Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 19:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sugar Ray Leonard Retiring Again.  (Read 1191 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« on: Feb 11, 2009 at 08:49 »

Er. I mean. Brett Favre
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 08:52 »

Whatever.  Start the countdown till he unretires. 

:whackamole:

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:28 »

Whatever.  Start the countdown till he unretires. 

:whackamole:

the Jets are gonna s u c k suck suck suck.  Wish we had the AFCE next year.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:24 »

the Jets are gonna s u c k suck suck suck.  Wish we had the AFCE next year.

Nah, after they draft the Dirty Sanchez, Ryan will come out smelling like roses.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:39 »

Ya know, I'm at the gym trying to do some cardio. Usually I keep an eye on SC to kill some time during my 30 minute sweat.

For the past few days I had to watch Gammons and A-Roid in the interview that was apparently filmed my Earl Miller and the good folks at Penthouse.

Today, they're trying to get anyone they can on the horn to talk about Favre. When I left I think they were interviewing the last guy to change the oil in Irv's pickup.

I was almost longing for shitty NBA highlights.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 18:10 »

I'm shocked there was no teary-eyed press conference and week long highlights of the teary-eyed press conference which would run non-stop until the press conference where he demands his release or trade to the team of his choice. And people call Ben a drama queen.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 18:47 »

I'm shocked there was no teary-eyed press conference and week long highlights of the teary-eyed press conference which would run non-stop until the press conference where he demands his release or trade to the team of his choice. And people call Ben a drama queen.

Don't worry.  In the following weeks, expect one or more of the following:

• An exclusive inerview wherein Brett reveals he may not be finished playing football, if he can find a team he really wants to play for.
  • Brett Favre, the Musical.
  • Brett decides to go on Dancing with the Stars.
  • Brett goes back to college, because dang it, he still can beat a bunch of scrawny young 'uns, if he has NCAA eligibility, which he will on accounta he's Brett Favre.
  • Kellen Clemens will be jailed, after a vague incident involving Brett going to dinner with Rex Ryan to discuss "posssibilities," and Clemens leaping from a potted plant with a 10" chef's knife, resulting in lacerations to Favre, Ryan, and a waitress named Misty.
  • Brett Favre challenging Kyle Boller to throw the ball throw the uprights, on their knees, from 70 yards away, drunk off their asses on Wild Turkey.
  • Brett Favre changes his name to Ett-Bray Arve-Fay and enters the 2009 draft.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 18:49 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 07:19 »

And people call Ben a drama queen.

Ben is a bit of a drama queen.  But he's a drama queen who has more Super Bowl wins that Brett Favreau.

And Brett Favreau is the Drama Empress of the Universe.  Disguised in his "Aw Shucks" good ole boy Mississippi bs.  I guess Ben could work on that downhome impersonation, but that would mean that he'd have to act like someone from Ohio.  I don't want to see any pro QB imitating anything out of Ohio.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
dare2beme

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 07:35 »

Ben just still needs some more time to shed that "Ohio boy" mentality.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009 at 10:28 »

• Brett Favre changes his name to Ett-Bray Arve-Fay and enters the 2009 draft.

My fav.

I tells ya, hangin' on for too long (arguably) and doin' this Mississippi two step retirement shuffle year after year really does a number on how you're perceived in the eyes of fans.  I had this convo on another board with a buncha fans who were adamant that Favre is not a top 5 all timer.  I know that the "greatest QBs of all time" is seriously subjective and you can make a case for 46 different top 5 lists, but it really surprised me how many people were completely against having him on any list.

In the end though, I kinda chalked it up to those people probably being too young to really remember his great years.

LambertsFrontTeeth
    Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 18:36 »

He ain't on my top-five. Unless it's my list of the "Top Five All-Time Overated INT Machines that Peter King Dreams of Giving Oral Pleasure Whilst Eating his Eleventh Consecutive Ho Ho."

He's tops on that list.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
    - - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
    aj_law
    Global Moderator
    Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 12:11 »

He ain't on my top-five. Unless it's my list of the "Top Five All-Time Overated INT Machines that Peter King Dreams of Giving Oral Pleasure Whilst Eating his Eleventh Consecutive Ho Ho."

He's tops on that list.

If you aren't old enough to remember (or just plain forgot if you are), I suggest you go back and check out what is probably the best 3 year stretch by any NFL QB in history...1995-1997.  Absolutely insane production with basically no help from anyone that will ever see the inside of the HOF (Sterling Sharpe excepted) unless it's as a visitor.  3 consecutive MVP seasons.

Think, what guys like Brady and Manning are accomplishing in today's game only more impressive.  If either of those two retire tomorrow and don't play another snap, they're probably top 5, right?  If a guy like Manning plays for another 8-10 years and his skills diminish, I wonder how many will still feel that way then.

Really, it's Favre's last three years that kill his "where he sits on all-time lists" stock.

LambertsFrontTeeth
    Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 16:42 »

He's tops on that list.

If you aren't old enough to remember (or just plain forgot if you are), I suggest you go back and check out what is probably the best 3 year stretch by any NFL QB in history...1995-1997.  Absolutely insane production with basically no help from anyone that will ever see the inside of the HOF (Sterling Sharpe excepted) unless it's as a visitor.  3 consecutive MVP seasons.

Think, what guys like Brady and Manning are accomplishing in today's game only more impressive.  If either of those two retire tomorrow and don't play another snap, they're probably top 5, right?  If a guy like Manning plays for another 8-10 years and his skills diminish, I wonder how many will still feel that way then.

Really, it's Favre's last three years that kill his "where he sits on all-time lists" stock.

You're probably right that I am short selling Favre on his overall accomplishments, my perception skewed by the last few years of wild inconsistencies. I've also been very turned off on his (in my opinion) selfish ways during those past few seasons.

While he is definitely a HOF'r, I still put him somewhere in the lower five of the top 10.  He was not as great a passer as Marino (who never had a defense, a running game, and had overrated receivers), or as big a winner as Montana or Brady (who I hate, but have to put in the top five, but on the basis of big game production, not stats or regular season exploits).

I think that Elway was better.  Steve Young was very mobile, and threw many less INT's (granted in a West Coast system, but still). Also Young played less snaps, taking a while to get past Montana.

There were some "field general" types like Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach that have less gaudy stats but were awfully tough to play.

Bradshaw was bigger in big games (though he always had better teams). I'm not a Peyton fan, but perhaps an argument may also be that he is better. I don't put Peyton in the top five;  he's lost way too many big games as a favorite.

That's not even considering the numerous old time QB's playing.   I didn't see Unitas play live, but his NFL film stuff has always blown me away, and what about guys like Sammy Baugh, Bart Starr or Otto Graham?

I just can't say that Favre was consistently better than enough of those guys to put him in my top five. And I'm sure that Peter King thinks he's numero uno...until next week of course.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
    - - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
    Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: