Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 20:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else think Anthony Smith can play?  (Read 1321 times)
polishpower
No longer a N00b!

« on: Feb 13, 2009 at 21:54 »

I think he needs a fresh start, but I think he could be an average starting safety in this league.  I feel the whole Brady thing really soured the coaching staff on him.  I always thought he brings much more to the table than Ty Carter.  Just not a good compliment to Troy as a free safety.  He is a playmaker not someone that just protects deep.  He flashed in preseason but just never really put it all together for a year. 

Do you know any good sites that profiles free agents besides football's future?  I'm searching for guards that fit the Steeler mold?
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 23:26 »

i think he's pretty good, hard to get to any pro level and not have any talent but I don't like his mouth obviously...the brady thing was the first and if i recall correctly, he opened it again this year (i think he was goaded into a statement - i can't remember exactly).  regardless, play the game and keep your mouth shut or move on...the worst part is he didn't have any ground to stand on as he hadn't done anything in the league playwise to back it up.  i like we didn't have any Joey Porters this year and look where we ended up.  humble is good.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
napgamer
N00b

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 08:31 »

I Think Anthony can play just not in the system the steelers play.  He is hyperaggressive and can't stay in the system. He's always looking for the big hit.  That's fine if you just have one player like that but with Troy doing his thing you need someone to complement Troy and thats not Anthony.

154th NY forever.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:26 »

Definitely don't think the guy has the mental capacity to play FS in the NFL. Maybe he could mentally handle a free-lance role that relies on instincts but I don't think he has the physically ability to be given that type of role at this level.

He's a backup SS on a good team. Well a backup SS with a very large pie-hole.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:51 »

Definitely don't think the guy has the mental capacity to play FS in the NFL. Maybe he could mentally handle a free-lance role that relies on instincts but I don't think he has the physically ability to be given that type of role at this level.

Agree with that, but is he even thick enough to take the beating at SS?  I liked his hard-hitting, but the difference between him and Clark is that Clark is better at sticking with his assignments.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  I just don't think Smith got it, gets it, or will get it.  Maybe that kid Mundy they drafted last year will be a decent backup, but IMO we should consider any good FS values from R3 onward this year, and next year it becomes a priority (like ILB).

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:58 »

Does Anthony even get tendered? 

Maybe a low tender so the Steelers get some compensation for him if another team gives him a shot.  A low tender probably isn't cost prohibitive if he's riding the pine or on special teams.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 12:12 »

Agree with that, but is he even thick enough to take the beating at SS?  I liked his hard-hitting, but the difference between him and Clark is that Clark is better at sticking with his assignments.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  I just don't think Smith got it, gets it, or will get it.  Maybe that kid Mundy they drafted last year will be a decent backup, but IMO we should consider any good FS values from R3 onward this year, and next year it becomes a priority (like ILB).

I think on a good team (like the Steelers) he could handle SS for a few games, say if Troy were injured. This defense is good enough to cover his ass for being dumb and out of position at SS, where as at FS he gives up 60 yard bombs to the Jets and Pats. He's a big mouth idiot, but he is one heck of a hitter, and seemed to make plays around the ball in preseason, etc. That said there are better options out there, and I think Tyrone Carter is a fine backup for Troy. He's probably not as gifted as Smith athletically but seems to do well in this scheme when called upon.

I remember them being high on Mundy in camp. IIRC, he was injured very early in camp (like before the 1st preseason game) and the team thought enough of him not to outright cut him. Dunno enough about him obviously, but if he can handle backup FS and is a special teamer, I'm sending Smith packing.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 12:47 »

He only really played on ST this year, and wasn't dressed for the SB. That you should tell you what the Steelers think of him. He is a big hiter, but lacks the closing speed to be a true ballhawk and consistently lets the ball get behind him, a trait not well suited to playing with Troy. IMO, Smith lacks the intellect to play effectively within the Steelers scheme, and he doesn't have the physical attributes to make up for it. He couldn't hold his place on ST either. Seeya. He can probably be a backup in another scheme, but even that is speculative.

I'm not a big fan of Carter, but he is much better at being where he's supposed to be than Smith.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 11:03 »

When you're dishing out cheap shots to Hines Ward during no-pad drills in preseason, you're not smart enough to hang around for very long.  And I question whether or not you're smart enough to hang around anywhere.

You can't fix stupid.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 15:25 »

I didn't see anything in his play this last camp that indicated he wouldn't get torched again if he was put in. He gets beat deep, you can't have that in our defense. Athletically, he's the second best safety we have after Troy, but you have to be able to think out there too.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: