Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 07:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20K posts  (Read 997 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Feb 11, 2009 at 08:14 »

After moving 10K posts over from the old board to start up here back in late Sept '08, we've hit the 20K mark!  In one football season we've added another 10K. 

Now let's see what kind of damage we can do in one off season.  What with the combine, free agency, draft, mini camps, training camps and preseason games ahead I'm thinking we get to the 35K mark well before the next regular season game.

Post away, posters!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 13:32 »

hey bonzr, how's the Hag cd's?  They work?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 08:48 »

I meant to post about that.  Haven't listened to all 4 yet but they're great.  The wife and I drove to Okmulgee a couple of weekends ago and we listened to two of them straight through. 

Like you mentioned - I forgot how many songs this dude wrote.  Much of his stuff from the storyteller perspective, I like those.  There's a very cool tune he did with Johnny Cash that I hadn't heard.  Hell, I wasn't familiar with much of the work.  Great stuff, great voice - I like the old school country, the crap they churn out today can't touch it.

Thanks for those, dude.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 09:17 »

Heard some NPR report a while back that said all the old-school country artists are HUGE overseas, in Africa, South America, everywhere.  Something about how people connect with the storytelling aspect, rather than the music per se.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 09:23 »

Heard some NPR report a while back that said all the old-school country artists are HUGE overseas, in Africa, South America, everywhere.  Something about how people connect with the storytelling aspect, rather than the music per se.

Maybe b/c it's the music of the people - the poor, the common man, etc.  People can identify.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:37 »

Good, I'm glad it was worth the effort.  "I'm leaving now" is the Cash duet.

The storytelling aspect is really what makes Haggard a cut above all other country songwriters, IMO, although of course Cash is ensconced in the pantheon.  Songs like "Huntsville", "Tulare Dust", "Livin' with the shades pulled down" (I could go on for another 10 or 12 songs), the stuff you never heard on the radio. 

One of my favorites is "Kentucky Gambler"-- a Dolly Parton composition, btw.  She's underrated as a songwriter too, because people only associate her with "9 to 5" and her MOR stuff in the 80's.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I rewatched Russ Meyer's Mudhoney last night, and it struck me that it was like what you would get if you put Haggard, Tennessee Williams, and every Playboy published in the 50's in a blender.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:41 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:50 »

There were some sad ones about leaving for California during the depression only to find out it wasn't a plush paradise waiting for everyone.  Certainly worth it though, I still have one of the CDs in my changer in the truck, that's usually when I listen to music - while driving.

Russ Meyer - isn't he the dude  that made those movies featuring ladies with massive racks?  Recommended?  I mean, it was like what you would get if you put Haggard, Tennessee Williams, and every Playboy published in the 50's in a blender sounds like a recommendation!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 12:53 »

...a Dolly Parton composition, btw.  She's underrated as a songwriter too, because people only associate her with "9 to 5" and her MOR stuff in the 80's....

That's really weird, for some reason Mrs. F and I just said that same thing a few weeks ago after the NPR story, and we're not really country fans.  Interesting.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:05 »

There were some sad ones about leaving for California during the depression only to find out it wasn't a plush paradise waiting for everyone.

"Tulare Dust" is one of those, as is "California Cottonfields".  Then there's all the Jimmie Rodgers stuff he covered, like "Goin' to California", and "Blue Yodel #4", containing the immortal lyric "I love the women/I love 'em all the same/But I don't love nobody/Well enough to change her name".

Russ Meyer - isn't he the dude  that made those movies featuring ladies with massive racks?  Recommended?  I mean, it was like what you would get if you put Haggard, Tennessee Williams, and every Playboy published in the 50's in a blender sounds like a recommendation!

Indeed he is, best known for Faster Pussycat Kill Kill and the Roger Ebert-penned Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  Seems to me we had a thread goin' on this lo all those years ago on the espn boards.  For my money his two best are Mudhoney and Lorna.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:30 »

Indeed he is, best known for Faster Pussycat Kill Kill and the Roger Ebert-penned Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  Seems to me we had a thread goin' on this lo all those years ago on the espn boards.  For my money his two best are Mudhoney and Lorna.

You know, I think we did.  And I never did see any of them.

"California Cottonfields" was one that I heard.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: