Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Therrien out!  (Read 1950 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 12:52 »

Regardless of the offseason signings, there is absolutely no reason why this team should be in 10th place and 5 points out of a playoff spot. We're underachieving, even with the roster that we have. However, Therrien seemed to be content with the status quo. When you're team is showing no signs of life, you gotta do something to wake them the fuck up. Saying, "Sid, you're the captain. Take care of this shit." isn't exactly helping. I've always liked Therrien, but I think he might have lost the team this year. The team just wasn't responding to him like they did last year.

I think the only bad signing was the Shitan one. Fedo, Ziggy, Cooke, and Goddy have all played their parts well. Fedo was playing good hockey before he broke his hand, and I expect him to pick it back up now that he's healthy.  Cooke is an upgrade from Ruutu, and Goddy has been a poor man's Laraque. Shame Ziggy got hurt...

I don't think it's Shero's fault that Malone and Hossa were sell out little bitches. We dangled good money in front of them and a Cup looked like a strong possibility. Malone, being the douche that he is, took more money to play with a shitty team. Hossa took less money, but joined the team that just beat us (he should work for Black Water). We all know the story.

Shero took a gamble trading for Hossa, but you can't argue with results. We were two wins away from a Cup. Shero as done well IMO. The Hossa trade, Petr Sykora signing, the Laraque and Roberts trades, the drafting of Jordan Staal,  the Gil trade, ect. There have been duds, but I think that's true of every team. No one is immune to it. Satan is the only one that looks like a horrible decision to me.

We'll see how it works out. If we turn it around Shero will look like a genius, but if we don't he's going to look like a dullard.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2009 at 09:35 »

We'll see how it works out. If we turn it around Shero will look like a genius, but if we don't he's going to look like a dullard.

Dullard?!  Dangblingit thems fightin' words!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
whitmer_87

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009 at 12:11 »

Dullard?!  Dangblingit thems fightin' words!

Yer dam tootin'! Beat dat guys assss down dere by the whatcha callit?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2009 at 12:15 »

I had no problem trading for Hossa.

I had no problem letting Malone walk.

I do have a problem with Shero waiting around for Hossa to make his decision.  

I do have a problem with Shero picking up Satan and paying him that type cash when there were other options out there at the time.

I do have a problem with Shero not picking up player who has proven in the past that he's willing to go to the front of the net and pay the price for the dirty goals.  

Also, while many want to point the finger at Therrien, the players deserve a good bit of the blame.  Therrien can only say so much to these guys.  It's up to them to hustle, play physical and actually work for the puck.  I find it very hard to believe that Therrien's word was no longer good in the dressing room.  It was good enough eight months ago and the year before that.  It was good enough for the first few months of this season.

While I'm not expecting this team turn it around after one game, the team showed the same signs it did under Therrien against the Islanders.  Throw production out the window....forget points.  They still showed a zero sense of urgency or hustle.  They did not come out looking rejuvenated.  They did not come out hitting.  That has nothing to do with Bylsma or Therrien, it comes down to the players.

A lack of talent, a lack of chemistry and a lack of players who want to show up every night.  Bylsma, Therrien, Scotty Bowman...I don't care who you have behind the bench, it's not going to matter when you have the problems that this team currently has and will have until Shero takes his head out of his ass makes some major decisions.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2009 at 12:17 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2009 at 13:01 »

To be fair to Bylsma, Therrien was fired Sunday night, and his first gig was at 2 o'clock the next afternoon. Not a lot of time to even change the lines up. We'll see what happens. Regardless of whether it's the players or the coach, the team was underachieving. A move had to be made. Maybe the firing will wake them the fuck up. If they think they're responsible for Therrien's firing, maybe that's enough to get them to actually play. I dunno, time will only tell. I'm not about to ask for Shero's bloody head on a fence post just because he fired Therrien though.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 02:19 »

And unfortunately, the PP still sucks (yes, even with Gonchar back).  They are still being outhustled, outclassed and outplayed.  Fleury is still inconsistent to say the least, even though it was nice to see Garon step in against the Capitals and at least put a band-aid on that massive wound.  They still can't break out clean.  They still have troubles simply clearing the zone.  Outside of Brooks Orpik, there is not one player on that roster that throws the body around on a regular basis.

We win one or two games and some are ready to crack the champagne, parade down Center Avenue and claim Bylsma as the second coming of Scotty Bowman.  Even bad/mediocre hockey teams win games from time to time.  Have they looked more inspired at times since the coaching change?  Sure.  That's expected when you bring in a new coach and the players have to prove themselves all over again.  Unfortunately that doesn't last forever, particulary when you lack talent in the first place.

Also, why is Bylsma benching Letang?  This guy has been preaching speed, hustle and physical play ever since he was given the job and then he turns around and benches the best skater on defense and the guy who leads our defense in points.  While Letang is not the biggest hitter on the team, at least he plays physical and attempts to throw the body around.  Meanwhile, Whitney and his -13 has looked absolutely f-ing horrible and he doesn't miss a shift.

Eaton, Gill, Whitney...pick one.  I'll take Letang over any of them.  I'm not exacty sure what type of message Bylsma is attempting to send by benching one of his better defensemen, but it's hurting this team in the process.  How many more times do we have to watch Whitney blow assignments and cough the puck up time and time again?  A SH goal against the Flyers and two goals against the Capitals are on his head and that's just over the last two games.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2009 at 02:50 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:28 »

Defenseman Kris Letang, a healthy scratch the past three games after management was unhappy with his defensive play and practice habits, also will be back in uniform.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09056/951425-61.stm

Crosby, Whitney out of Penguins lineup
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center and captain Sidney Crosby will sit out tonight's game against the New York Islanders because of a sore groin.

Crosby left the morning skate today at Mellon Arena after eight minutes, a day after he practiced for just 15 minutes. He said he began to feel discomfort Sunday during a 5-2 loss at Washington. He deemed himself-day-to-day.

He has missed just one other game this season, Jan. 16 against Anaheim, because of illness.

Also out tonight is defenseman Ryan Whitney, who returned home to Boston because of a family matter. He could return in time for the Penguins' game Friday in Chicago, the start of a five-game road trip. His spot in the lineup will be taken by Kris Letang, a healthy scratch the past three games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09056/951517-100.stm
whitmer_87

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:43 »

Fuck. Hope Whitney takes is sweet time getting back, but let's hope Sid can go soon. Whitney has been god awful to say the least. Letang should be playing, it's ridiculous that he's been a healthy scratch. Especially when Whitney has been playing the way he has.

We actually showed some resiliency against Montreal and Philly last week. Haven't seen that since the beginning of the season. Looked like complete shit on Sunday though.

We gotta win tonight to gain some ground. Carolina, Buffalo, and Florida all lost last night.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:33 »

Wonder if the Whitney thing has anything to do with a possible trade?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 14:54 »

I'm not sure the organization would use a "family matter" in order to camoulflage some type of trade.  Illness (flu) or injury tends to be the norm directly before a player is traded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: