Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starks Franchised  (Read 1949 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 15:55 »

*looks for a remote*

If he doesn't sing a long term deal or the offer sheet prior to the FA period, maybe they can still snag someone like Barnes and then just rescind the Starks tag.

*crosses fingers*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 16:26 »

I think they will draft a second Tony Hills in the 3rd or 4th round this year and let 2008 Hills and the ultimate 2009 Tony Hills fight to the death to be the long-term solution to the other tackle position.

You mean the one on the practice squad? Just kidding...but seriously, I'm not confident in finding a true starter in the 3rd or 4th.

Its possible that Max was not only the best tackle on the roster last year, but the best OL period.  I can't think of anyone who outperformed him - and given that (as others have stated) he has now started for two SB winning teams its possible that we focus too much on Max's flaws.  He doesn't get beaten terribly often, he doesn't commit penalties very often .... maybe he is better than we commonly appreciate...

I kind of agree, here. I imagine that Max is lazy in practice, and not motivated to get better in training camp. That probably pissed the coaching staff off last year (and why they puzzled us all by installing -- for forever it seems -- Colon as the RT).
It does seem, though, that he is a perfectly mediocre LT when he gets to play. He doesn't get exposed as frequently as all of the others on the OL, and he only sucks about 1/4 of the snaps that he plays (as opposed to my estimate of 1/3 of all passing snaps and 1/2 of all running snaps for the rest).

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2009 at 16:34 »

I think they will draft a second Tony Hills in the 3rd or 4th round this year and let 2008 Hills and the ultimate 2009 Tony Hills fight to the death to be the long-term solution to the other tackle position.

So it would be a peg-leg pirate fight?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
kchopsteel

« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 11:59 »

My best case scenario is put Stapleton where he belongs, at center, and move either Colon or Simmons to LG and then only have to find a serviceable RT. As I don't think Max is worth $8 mil but what exactly are the alternatives. I cannot recall when he commited a penalty throughout the season and I think people forget that he has to block some of the be DE's in the league. IMO, Kemo sucks, Hartwig sucks and the coaching staff is making a big mistake at RT. If a crappy O-line can win a Super Bowl, and come up huge when it matters, in the final 2 minutes, imagine what a relatively decent O-line could provide. 

Starks, Simmons-Colon, Stapleton, Simmons-Colon, Huh??.

That is my solution.

I am the Padiddle champion
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 12:53 »

My best case scenario is put Stapleton where he belongs, at center, and move either Colon or Simmons to LG and then only have to find a serviceable RT. As I don't think Max is worth $8 mil but what exactly are the alternatives. I cannot recall when he commited a penalty throughout the season and I think people forget that he has to block some of the be DE's in the league. IMO, Kemo sucks, Hartwig sucks and the coaching staff is making a big mistake at RT. If a crappy O-line can win a Super Bowl, and come up huge when it matters, in the final 2 minutes, imagine what a relatively decent O-line could provide. 

Starks, Simmons-Colon, Stapleton, Simmons-Colon, Huh??.

That is my solution.

I thought Hartwig played pretty well considering he faced some of the best NT's in the league this season, including Ngata (sp) twice. Of course maybe he just looked better because of the show the human rag doll Mahan put on the year before. Considering how cheap his contract was, I think we got great value out of him.

I've seen some sites rate Kemo as a solid starter, and some rate him as a piece of shit. I think he just is what he is, a pretty good point of attack run blocker who blows goats when trying to pull and in pass protection. Colon may make a good guard, but the coaching staff seems unwilling to even consider moving him there. Saying he sucks at RT is the understatement of the year. Kendall Simmons and his average play and giant contract can fall off the end of the earth for all I care. If they can find a way to cut him and save on the rest of his albatross salary I think they will.

If they just trim the extreme suckage, and replace Kemo and Colon with competant guys for their position, this line can be leaps and bounds above where it is now next year. Well, it's not happening through free agency so if there was ever a year to pass on their BPA strategy and take the best lineman available at 1.32, this is the year. There's flexibility, given that Stapleton, Hartwig, and Starks can play multiple positions, so just get the best OG or OT available and go from there. Go center later on for Hartwig's/Stapleton's future replacement.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 14:32 »

Steelers reach agreement with Starks
Saturday, February 21, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS The Steelers have reached agreement with left tackle Max Starks to accept their franchise tender of $8.451 million for the 2009 season, paving the way for the two sides to begin discussion on a long-term contract.

The Steelers have until mid-July to reach agreement on a contract with their 6-foot-8, 340-pound tackle or he will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

By accepting the franchise tender, Starks can no longer negotiate with other NFL teams about a possible contract. It was unlikely that was going to occur, however, because a team would have to compensate the Steelers with two No. 1 picks if they signed Starks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 14:51 »

I don't get it... why not work out the long term deal b4 signing the franchise tender so the signing bonus can be prorated over the years?  That would drive the 09' cap hit down and allow a better chance of McFadden to be signed.

If Starks talked to other teams and we got 2 first rounders, then GREAT!..

Just don't understand....unless the tender can be voided with a new contract. 

Also, same with Harrison, whats this talk about having till the beginning of the training camp to do a deal???  The Steelers policy is not to negotiate after the first game of the season.  Some other rule I'm not aware of?
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2009 at 19:55 »

I don't get it... why not work out the long term deal b4 signing the franchise tender so the signing bonus can be prorated over the years?  That would drive the 09' cap hit down and allow a better chance of McFadden to be signed.

I believe that is exactly the case.  They can take their time now to work on the deal without competing with the open market.  If they sign a long term deal the franchise deal is voided.   Max can either agree to a deal or play out his year and be a FA in '10.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 22:20 »

I believe that is exactly the case.  They can take their time now to work on the deal without competing with the open market.  If they sign a long term deal the franchise deal is voided.   Max can either agree to a deal or play out his year and be a FA in '10.

I hope the steelers and Starks come to a multi year agreement this time around.  Reason being I would rather not see a repeat situation next year with a question mark at both tackle spots again.  However, franchising Starks gives the FO the opportunity to draft best available either IOL or DL this year. 

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 06:24 »

However, franchising Starks gives the FO the opportunity to draft best available either IOL or DL this year. 

That's most likely the key.  We know that we're not going to get a top-notch LT in the draft because, most likely, they'll all be gone.  Maybe we get a RT or a tackle with potential (Joel Bell, anyone?) in the later rounds.  I'm starting to think they don't want Starks long-term, but he's the BAA for them right now, so they'll pay him until they can find a better long-term solution.  Even if the guy is a world-beater this year, they won't be able to keep him cause he'll get paid somewhere else.

As for Colon, I actually thought he played well in the SB, and I think he gives a great effort.  Problem is that he's been out of position for two years now.  I'd like to at least SEE if he could be a fit at guard, although the FO/coaches seems opposed to making any move in that direction.

And let me just give my now-annual assessment of Simmons:  I feel bad for him, because the diabetes/injuries seem to have derailed a once-promising career.  But the guy is not good.  He just ain't got it.  He is not better than Stapleton (who is average at BEST), and may be worse.  Sorry if I'm being rude, but any discussion of returning Simmons to a starting guard spot should draw a one-day ban from this board. 

And no, I don't give a crap if he's in the "best shape of his career." 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: