothing major) would eventually be exposed.  But no, we were content to ride it out, hoping against hope that you don't need franchise LT talent, just franchise LT moxie.  I like Beachum, but more as a Trai Essex plus.  But, we decided to roll the dice on Smoke, and then did nothing when he showed nothing.  Wes in many ways was another Beachum, so to say he's a 5-position OL is misleading except when considering him an edge backup.  But possibly someone to mold into IOL starter?  I think so. 

Down a further avenue of side notes...

What coaches (NFL, NCAA) would you consider as replacements here?  And what would happen if tomorrow, we implemented the following changes:

*Omar Khan replaces Kevin Colbert as GM.
*John Mitchell replaces Mike Tomlin as HC.
*Mike Munchak is promoted to assistant HC.
*Keith Butler replaces Dick LeBeau as DC.
*Randy Fichtner replaces Todd Haley as OC.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2014 at 15:43 »

What coaches (NFL, NCAA) would you consider as replacements here?  And what would happen if tomorrow, we implemented the following changes:

*Omar Khan replaces Kevin Colbert as GM.
*John Mitchell replaces Mike Tomlin as HC.
*Mike Munchak is promoted to assistant HC.
*Keith Butler replaces Dick LeBeau as DC.
*Randy Fichtner replaces Todd Haley as OC.

TBH, don't know enough about a couple of those guys to offer any sort of informed opinion.

What I would say though, I think they need some new eyes with fresh perspectives and previous experience, not guys that have been position coaches for years (a couple of them in Pittsburgh) that get a bump because they're in the right place at the right time.

Despite what people say about the coaching, I think where they need their biggest changes is in the talent evaluation department.  Whether it's the GM, player personnel people, director of football administration or football operations from top to bottom, this is where it starts and it's what they've been severely lacking. 

IDGAF if you hire Jesus Christ himself to coach them, you can't coach a player to be talented.  Like you said (see sig stating the obvious), they suck because their drafts have been the suck.  Can't make lemonade from shit.  Couple that with piddly FA acquisitions here and there and well, you've got an 8-8 product if you're lucky; probably be more like 5-11 if they didn't have a top 10 QB...who hasn't exactly been razor sharp so far this year either, BTW.

Fix the guy(s) that scout, research, study and pick the talent and you'd see a significant improvement on this team.  Just look at teams like the Hags and the Niners.  It's not like Carroll and Harbaugh showed up and sprinkled some magical pixie dust on the guys on the roster and they became good.  They had some nice players, but they followed that up with solid drafts and good supplemental FA moves.

Shit, I remember when Carroll picked Bruce Irvin in R1 2 or 3 years ago and many (myself included) eyerolled that it was a terrible pick, he was reaching to fill a need, guy didn't understand how things are done in the NFL, etc.

Yeah...several home run draft picks later...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2014 at 15:58 »

Getting blown out by the Browns tends to put me in a "blow the whole thing up" kinda mood.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2014 at 10:10 »

Getting blown out by the Browns tends to put me in a "blow the whole thing up" kinda mood.

Me too.  Frankly, they should have been swept by the Browns.  I don't think this thing makes it to 8-8 this season.  At any rate, that's the ceiling.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2014 at 12:38 »

Should have been swept by the Browns, and could have easily, EASILY pissed away that Jags game. 

Gee, a 1-5 start is eerily reminiscent of 0-4, no?  We did improve to 2-4 last year.  All the same, really.  Any "improvement" down the stretch is yesterday's turds, down the toilet.

BTW, put Landry Jones on waivers, not a developmental OL guy.  Who's claiming Landry???

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2014 at 16:04 »

Should have been swept by the Browns, and could have easily, EASILY pissed away that Jags game. 

Gee, a 1-5 start is eerily reminiscent of 0-4, no?  We did improve to 2-4 last year.  All the same, really.  Any "improvement" down the stretch is yesterday's turds, down the toilet.

BTW, put Landry Jones on waivers, not a developmental OL guy.  Who's claiming Landry???
Landry should have been cut at camp anyway. Oh. .. and even if someone claims him,  who's going to care?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:54 »

Landry should have been cut at camp anyway. Oh. .. and even if someone claims him,  who's going to care?

Take my wife... please!

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:24 »

So now they lose Shaq Richardson via injury settlement.  Is the plan to draft 7 corners next year?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: