Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 06:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beebo Brinker  (Read 476 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Feb 13, 2009 at 09:39 »

Did a little research on this lebian slut....

http://www.beebobrinker.com/

Beebo Brinker was the offbeat Greenwich Village heroine of a series of paperback novels written by Ann Bannon in the late 1950s. What at the time was quickly-written, mass-produced pulp designed to titillate middle class sensibilities is now regarded as a camp classic of lesbian sensibilities.
Two lesbian theater artists, Kate Moira Ryan and Linda Chapman, have resurrected Beebo with love and good humor for an Off-Broadway run this fall. Ryan co-wrote the GLAAD Media Award-winning "25 Questions for a Jewish Mother" with Judy Gold and lives with her partner of 13 years with their seven-year-old son in Tribeca.

Chapman is currently the associate artistic director of New York Theatre Workshop and worked with the Wooster Group for many years. Her longtime partner, actress Lola Pashalinski, was a mainstay with Charles Ludlam's Ridiculous Theatrical Company. The production of "The Beebo Brinker Chronicles" will be directed by Leigh Silverman of Broadway's "Well."

A benefit for the production, to be presented by the Hourglass Group, will take place Monday, April 23rd at 8 p.m. at The Merck Loft on 23rd Street. Tickets are $100. For more information, go to www.beebobrinker.com.

CHRISTOPHER MURRAY: Who the heck is Beebo Brinker?
LINDA CHAPMAN: She's the central character in four out of five of Ann Bannon's books called "The Beebo Brinker Chronicles." We've adapted three of the novels for our play, all set in the pre-Stonewall, very closeted West Village of the time. You could be arrested in a lesbian bar in those days if you didn't have on at least three articles of women's clothing.
KATE MOIRA RYAN: Beebo Brinker is a fast talking butch lothario, a girl you want to sleep with, but don't want to date. I think of her as George Clooney with breasts.

CM: Lesbian pulp, who knew?
KR: We did. Lesbian pulp has a huge following. Gay boys have Tom of Finland, we have Beebo Brinker.

CM: The second Beebo Brinker book, "Odd Girl Out," was the second best selling paperback of 1957, how is this possible? Who were all those mid-century lesbian writers?
KR: Most of them were men. Ann Bannon was one of the few women who were writing lesbian pulp. She'd come to the Village for three or four days at a time, soak up the atmosphere and then churn out one torrid, paperback after another. Mid-century lesbians rock - there's a great new book out about the Daughters Of Bilitis by Marcia Gallo if you want to find out more about that period.

CM: How do you make a theatre piece in 2007 about something that is so much set in a particular cultural-historic context?
KR: How do you make a revival of "Cat on a hot Tin Roof" work? Slap on some pink lipstick, put in a kitchen sink and dress Anna Wilson (the actress playing Beebo in our production) in peg pants. Voila, you have a period piece.
CM: The benefit has a lot of heavy hitters behind it, folk like Kate Clinton and Urvashi Vaid and Pulitzer-winner Doug Wright. Is this a make or break night for the show?
LC: This is our second fundraiser. We're already halfway to our goal. And a lot of this event is building audience for our production. We are thrilled to have our friends help us.

CM: How was collaborating between you?
KR: Linda and I have been friends for nearly 20 years, so this is way we would do it - I'd cook a really good meal, we'd open a nice bottle of wine, Linda likes beer. Leigh Silverman would bring desert and we'd pick apart the script for three hours while my son sat on his booster seat wide-eyed and watched. He goes to a fairly traditional school, so I consider his exposure to lesbian pulp a necessary enrichment.
CM: How important is it to have these tales of our lives remembered, celebrated or even lampooned?
KR: I think it's critical. For a lot of women in their 50s and 60s, the Beebo novels were the first book that they read when they were coming out. And I think it's really important that up and coming generation gets acquainted with Ann's work. Linda and I would like to bring the entire lesbian canon to the stage.
LC: We can look at Beebo to figure out where we're really at now. For instance, one of the books has a gay man and a lesbian getting married in order to maintain a stable life and they have a baby by artificial insemination. She was writing this in 1960.

CM: If Beebo were living in New York City in 2007, what would she be up to?
KR: The same thing I was up to in my 20s. No good.

I feel a sneezing attack coming on...

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:19 »

Interesting.  So, the question is, did the finmeister know about all this or just google upon it perusing for brinker pics?

I'm thinking young finny didn't waste time with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, he went straight (haha) for the Beebo.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:28 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72948148@N00/2206838653/

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dbrinker%26ni%3D21%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dslv8-cclean%26fr2%3Dtab-web%26xargs%3D0%26pstart%3D1%26b%3D421&w=375&h=500&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F37%2F87531025_1ffcddc8b7.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F40032814%40N00%2F87531025%2F&size=90.6kB&name=Brinker+Menu&p=brinker&type=JPG&oid=38c3bb389e3f3782&fusr=theMentalOne&tit=Brinker+Menu&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F40032814%40N00%2F&no=438&tt=24,134&sigr=11jpmsbkn&sigi=11cngoisb&sigb=13n5udhia&sigh=11av14j18

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:36 »

So long as I can have the penicillin parfait for desert!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: