Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 10:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 958 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 08, 2009 at 14:11 »

So we didn't even register a fucking pulse this afternoon. No one fucking tried. Bunch of candy asses if you ask me. Shero and Therrian need to do something to wake this fucking team up. How bout cutting Satan? Send the message, "If you're just going to go through the motions then you will be fired." I know we're missing a few components, but there is no reason why this team can't be in the top 8 of the East right now.

And where the fuck is some support for Sid? Guy got beat up the whole fucking day!

Unless something drastic happens, there is no way in hell this team makes the playoffs. No way. So frustrating to watch...

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 14:43 »

The scoreboard isn't even close to indicating how much the Pens were dominated today. Softest bunch of softies in the league right now. The offense sucks, the power play sucks, the defense sucks which leads to MAF getting peppered with 50 shots a night which leads to the goaltending sucking.

Mike Yeo needs to get canned yesterday.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 15:52 »

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out....

A) Why Satan has not been benched yet?

B) Why Satan is still on this team?

C) Why we signed this bum in the first place? 

The biggest waste of money on that roster and one of the worst offseason signings I have ever seen from this organization in a long time.  I have never seen a guy in a Penguin uniform who is getting paid that much money, do so very little on a nightly basis.  Minus his one goal every 15-18 games, the man does absolutely nothing else.  Zero hustle, zero heart, zero determination.

Today was proof that this team can't hang with the big dogs.  Fleury has looked great over the last two games, but his rebound control today was horrible.  Granted, it doesn't help when your offense can't get going and your defense and goaltender have to do all the work.  In the first period, I thought the team looked pretty good.  They were hitting everything that moved and getting some chances.  After that beautiful goal by Hossa in which Staal should have knocked him on his ass, the team cashed it in and called it a day.

It's not going to be any easier against San Jose on Wednesday night.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 19:03 »

The biggest waste of money on that roster and one of the worst offseason signings I have ever seen from this organization in a long time.  I have never seen a guy in a Penguin uniform who is getting paid that much money, do so very little on a nightly basis.  Minus his one goal every 15-18 games, the man does absolutely nothing else.  Zero hustle, zero heart, zero determination.

This is the exact same critism Islander fans warned us of when Shero signed Shitan. If the entire Islander fan base could see it, how did Shero miss it?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 20:36 »

Unless something drastic happens, there is no way in hell this team makes the playoffs. No way. So frustrating to watch...

I said weeks ago that if Shero is going to make a move, he better make it quick.  Now we are a point where we have 27 games left in the season and nothing has changed.  Personally, I thought Shero would have made a move during the All-Star break, but as each day passes the more and more I'm starting to realize that we might just play this season out and look to free agency.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him make some small moves before the season ends, but nothing big. 

The only thing I ask of Shero in the offseason is that he stay away from the old guys who have nothing left in the tank and are simply looking to come along for the ride and make that last paycheck.  While I'm aware of the fact that not all old players are bums like Miroslav Satan, I would rather see us go after a player who is still young/relatively young.  A player with speed who is capable of hanging with Sid or Geno and netting us some goals.

The one upcoming UFA I would love to see this team go after in the offseason is Cammalleri.  He has the speed and the shot to play next to Sid or Geno.  He's only 26 years old.  He made around $3.3 this season, so I'm sure we could get him around maybe $4.0-$4.5, no higher than $5.0 I would think.  He has put up very respectable numbers over the last three seasons considering he played on a pretty bad Kings team.  Since being traded to the Flames last season, he has 27 goals and 23 assists so far this season.  Not bad.  Imagine what he could do on a line with Sid or Geno.

Eitherway, if Shero wants a legitimate scorer, he's going to have to pay.  He's going to have part with some players that he may not be willing to part with who are upcoming UFA's.  That's the price you have to pay if you want to be competitive.  If you want to be a team that looks like this current group, go out and pick up the Miroslav Satan's of the NHL.  Shero has a good bit of proving to do this offseason if he chooses to call this one quits.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 00:13 »

There appears to be a growing tension between Penguins coach Michel Therrien and right wing Miroslav Satan.

Satan played only nine minutes and 37 seconds Sunday in the Penguins' 3-0 loss to the Detroit Red Wings at Mellon Arena. He played just 2:36 over three opening-period shifts.

Therrien declined to provide a specific reason for Satan's limited ice time.

"No, he didn't play a lot," Therrien said.

Satan was not available for comment.

On Wednesday morning, Therrien said Satan would not play at home that night against Tampa Bay. It was Satan's 1,000th NHL game. Therrien reversed his decision in the afternoon, and Satan was inserted into the lineup.

Satan has played fewer than 10 minutes only twice this season. He had averaged over 15 minutes in 14 contests since playing only 9:19 at the New York Rangers on Jan. 3.

Satan, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract as free agent in July, has scored only two goals since that game against the Rangers. He has 14 goals on the season but just six in his past 42 games.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_610817.html
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 00:18 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 09:19 »

This is the exact same critism Islander fans warned us of when Shero signed Shitan. If the entire Islander fan base could see it, how did Shero miss it?

Just my guess/opinion....

I think Shero waited too long on the Hossa decision.  Then he hit desperation mode even though there were other options out there other than Satan.  It would have costed us more money, but what's the difference?  He was going to give $7.0-7.5 to Marian Hossa.  Why not pay the extra million/million and a half to a guy who would at least bring something to the table? 

My problem now with the Satan/Shero situation is why haven't we cut him?  You have to pay the guy his $3.5 eitherway.  Whether you keep him or not, that money is already flushed down the toilet.  Why not bring up a prospect?  They can't be any worse than Satan.  They probably won't produce, but at least they will act like they actually give a shit.  Cut your losses, show some balls, swallow your pride and just admit that it was a horrible signing from day one and bring up a guy who wants to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 09:35 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:34 »

I submitted a question to Dave Molinari in the Q&A section of the PPG asking why they don't just cut the bastard. I got an email this morning from him.
"You can't just "cut" a player in the NHL, the way you can in football, and I don't think they're eager to pay a guy $3.5 million to play in the minors, especially when he (in theory only, to this point) has the ability to score some goals, which is not the case with most winger in their organization. It's safe to assume won't be back next season, however."-Dave Molinari

Well if that's the case, sending him to the minors would be the best thing to do. We're losing $3.5 million either way. He doesn't play $3.5 million dollar a year hockey, so just send his ass down. Might wake him the fuck up, who knows?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 16:26 »

Obviously, he has not come close to living up to their expectations, and his inability to contribute in other situations when he's not scoring has rendered him pretty much of no value to this team. There's always a chance he'll start producing goals on a regular basis, but there's also a chance the Penguins' game against San Jose tomorrow will be postponed because an asteroid will land on Mellon Arena in late afternoon. Don't bet big money on either, however.

First, my money is on the asteroid.

Second, what's the difference if the guy is playing on the Penguins and getting paid $3.5 or sitting at home on his sofa and receiving the $3.5?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: