Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 21:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonchar cleared  (Read 1400 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Feb 11, 2009 at 10:38 »

Stan Savran is reporting that Gonchar has been cleared to play by doctor and should be in the line up as soon as Saturday.

Help up Sergei Gonchar, you're our only hope!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 11:14 »

Here's the Post Gazette cliping...

Penguins' Gonchar cleared to play
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar today received medical clearance to return to the lineup.

Gonchar, the team's top defenseman and quarterback of the power play, will not play tonight against San Jose. He said he will continue to practice and judge himself day to day to determine when he believes he is ready to return. That could be Saturday at Toronto.

Gonchar has been out all season. A shoulder injury in a preseason game required surgery.

First published on February 11, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Great news not only for the power play but I'm hoping that his return may instill a little confidence in the rest of the defensemen and get then to step up their play a bit. His earlier than expected return gives Shero a little time to assess his defense and possibly make a few moves before the trade deadline.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:02 »

The good news: It should help out our PP and breakouts.

The bads news: It's probably going to take him some time to get back in the swing of things.

The really bad news: It won't do much for our lack of production by our wingers while playing 5 on 5 hockey.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:28 »

The good news: It should help out our PP and breakouts.

The bads news: It's probably going to take him some time to get back in the swing of things.

The really bad news: It won't do much for our lack of production by our wingers while playing 5 on 5 hockey.

The really, really bad news:
Add yet another defense to the list...oh and this probably means the Goligoski won't play the rest of the year unless Shero trades a couple people.

D1-Whitney and Gonchar-They've always played well together, especially on the PP. Maybe Gonchar's return help Whitney out too.
D2-Letang and Orpik
D3-Goligoski and Gil/Scuderi

Eaton has been playing fairly well, but you never know when the guys going to get hurt again, and Boucher has been a dud.

I wouldn't mind tossing Eaton in the lineup if we traded Whitney for a competent forward though. But I have a feeling that we wont see Goligoski until next season, and that's just bullshit. Earlier in the year(when we actually looked good) I said they might wanna sit him in the playoffs (playoffs?!...playoffs?!) and let the more experienced dmen play, but now it looks as if we aren't going to make the playoffs, and if we do, we'll exit early. Might as well give Goligoski some more experience and let him play.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:31 by whitmer_87 » Logged

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:54 »

If I were Gogo, I would be pretty pissed off at the organization.  The guy came in and did everything that was asked and then some, only to be sent back down to WBS.  It would be different if the kid came in and played like shit, but he led all rookie defensemen in goals (and defensemen on this team) and played some solid defense. 

All season long people were complaining that we were not getting enough goals from our defense, so what do we do? We send down one of the guy's on defense who is capable of shooting the puck on net and scoring goals.  Nevermind his passing and skating abilities at the point while on the PP.  Pretty dumb if you ask me.  I'm hoping we dump a few defensemen in the next few weeks (do we really have a choice?) and bring Gogo back up to the pros where he deserves to be.  What is he going to benefit from while playing in the minors? 

In my opinion, Letang, Orpik, Gogo and Gonchar are the only untouchables on defense. 

Scuderi:  Solid d-man.  Dependable.  He very rarely takes a dumb penalty.  Underrated in my opinion.  Untouchable though?  I wouldn't go that far.

Eaton: The injuries he has had over the years have been freak injuries, one coming from a Cheechoo slew foot.  Luck has not been on Eaton's side when it comes to injuries.  Although his game has looked good over the last few weeks.  He has played some solid defense.  If he were to be traded, it would also free up a nice chunk of cash.  Untouchable?  I wouldn't go that far.

Gill: What he lacks in speed and mobility, he makes up for with solid positioning and stick reach.  Untouchable?  I don't think so.

Boucher: I don't see one team out there willing to take Boucher, his age and his $2.5 salary off our hands.  When the season is over, I don't see the Penguins resigning him.

Whitney:  Is definately trade bait, but I'm not sure how much we will get in return for the guy after watching the way he has played since his return this season and going all the way back to last season, minus the Detroit series.  Frankly, the guy has looked like shit at both ends of the ice since returning to the team.  What he did in 06-07 was impressive, but GM's tend to focus on what a guy is doing right now and right now, he's not doing much.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:11 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:30 »

Whitney's definitely the guy I'd like to see moved off that list.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:31 »

Also, just something to think about.....

What if a team who is one step away from making a playoff run and in desperate need of an established offensive-defenseman decides to ask Shero about Gonchar this year?  

I considered Gonchar an "untouchable" only because I'm thinking about this season, but if Shero is in fact calling it a year and is looking to the offseason to fix this team, would you be willing to part with Gonchar at his age and at his cost if it meant grabbing a legitimate forward for years to come?

We have Letang and Gogo establishing themselves as offensive d-men on this team, it would definately clear up some much needed cap room and he's not getting any younger (34, will be in 35 in April).  Plus, we always have the option of picking up or drafting a defenseman in the future if need be.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:34 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:33 »

Just something to think about.

What if a team who is one step away from making a playoff run and in desperate need of an established offensive-defenseman decides to ask Shero about Gonchar this year?  

I considered Gonchar an "untouchable" only because I'm thinking about this season, but if Shero is in fact calling it a year and is looking to the offseason to fix this team, would you be willing to part with Gonchar at his age and at his cost if it meant grabbing a legitimate forward for years to come?

We have Letang and Gogo establishing themselves as offensive d-men on this team, it would definately clear up some much needed cap room and he's not getting any younger (34, will be in 35 in April).  Plus, we always have the option of picking up or drafting a defenseman in the future if need be.

Interesting.  Plus Malkin can speak English now, so there's that, too.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:56 »

Interesting.  Plus Malkin can speak English now, so there's that, too.

It's a tough call in my opinion and I'm sure many would consider it absolutely crazy to even think about.

On one hand, you have Letang and Gogo coming along very nicely.  We would probably be able to address our lack of a legitimate scoring winger for Crosby and possibly another less talented and cheaper winger for the second line depending on who it is and what Shero is willing to give up besides Gonchar in the trade.

On the other hand, both Gogo and Letang are still young and if you trade Gonchar, that's one good offensive-minded veteran defensemen who is no longer on the team.  We would be banking on Gogo and Letang taking the reigns when it comes to bringing some offense from our defense. 

Personally, I would have to see the names being thrown around in return for Gonchar.  I wouldn't completely rule it out though at this point.  If it means helping our future and getting Crosby that legitimate winger, I would definately think about it.

Or maybe this is just my mind going into NHL09 franchise mode?  If so, I apologize.  Sad

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:15 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 14:41 »

Or maybe this is just my mind going into NHL09 franchise mode?  If so, I apologize.  Sad

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I just want to add that NHL 09 is a fucking amazing game! haha I really need to play it more. The Superstar mode kicks ass.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: