Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 19:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We don't need no stinkin' evidence  (Read 5598 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:17 »

Complete with "proof" that dinosaurs and people lived together and no dinosaurs were meat-eaters:

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
dare2beme

« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:22 »

I just got flashbacks to my Saturday Morning Cartoons days...this was Jercules, Aquaman's cousin right?

I can't stop posting to this thread!

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:29 »

I don't believe that there is an invisible man in the clouds who is watching us at all times. I don't believe there is a hell, or even a heaven. I don't buy into superstitions and quack job beliefs. I think religion was invented by man to control primitive minds, and to keep people in line. Or sometimes out of line (The Spanish Inquisition and The Crusades are good examples of this). I think it's all a bunch of man made bullshit. Much like Mother Goose, and the Wizard of Oz. Since the beginning of time, humans have made up hundreds of thousands of religions to explain the unexplainable. To make themselves feel like they have meaning and purpose on this planet. I happen to think it was all just some biological accident.

However, I don't rule out the possibility of some sort of great energy shaping everything. Doesn't necessarily have to be a calculating conscious being, but maybe just a great force of energy. I think it's unexplainable. So that's why I consider myself to be an Agnostic. It seems just as dogmatic to completely rule out the possibility of a creator as it does to say that there is a one true all powerful God in the sky. Granted the atheists have a lot more going for them IMO. It's hard to argue with science and logic.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:51 »

AJ with a pic of the REAL Lizard King!

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:57 »

It seems just as dogmatic to completely rule out the possibility of a creator as it does to say that there is a one true all powerful God in the sky.

The key word here is "seems".  There's nothing dogmatic about "ruling out" the possibility of something for which there is no proof whatsoever; there's nothing there to "rule out".  People have believed in astrology for longer than they have a monotheistic god; are you agnostic with respect to this as well?  By your logic we cannot reject as possible the existence of dragons, centaurs, Mr. Mxyzpltk, +2 cloaks of invisibility or heads on a pillow either.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
dare2beme

« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 14:06 »

By your logic we cannot reject as possible the existence of dragons, centaurs, Mr. Mxyzpltk, +2 cloaks of invisibility or heads on a pillow either.  

Or Jesus on a Jetpack?

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 14:23 »

Agnostics are more concerned with the question, "Can it be proved?"  For me it's not a matter of semantics or mathematical proofs, I just don't believe.  That's atheism.  Don't need a reason.  My choice.  Hell, it's not even a choice.  My lack of choice - I didn't make the choice to add the belief in a deity.

Actually, that's not true.  Raised in the bible-belt, went to church 3 times a week through most of my schooling, "saved" at an early age.  I had to unteach myself many things and it took quite some time.  Cognitive dissonance = unhealthy.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 14:28 »

By your logic we cannot reject as possible the existence of dragons, centaurs, Mr. Mxyzpltk, +2 cloaks of invisibility or heads on a pillow either.  

Or Jesus on a Jetpack?

"Mommy, look up in the sky!  It's Juh Juh Juh ... Jedi Jetpack Jesus!"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 14:38 »

The key word here is "seems".  There's nothing dogmatic about "ruling out" the possibility of something for which there is no proof whatsoever; there's nothing there to "rule out".  People have believed in astrology for longer than they have a monotheistic god; are you agnostic with respect to this as well?  By your logic we cannot reject as possible the existence of dragons, centaurs, Mr. Mxyzpltk, +2 cloaks of invisibility or heads on a pillow either.  

Depends on the level of ridiculousness I guess. To you, a monotheistic god, astrology, and +2 invisibility cloaks are on the same level of ridiculousness(which I'm inclined to believe as well). Whereas most people would disagree. I do not belief in god, just as do not belief in dragons or centaurs. Like I said, I really think this was some sort of biological accident. If you look at the origins of Earth, there is no way a reasonable person could say it was created with the intent of harboring life, let alone intelligent life. The earth's surface resembled that of Venus. Then, in a process that took about 2 billion years water vapor caught into the earth's atmosphere and a couple layers of atmosphere burned off. Plant life eventually developed and life started from there. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of details, just as I'm sure you probably know the story. It is highly unlikely that an intelligent god consciously made that 4 billion year process happen with the snap of his fingers in just 6 days. But can I prove it? Of course not.

I consider myself an agnostic because I simply believe there is no way we can know. Whether a god did it, a strong energy force, a biological accident, or Harry Potter conjured it all up with his wand. There is little to no proof available. Maybe my logic is flawed, but I think matters like this all logic is flawed in some way or another. That's why there are so many different belief systems out there. How do you explain the unexplainable?

Just look at Preacher. He seems to be a very smart guy, just as you do. But you both have very different views on this subject. And both of you believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're both right. So who actually is right? Who fucking knows?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 15:22 »

Bad time to mention I'm getting more involved with our church?

wacko

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: