Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 15:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We don't need no stinkin' evidence  (Read 5238 times)
dare2beme

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:27 »

Of course the theory has evolved since being published.  Same for the works of Newton and Einstein, people have continued to work in those areas, fleshing out the sparse places, making small corrections as needed.  More evidence has been accumulated and the theories help to interpret/explain new observations.  Science grows.

Social Darwinism?  Nothing to do with biology - don't blame Darwin for that.  Why would a person want to take care of the world?  Why would we chose to be kind to our neighbors?  How about simple self-preservation?  Survival.  We humans have come to learn that we do better in communities than in isolation.  We do better if we use our resources carefully.  None of that requires a creator, people are smart enough to figure it out.

clap

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:30 »

As much as I want to weigh in Finny-style here will three and a half pages about the utter ridiculousness of believing the bible is in any way truer than say, Homer, I will refrain from doing so as (I suspect) I am the only card-carrying atheist among the regular posters here.

I will say, however, that the only defensible argument against evolution is that people still believe in god.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:40 »

As much as I want to weigh in Finny-style here will three and a half pages about the utter ridiculousness of believing the bible is in any way truer than say, Homer, I will refrain from doing so as (I suspect) I am the only card-carrying atheist among the regular posters here.

I will say, however, that the only defensible argument against evolution is that people still believe in god.

No, you are not alone.  But I generally steer away from the label since it has come to have such negative connotations.  If it only meant (to people) what it actually means then I'd eagerly embrace it. 

But that is my belief (or lack thereof).  Although I don't actually have a card, where'd you get yours?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
dare2beme

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:46 »

(I suspect) I am the only card-carrying atheist among the regular posters here.

I'm not quite a regular here, I guess. Smiley

Jonzr, for $37 you can get one of those cards too.  If anyone recalls, mine says "Atheism: A Non-Prophet Organization".

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:48 »

I am the only card-carrying atheist among the regular posters here.

That would explain the lack of angelic assistance during your unfortunate incident.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:55 »

(I suspect) I am the only card-carrying atheist among the regular posters here.

I'm not quite a regular here, I guess. Smiley

Jonzr, for $37 you can get one of those cards too.  If anyone recalls, mine says "Atheism: A Non-Prophet Organization".

Oh, I remember seeing that.  Was it in your sig at one time?  Yeah man, you're a regular here.  I mean, you're regularly here, right?  MGS holds no man's irregularities against him. 

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:58 »

Although I don't actually have a card, where'd you get yours?

Craigslist, natch.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:00 »

That would explain the lack of angelic assistance during your unfortunate incident.

"How could god let evil things happen to good drunks?", was all I could think at the time.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:08 »

You are not alone Penso. My first reaction is to freak out about this and start waving around absolutely true things like "Human DNA is 98% EXACTLY the same as a chimp's!!!"...... But its not really worth the trouble. I do have a super big problem with people wanting creationism and ID taught, and therefore afforded the same credibility, along side of evolution. That shit belongs in Sunday school. There aren't atheist's clamoring that Darwinism be taught in Sunday school, so why the reverse? I suspect its because people of Faith, consciously or subconscienciously, believe that they are morally superior, receive their "orders" from a higher power, and are innately happier in their lives than us unfortunate, walking along with our eyes closed, morally bankrupt non-believers.

I think also people of Faith have such a hard time accepting the science of Evolution, because they can't think of themselves in terms of being an animal. Only animals could possibly evolve, not Man, because Man was created by God in His image, and therefore by extension,  Man is not an animal, or has a much higher purpose on Earth than all the other ones. They think we're different than animals, partly because of our ability to reason, so therefore Evolution can't apply.

Penso is ultimately spot on, if people weren't so fervently attached to the idea that there is an invisible man in the sky controlling pretty much everything, with the ability to keep you alive forever after you die, there wouldn't be a debate about it.

Now, even as an atheist, I do find the question of who/what created the universe, atoms, elements.... the actual matter of the universe, to be far more intriguing than if someone/something specifically created us and our Earth and is watching over us. But if people can make their lives, and others, better because of their Faith, more power to ya. But please, please stop trying to impose your beliefs on everyone else. The USA is NOT a theocracy.....at least not yet.
dare2beme

« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:09 »

MGS holds no man's irregularities against him. 

Everytime I try to hold my irregularities in, they just get worse...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: