Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 03:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We don't need no stinkin' evidence  (Read 5291 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 11:48 »

Quote from: Preacherman0
Penso, if I may ask (or if you feel like sharing), what do you teach and where do you teach it? 

I teach at Brooklyn College in the department of Classics; my Ph.D. is Greek from the University of St. Andrews; I teach mostly Ancient Greek and Greek and Roman Lit.

Let me also say that the book of Hebrews is something of a mystery, in that it was for centuries attributed to the apostle Paul, even though I don't believe Paul wrote it. 

True dat about the authorship; I assumed you were toeing the company line.  And you're right, the Greek is far too good for Paul, and so is the logic.

However, I would also add that my faith doesn't hang on one passage of scripture.  There are many debated passages like this one, but I still find the whole of scripture to reveal valuable truth.

And please don't take it that I'm trying to dissuade you from your faith, or that I think there aren't good things that come from the practice of genuine faith and, as you have said, practice.   

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 12:12 »

I teach at Brooklyn College in the department of Classics; my Ph.D. is Greek from the University of St. Andrews; I teach mostly Ancient Greek and Greek and Roman Lit.

Wow.  And I was all impressed with myself for starting my EdD next year.  Those are some serious credentials.

And please don't take it that I'm trying to dissuade you from your faith, or that I think there aren't good things that come from the practice of genuine faith and, as you have said, practice.   

Not at all!  I doubt we'll ever come to consensus on a lot of this, since we're coming at it from very different perspectives.  But I think that we usually improve ourselves when we are willing to listen to different points of view. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #82 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 17:19 »

HUH?Huh?Huh?Huh?!!!!!!!11

NOW LETS TALK SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: