Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 15:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sugar Ray Leonard Retiring Again.  (Read 1305 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2009 at 18:36 »

He ain't on my top-five. Unless it's my list of the "Top Five All-Time Overated INT Machines that Peter King Dreams of Giving Oral Pleasure Whilst Eating his Eleventh Consecutive Ho Ho."

He's tops on that list.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 12:11 »

He ain't on my top-five. Unless it's my list of the "Top Five All-Time Overated INT Machines that Peter King Dreams of Giving Oral Pleasure Whilst Eating his Eleventh Consecutive Ho Ho."

He's tops on that list.

If you aren't old enough to remember (or just plain forgot if you are), I suggest you go back and check out what is probably the best 3 year stretch by any NFL QB in history...1995-1997.  Absolutely insane production with basically no help from anyone that will ever see the inside of the HOF (Sterling Sharpe excepted) unless it's as a visitor.  3 consecutive MVP seasons.

Think, what guys like Brady and Manning are accomplishing in today's game only more impressive.  If either of those two retire tomorrow and don't play another snap, they're probably top 5, right?  If a guy like Manning plays for another 8-10 years and his skills diminish, I wonder how many will still feel that way then.

Really, it's Favre's last three years that kill his "where he sits on all-time lists" stock.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 16:42 »

He's tops on that list.

If you aren't old enough to remember (or just plain forgot if you are), I suggest you go back and check out what is probably the best 3 year stretch by any NFL QB in history...1995-1997.  Absolutely insane production with basically no help from anyone that will ever see the inside of the HOF (Sterling Sharpe excepted) unless it's as a visitor.  3 consecutive MVP seasons.

Think, what guys like Brady and Manning are accomplishing in today's game only more impressive.  If either of those two retire tomorrow and don't play another snap, they're probably top 5, right?  If a guy like Manning plays for another 8-10 years and his skills diminish, I wonder how many will still feel that way then.

Really, it's Favre's last three years that kill his "where he sits on all-time lists" stock.

You're probably right that I am short selling Favre on his overall accomplishments, my perception skewed by the last few years of wild inconsistencies. I've also been very turned off on his (in my opinion) selfish ways during those past few seasons.

While he is definitely a HOF'r, I still put him somewhere in the lower five of the top 10.  He was not as great a passer as Marino (who never had a defense, a running game, and had overrated receivers), or as big a winner as Montana or Brady (who I hate, but have to put in the top five, but on the basis of big game production, not stats or regular season exploits).

I think that Elway was better.  Steve Young was very mobile, and threw many less INT's (granted in a West Coast system, but still). Also Young played less snaps, taking a while to get past Montana.

There were some "field general" types like Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach that have less gaudy stats but were awfully tough to play.

Bradshaw was bigger in big games (though he always had better teams). I'm not a Peyton fan, but perhaps an argument may also be that he is better. I don't put Peyton in the top five;  he's lost way too many big games as a favorite.

That's not even considering the numerous old time QB's playing.   I didn't see Unitas play live, but his NFL film stuff has always blown me away, and what about guys like Sammy Baugh, Bart Starr or Otto Graham?

I just can't say that Favre was consistently better than enough of those guys to put him in my top five. And I'm sure that Peter King thinks he's numero uno...until next week of course.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: