Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 10:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You asked for a better KR....  (Read 1705 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 09:46 »

The solution would be easy. If this guy can return kicks it's bye-bye Kerry Davis. Gary Russell is a better short yardage back. Moore is a better third down back. Don't know how good of a blocker Mchugh is, but he always seems to at least get a body on someone, which makes him a better blocker than Kerry Davis.

The coverage unit improved 100 % from 2007 to 2008. If we get that kind of improvement from out KR game, whether it be via draft or FA signing, watch out.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 11:30 »

I still think that the KR has to contribute in ways other than the return game.  He (or she, I'm not sexist!), has to either be helpful on coverage on special teams  or an able WR/RB/DB. 

I think we are deeper (with a healthy Mendenhall) at RB, so, I'd prefer either a DB or a WR.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
CrPederson
N00b

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 13:52 »

I agree that his chances are slim but I like the fact that the team is looking for a solution. I don't see Russell and Davis as locks but FWP, RM, and MM are ...Joystick was considered to be the most exciting player in the CFL, but that is almost like saying the best JUCO player. I don't know what he will bring and could end up like Bloom but the FO is looking for an upgrade. Size wise he would be the second shortest player in the league, Sproles is 5'6" but 181lbs, so he is 4lbs lighter but same type of player. Another roadblock for him is the fact that I do not think Arians could find a use for him.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 16:47 »

I agree that his chances are slim but I like the fact that the team is looking for a solution. I don't see Russell and Davis as locks but FWP, RM, and MM are .... Another roadblock for him is the fact that I do not think Arians could find a use for him.

Davis is definitely the least likely to hold his spot. He does play on the punt and KO coverage teams. It would surprise me to see Russell go at this point. With a decent OL he could convert a lot more short yardage situations. Gary also plays on the coverage units.

And most importantly, like you say, where does he fit in on the roster? The only chance would be to cut Davis, and dress 3 TE's with McHugh playing FB. He better light shit up if he makes it.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:24 »

Meh...its nice they are thinking about upgrading the worst pair of KO returners in Davis and Russell, but I doubt "Joystick" will make the team. What RB is he going to beat out? FWP, MM, GR, and RM seem pretty entrenched. Throw in Davis and thats 5 roster spots right there. They had Bloom in camp last year, and he is a similiar player, except he tried to make the team as a WR. They didn't give Bloom a roster spot last year to only be a KR, and I don't see it happening this year. He didn't get a signing bonus, so that ought to tell you something about his chances.

A healthy Mendnhall makes Russel expendable.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 12:39 »

A healthy Mendnhall makes Russel expendable.

I don't see how a healthy RM makes GR expendable. Espcially if Logan is the "replacement". RM has NOT proven himself one bit, either as a short yardage runner, or a RB in general. He is still a rook for all intents and purposes, and already has durability issues. MM is also not a short yardage back as we painfully saw repeatedly this year. Now maybe its the OL, but at this point I would not want to see the RB corps be FWP, MM, RM, and Logan.

Also, I think you are misunderestimating GR importance on the coverage teams this year too( 9 tackles, Baily had 16). Is RM going to cover punts and KO's?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be sad if he got cut, but would only like to see it for a bigger, tougher back and not a 177# speed guy or a healthy #1 pick that didn't make him expendable last training camp.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:14 »

GR is costing us practically nothing. Since he was undrafted, he won't get big money until he either has a break-out year (like a Barry Foster or FWP) or he's around for a while and the veteran minimum creeps up.  Until then, it would make no sense in cutting a guy who looks like he has the natural ability to contribute in a variety of areas.

It's a testament to the guy's athleticism that they LET him return kicks! Even if he is not a major threat to break one.

If a KR is to supplant anyone, I hope it's Carey Davis.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 09:05 »

They didn't just give this guy # 26 Huh???
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: