Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 01:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leave it to California to be HIGH above the curve  (Read 1399 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Feb 24, 2009 at 22:33 »

http://www.9news.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=110599&catid=337

Combine West Coast relaxed liberals, and a huge budget deficit, and what do you get? That's right, a law introduced in California to end the marijuana prohibition and tax the drug. Sound familiar? Only if you were alive 76 years ago when President FDR supported the repeal of the alcohol prohibition laws in 1933 as a direct result of the onset of the Great Depression.

Marijuana is California's largest cash crop, with an estimated 14 billion in yearly revenue. Proposing a $50 per ounce tax, California could eliminate their deficits.

Of course, without a Federal law, if Cali was to do this it would set up a showdown with the DEA and the Justice Dept., and anyone who thinks Obama and Holder would sign off on it is probably using too much of the product. Obama has previously said he supports state's medical pot laws, although the DEA were still raiding Cali dispensaries as late as 2 weeks ago.

So, with the economy in the shitter, why wouldn't we legalize and tax? Tobacco and alcohol kills many, many, many  more people in this country than pot, and counties and state's are repealing decades old blue laws in attempt to boost Sunday sales and their tax coffers.

We'll see if it gets passed, and the Terminator signs. Somehow I doubt it, but it's a start.

And by the way, for those of you not aware, The Partnership for a Drug Free America is a lobby for the major pharmaceutical companies. Their message isn't "don't do drugs", it's "don't do drugs that aren't ours".

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:50 »

So, with the economy in the shitter, why wouldn't we legalize and tax? Tobacco and alcohol kills many, many, many  more people in this country than pot, and counties and state's are repealing decades old blue laws in attempt to boost Sunday sales and their tax coffers.

Well, you know what Chris Rock would say about those two:

"It's alright, cause it's all white!" 

I'm not sure what all the arguments AGAINST legalizing the chronic would be, although I'm sure there are many, slippery slope and such.  But, whatever they are, it still doesn't explain away the hypocrisy that we have on these issues.  The drug companies that you mentioned are allowed to advertise and convince us to take drugs we don't need and that may have far worse side effects. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 19:14 »

My dad is a pharmacist and HE supports the legalization of marijuana.
His argument is the same as SFinCO - tobacco, alcohol & legal FDA-approved drugs kill far more people each year. 
It's Kentucky's biggest cash crop too, so why the hell not tax it?
It'll help re-vitalize the farming industry too....

I'm all for it, and I don't even smoke the stuff!

I'm still the one with the boobs.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 21:02 »

It's Kentucky's biggest cash crop too, so why the hell not tax it?

Kentucky actually surpasses California in yearly cannabis production, and is #1 in the nation. Way to go Wildcats!

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 06:31 »

They don't call it the Blue-GRASS State for nothin'!

Honestly, I would like to see it happen, not because I support the consumption of marijuana, but because you could then grow hemp and use it for the other 146,000 uses that it has that are far more productive than just getting high.

Rope, clothing, flipflops, whatever, my understading is that it is a much stronger and long-lasting material than most anything we currently use.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:32 »

You're right on there, Preach. Hemp is a wasted valuable resource. It makes the best paper known to man, has more biomass than any other plant, making it the best option for biofuels, and is easily farmed. It makes way too much sense.

The DEA has only approved 1 permit to grow industrial hemp in the last 30 years. And that was to Hawaii in the '80's. Those "wacko's" up in North Dakota are currently asking the DEA permission tp grow hemp, based on the fact that they are shut out of a billion dollar+ industry worldwide. As the economics becomes undeniable, it stands a better chance.

Hemp and marijuana are exactly the same thing. Hemp is the English word, marijuana the Spanish (not mota). When it was banned in the '30's and '40's, the interests behind the banning knew that Americans wouldn't ban something they had been growing for 200 years. Not to get high per say, but using it as fabric, paper, rope, etc. It was called marijuana to scare people, and to say that there was something new out there messing with their kids. And it worked. It's a travesty that industrial hemp was linked to the flowering female plants that produce the smoking kind of hemp. It's lost our country billions and billions of dollars, and a chance to get off oil and corn based biofuels.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:34 »

AG Holder has just said, publically, that the DEA raids on Cali medical pot clubs will end. Obama is fulfilling a campaign promise to end it. This a MAJOR reversal of federal policy. It's the beginning of the end of marijuana prohibition(well, until non libertarian right wing nuts get the power back). Especially when other states see the kind of tax revenue these places bring in.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/26/holder-vows-to-end-raids_n_170119.html

It's an excellent and informed article. Though a bit long, near they end you can read the exact tax revenue Cali had from these places. Some were paying 1 million a month in sales tax.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:46 »

Taxing pot = gateway to fiscal solvency.

Hell, I might even take it up again on the weekends, if it were legal.

BTW, hemp seeds and oil are a good omega 3 source!   Smiley

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:49 »

Hell, I might even take it up again on the weekends, if it were legal.

Jonzr's ffl drafts have never been the same since he quit.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 13:38 »

(well, until non libertarian right wing nuts get the power back).

Oh, I'm sure that any day now I'll be receiving mailouts about my moral duty to oppose such action by our evil, left-wing, satanist, Nazi, Communist, anti-American president.  It's okay, the paper is pretty good starter for a bonfire.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: