Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 07:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Smith, the OL  (Read 1682 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:16 »

So, he says that he could have played in the Super Bowl if needed.  That now he's at 100 percent and *really* got the problem fixed this time.

So, is that like saying in August that "Bettis is in the best shape of his career?"

I wonder what they could get him for?  Is it really an either/or situation with he and Starks?  Wouldn't Smith/Starks bookends and Colon moved to RG with *anyone else* at LG be an improvement over last season?

And still plan on drafting plenty of big uglies.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:20 »

If Marvel stays, which would be nice since I just got a Marvel-autographed helmet for Christmas, I still think they should move him to right and keep Starks at left.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:26 »

That now he's at 100 percent and *really* got the problem fixed this time.

Of course he does.  A "gently used, in excellent condition" LT will get considerably more on the open market than a "refurbished, engine rebuilt...multiple times; at the very least, salvagable for parts" LT would.

Smith/Starks...Don't let the door hit ya...

Hopefully they go to a team that Pittsburgh faces in '09.  Harrison and Woodley might hit double digit sacks in those games.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:30 »

I don't know...  Feasibilty wise, re-upping Marvel with an incentive laden deal for a couple years makes sense, if he is truly 100%.  How do we know he won't have another back issue?

I like the idea of Marvel and Starks at the tackles if the price is right.  Move Colon to a guard spot.  Re-up Hartwig.  Now the drafting of an OL is not as pressing, but still should be a priority.  If a franchise type of Guard is available late in 1st round, go for it, otherwise focus on a NT or a groomable DL.  (BTW, I liked Nick Eason's play this year, at least in a back-up capacity)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:36 »

As a player, Starks '09 > Smith '09, IMO.  But... Starks '09 $$$ > Smith '09 $.  Somebody will overpay Starks.  If we can keep Smith for 3 years at a number close to minimum, we'd have a guy who can potentially start at LT while a rookie is learning, or could slide to RT and move Colon in, and at worst would be a swing backup.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:44 »

As a player, Starks '09 > Smith '09, IMO.  But... Starks '09 $$$ > Smith '09 $.  Somebody will overpay Starks.  If we can keep Smith for 3 years at a number close to minimum, we'd have a guy who can potentially start at LT while a rookie is learning, or could slide to RT and move Colon in, and at worst would be a swing backup.

People didn't even look at Starks last season, but he was restricted then and had that tag.  Yeah, somebody probably will pay the starting LT of the SB winner.

I can't see them getting Smith so cheaply though.  Close to vet min?  Isn't that under $1M per?  Hell, somebody is bound to pay him twice that just to see what he's got left and serve as a backup if nothing else.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:57 »

People didn't even look at Starks last season, but he was restricted then and had that tag.  Yeah, somebody probably will pay the starting LT of the SB winner.

I can't see them getting Smith so cheaply though.  Close to vet min?  Isn't that under $1M per?  Hell, somebody is bound to pay him twice that just to see what he's got left and serve as a backup if nothing else.

With Starks being tagged, we have no idea what teams would have paid, but as you say, he got the world stage this season.  IMO, he'll be in that second tier of OTs, probably go play RT somewhere. 

Yeah, at 10 years, the vet minimum is $845,000.  I'm not suggesting we get him for 3/$2.7M, but I think the league sees him as done due to injuries.  Maybe throw a deal like 3/$4.5M, with maybe $3M salary and $1.5M guaranteed.  If he doesn't like it, let him walk.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:57 »

Man, they go out and win a measely 6th Lombardi and everybody starts having second thoughts about the Gashes.

You guys are gettin' soft.

B)

Seriously, Starks made 7 million last year and had numerous opportunities to sign a long term deal, but they couldn't come to terms.  He ain't gonna sing for a deal now that pays him anything less than that per; especially after having started at LT down the stretch, through the playoffs and in the SB.  Don't forget that this is his second SB where he was a part of the starting lineup.

Smith, even if viewed as a backup contributor/stopgap veteran fill-in as they groom a rook, will command some good coin.  I just don't see him singing a deal that pays him anywhere near the minimum.  I don't even see him singing a Hartwig like deal that averages a couple million a season which IMO, would still be too much, but I could at least stomach it.  A move like that would essentially equate to him taking a 50% paycut though.  He does that and I'll eat my hat.

Somebody will give Starks a big 5 year deal in the 35 million dollar range.  Somebody will give Smith a 3 year deal in the 12-15 million dollar range.

Those guys are gone and I say, good riddance.  We've been saying that the front five was due for some wholesale changes for years now.  Well, here's your chance, Pittsburgh...
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:59 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:02 »

Yeah, I see what you mean aj, esp re:  Starks.  However, I could live with finny's 3yr/$4.5M contract for Smith.

Just what does this Tony Hills guy have?   Seemed an odd pick considering the injuries he's had.  Is he 100% healthy now?  Hmmm.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:05 »

Just what does this Tony Hills guy have?   Seemed an odd pick considering the injuries he's had.  Is he 100% healthy now?  Hmmm.

Best shape of his career!

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: