Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 18:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Saturday...Yes or No?!?  (Read 2085 times)
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« on: Feb 24, 2009 at 23:11 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html

For the right deal, I would bring this guy aboard in a heartbeat. Either move him to guard, or more likely move Hartwig to guard.

Perhaps a two year deal, for 7 mil or so?

Starks-Hartwig/Saturday-Saturday/Hartwig-Stapleton-Colon

I am all for the outright cut of Simmons....anything to get him out of here...truth be told, I would LOVE to get rid of Colon as well....he would be more tolerable at guard I think (as has been discussed), but it seems the Steelers refuse to even consider him playing there.

Ideally, I would find a right tackle in the draft to replace Colon and have him battle it out with Stapleton for the other guard spot. Or more likely, Pitt will take a highly regarded guard, and start him right away.

Something like:

Starks-(draft)-Saturday-Harwig-Colon

depth-Stapleton, Hills, Essex, cheap FA pickup or draft pick(s)

I may be of the minority here, but I actually like Max (especially at the LT spot).
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 00:07 »

In short, NO. Not at center. He does not have the strength to deal with large NT's. Hampton always destroys him. Same with Williams, Ngata, etc. Maybe at guard, but def not at center. His run blocking isn't that great (he was at Indy) and right now the Steelers need to be able to pound out a yard on the GL. He would be no help there.

IMO, Hartwig sucked the least on the OL last year. Of course he wasn't perfect, but Colon was a much bigger liability.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 06:22 »

No.  Sorry.  He's 34, and bringing him in is just... going the wrong way.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 06:34 »

A few things...

1) Saturday's age doesn't concern me as much as his injury history the past two seasons.

2) If the Steelers are looking at Saturday at guard, I'm intrigued.  Hartwig was the surest thing on the OL last year and I believe Hartwig has said he prefers playing OC

3) For what $$ and for how long? 

4) Ultimately, this year's draft is deep at IOL.  This is where Saturday's age would be a factor for me...if in signing Saturday, the Steelers decide to pass on younger IOL.  If so, we're in the same spot this time next year; needing to draft IOL.

5) Hopefully the Steelers let Kemoeatu walk.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 07:19 »

Ultimately, this year's draft is deep at IOL.  This is where Saturday's age would be a factor for me...if in signing Saturday, the Steelers decide to pass on younger IOL.  If so, we're in the same spot this time next year; needing to draft IOL.

Perhaps they bring in Saturday for G, Mack for C, and put Hartwig as a backup? 

I actually think this move would be a band-aid, kind of like tagging Starks (although that's a HUGE bandaid).  Buys time to make some long-term moves.

I'm just glad that they are at least looking into doing SOMETHING.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 07:57 »

I agree with Scac except for the comment about this being a deep IOL class.  It's thick at the top, say maybe 3 rounds.  You'll find good value.  But after that, you're left grasping, IMO.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:29 »

Steelers | Saturday wants to sign
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:52:09 -0800

John Harris, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Indianapolis Colts impending free-agent C Jeff Saturday wants to join the Pittsburgh Steelers. "I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one." Saturday said he would even move to the guard position if he were to join the team. "He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said.

Wow, he's pretty open about wanting to play here, at least.  If he can play G, Kemo walks, and we still draft some solid IOL talent, I guess it comes down to the deal.  How long, how much.  I'd still like to develop IOL talent, but maybe this can be seen as just an upgrade over Kemo.  Whatever.

dare2beme

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:39 »

Run blocking/manhandling issues aside, it is my understanding that Saturday is a good OL "quarterback", capable of calling the coverages and audibling when needed.  Considering the OL communication issues in the past, this may be just what the doctor ordered to counter our anemic coaching, aside from new coaches. Tongue

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 08:44 »

I'm not sure that Hartwig did all that well.  I read somewhere in the last week that he gave up more sacks than anyone else on the OL.  Moreover, the Steelers biggest problem last year was that the OL was constantly confused and gave up sacks to defensive lineman who were using simple line stunts.  Jaff Saturday would help significantly with that issue. 

I agree that it would be a short term fix, and it most certainly not help with short yardage situations.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:13 »

http://images.broadwayworld.com/photoops/shieldschicago/rookeShieldsBackontheBoards008-vi.jpg

Come on... you know you want me to play guard!  I'm hairier than a fucking baboon, and I smell like one, too!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: