Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 10:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who would you draft?
Alex Mack, C, Cal. - 6 (54.5%)
Max Unger, C/G, Ore. - 0 (0%)
Eben Britton, OT, Az. - 2 (18.2%)
William Beatty, OT, UConn - 0 (0%)
Jarron Gilbert, DE, SDSU - 2 (18.2%)
Duke Robinson, OG, Okla. - 1 (9.1%)
Darius Butler, CB, UConn - 0 (0%)
Jairus Byrd, CB, Ore. - 0 (0%)
Derrick Williams, WR, PSU - 0 (0%)
Brian Robiskie, WR, OSU - 0 (0%)
Other (specify). - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play GM: Round 1  (Read 1954 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 15:33 »

I can run a few more rounds, if you guys want to.  Looks like we're drifting towards a consensus, but I'll keep the poll open a while longer.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 16:13 »

I can run a few more rounds, if you guys want to.  Looks like we're drifting towards a consensus, but I'll keep the poll open a while longer.

Is there any way you can add more picks for the Steelers in round 2? Like maybe three or four more. That would go a long way to solving our depth issues.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009 at 20:40 »

I went for Gilbert.  The pool BS notwithstanding he was a productive guy at SDSU, and looks like he could be a great fit in the 3-4, especially with a year to groom and using him situationally early.  That dropoff in 3-4 DEs scares me, given A. Smith and Keisel's age and recent history of injuries.  The NT dropoff is also scary, but I don't see Brace or Moala as being as dominant at NT as Jackson or Gilbert would be at DE.  So:

R1. Gilbert
R2. Eric Wood, OG/C, Louisville; Andy Levitre, OG/RT Ore. St.; Jamon Meredith, OG/RT, SCar.; Fenuki Tupou, OT, Ore.
R3/R3C.  Trevor Canfield, OG, Cinci; Jon Luigs, C, Ark.; Shipley, C, PSU; Antoine Caldwell, C, Bama; Kraig Urbik, OG/RT, Wisc.; Asher Allen, CB, UGA; Macho Harris, CB, VT.
R4. Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman.
R5. Quan Cosby, WR/KR, Tex. or Deon Butler, WR/KR, PSU.
R6, R7, R7 (Mahan).  Terance Knighton, NT, Temple;  a bunch of slot WR/KR; a bunch of developmental DEs; Don Carey, CB/S, Norfolk St.; etc.

That's not specific, but I think it gives some good options.

My initial reaction was to select Gilbert.  As is the case in most years, 34DE talent is sparse.  Sure, there are college DTs who may make the transition...or are more likely the next Orien Harris.  Gilbert looks great on tape and had an above avg. combine. 

I went with Mack.  I do think IOL talent is deep this year, well into the 4th round.  Still, I think Mack has a nice tandem of brains and brawn.  And Gilbert is just too much of a reach for me/my mock, though if the Steelers go that route, I don't think I'll complain. Gilbert pushed his stock to mid-2nd round at worst.  He likely has a Pro Day coming up which will push him further up the board.

DE is the silent "need" behind the OL.  If the Steelers re-sing Kemo (please no), and extend Starks, OL isn't the selection in the 1st rd...if not for the re-signings, for the 2nd or 3rd round depth available.  Aside from Mack, the rest of the IOL prospects don't set themselves apart IMO, other than who can only play IOL v. those who can double to tackle. 

So Mack is the only OL, projected to be there at 1.32, who I would take with that pick.  Otherwise, I look to CB of DE.

I'd like to see a CB in the first three rounds (assuming we have four picks).  We're really looking for a #4 CB next year with a guy who can push for a #2 in 2010/2011. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 19:33 »

Hakeem Nicks WR NC.  If we lose Nate and with Hines age we need another WR.  I think this guy will be very good.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 06:32 »

Hakeem Nicks WR NC.  If we lose Nate and with Hines age we need another WR.  I think this guy will be very good.

He did light up my Mountaineers in the Care Care Bowl this year. Made an absolutely SICK catch too.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 20:25 »

Holy shit.
That catch is unbelieveable.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 20:41 »

Really, I wish I were more up to speed on prospects so that I could participate in this 'lil exercise, but as things stand now, I'd be picking guys based on The Weird Name Theory and how cool their college colors were.

As ignorant as I am though, I still say OL/DL; especially with Simmons gettin' the axe.  Maybe CB if McFads doesn't come back.  Even if Nate leaves, I don't want to spend a R1 on a WR.  His production is easily replaced.

I saw a mock today that had Oher going 28th to the Feagles with the Steelers taking Britton at 1.32.  Don't know much about Britton, but if they go OT in R1 and don't trade up 5 lousy spots to snag Oher instead, I'd snap.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 20:20 »

What with us "soli-fi-dying" our OL by resinging all these guys, I'm starting to think that we will be going DL/CB in round 1 this year.

Not that I agree with that decision, mind you.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
dare2beme

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 22:10 »

Really, I wish I were more up to speed on prospects so that I could participate in this 'lil exercise

Hella, that didn't stop ME from voting...

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
sysadmin7

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 10:50 »

Sean Smith - Utah (CB/S): 6'3, 215 (4.47 - 40 Pro Day):

I believe we will go with the best player available, and Smith should be the guy. He's a interesting prospect and only a Junior. He could play the nickel DB role right now and also fill in for R. Clark if injured at FS. This also fills a need at PR/KR. He's raising eyebrows after the Sugar Bowl and could be a late round (1st) early 2nd steal.

LINUX = FREEDOM
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: