Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 00:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why We Should Thank God for MGS  (Read 2300 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Feb 06, 2009 at 17:19 »

And no, I'm not kidding, and I'm not taking the Lord's name in vain.

In my endless obsession with this Super Bowl victory and "talking" about the Steelers/football, I've visited the ESPN boards for both the Cardinals and Steelers.  I went to the Cardinals board intending to congratulate their fans and their team.  What I found was an endless sea of stupidity about the game, the officials, and how football is actually played.

I visited the Steeler board to revel in the thrill of a sweet victory and discuss one of the most exciting Super Bowls of all time.  What I found is an endless sea of trolls who were reveling in football stupidity. 

I knew that there was a vast wealth of football ignorance out there, as one only has to watch one episode of SportsCenter or read FoxSports to discover that.  What I had forgotten was how far that ignorance has spread.  I have no problem with fans showing their loyalty and sticking to their "fan-dom" with voracity.  I do have a problem when they let their fan-dom take them to the edge of stupidity.

The discussions about the officials, the James Harrison play, Ben's "status" as quarterback, etc. just demonstrates how far things have fallen.

I am just glad to have a place where we can discuss football reasonably, somewhat intelligently  B) and with some level of respect for each other's opinions.  On top of that, we can also act in a reasonable manner about most issues, and can even show support for one another about the struggles we face in life.  Yes, it's a little cheesy and sentimental, but I am very glad that we have this message board.  I am on it too much as it is, but would like to have even MORE discussion.  It is that enjoyable of a hobby for me.

Thank goodness we have a place where we do not have to deal with stupidity, outside of Brinker letting his head nearly explode every once in a while  Grin.  Glad that we have our own little nook of utopia!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 17:28 »

I'm just glad Preach started that Doubting Thomas thread a few weeks back.

He did the same thing near the end of the season, prior to the XL run.

As soon as I saw that, I knew we were golden.

dare2beme

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 17:50 »

DIS BORED HAS THE BIGEST BUNCHA HOMMERS ON IT THEN ANY ESPN BORAD IN HISTERY!!!!DONA KID URSELF! U G@YS ALL SUKKKKKK!!!!! INTELLAGINT MY AZZZZZZZ!

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 17:54 »

DIS BORED HAS THE BIGEST BUNCHA HOMMERS ON IT THEN ANY ESPN BORAD IN HISTERY!!!!DONA KID URSELF! U G@YS ALL SUKKKKKK!!!!! INTELLAGINT MY AZZZZZZZ!

LAERN WHO TO SPELL, ASSWHIP!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU JATE IT HEAR SO MUCH, NOBODDY'S BEGGING YOU T STAY, GENUOUS.......

I SHOULD HALF TOLED OATIS TO STICK A SHIV IN YOUR KIDNEY AT THE SUPPER BLOW IF I HADDA KNOWED WHAT A FUCKING WHINEY ASS MOTER FUKKER YOU WHAZZZZZZZ..... WAH! WAHHH! WAHHHHH!!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
dare2beme

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 18:04 »

(mess with the bull, get the horns) Smiley

I agree with Preach about what a wonderful haven this place is.  For the last year and a half, I've actually found a similar haven on the ESPN boards, the AFCN Draught Haus on the Bengal board.  Probably the longest running thread in the history of the ESPN boards.  A bunch of civil fans from all AFCN teams just kickin' it with friendly jibes and smack talk.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 20:15 »

Hell, if y'all don't know how much I love it here, y'all haven't been paying attention!
Now I just have to figure out how to organize a mass MGS get together so I can meet you assholes face to face!
;-)
Preach is right. Some of the most fulfilling conversations I have are on this board.
And, though it might sound a bit sad to an outsider, I consider most of you guys (& gal) very good friends.
But seriously, we do need a get together, especially since we've now won 2 Super Bowls since I've been around, and I've only gotten to hang with Sage so far...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 20:27 »

I think the same thing when I stumble on the U of M ESPN board and see the same shit.  I always think I should break away and start my own Wolverines board like this one!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 22:45 »

I think the same thing when I stumble on the U of M ESPN board and see the same shit.  I always think I should break away and start my own Wolverines board like this one!

Yeah, we need a collegesports.maximum grilled.com or something like that.  Add boards per school as needed, child boards per sport if necessary.  Hmm.  Let me know if you wanna be the overlord, bamf.

But yeah, it was a good thing to get away from ESPN years ago.  It really helped preserve the original group of posters and many cool new ones have come along since.  And it would be nifty to have a gathering some day.  All you folks in the NE could probably swing that but us poor fuckers scattered around the rest of the US would have a more difficult time attending.  Certainly something to think about though.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 16:00 »

Hell, if y'all don't know how much I love it here, y'all haven't been paying attention!
Now I just have to figure out how to organize a mass MGS get together so I can meet you assholes face to face!
;-)
Preach is right. Some of the most fulfilling conversations I have are on this board.
And, though it might sound a bit sad to an outsider, I consider most of you guys (& gal) very good friends.
But seriously, we do need a get together, especially since we've now won 2 Super Bowls since I've been around, and I've only gotten to hang with Sage so far...

Lets all meet at a game sometime.  That would be fun. I vote for Da Bears game next year. 

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:00 »

I really do appreciate having a place that will A) provide me with an well thought second opinion, B) tolerate my nonsense at times and C) give me a Football Oasis in my little Baltimore world.  It is also good that my wife has a place to lurk and read my thoughts.  Then, when I get home, she can tell me how much she agrees with me or tell me I'm an idiot for thinking that Ben might be underpaid. 

PUMA
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: