Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 12:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Saturday...Yes or No?!?  (Read 2083 times)
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:15 »

I'm not sure that Hartwig did all that well.  I read somewhere in the last week that he gave up more sacks than anyone else on the OL.  Moreover, the Steelers biggest problem last year was that the OL was constantly confused and gave up sacks to defensive lineman who were using simple line stunts.  Jaff Saturday would help significantly with that issue. 

I agree that it would be a short term fix, and it most certainly not help with short yardage situations.

In Hartwig's defense he may have had the worst/dumbest guard in the league lining up to his left.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:30 »

I'm not sure that Hartwig did all that well.  I read somewhere in the last week that he gave up more sacks than anyone else on the OL.  Moreover, the Steelers biggest problem last year was that the OL was constantly confused and gave up sacks to defensive lineman who were using simple line stunts.  Jaff Saturday would help significantly with that issue. 

I agree that it would be a short term fix, and it most certainly not help with short yardage situations.

In Hartwig's defense he may have had the worst/dumbest guard in the league lining up to his left.

Yeah, and Stapleton started to get beat regularly toward the end of the season.  That never helps.  I liked the way Hartwig held his own against bigger NTs, but would still like to see us get our C of the future in this draft class.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 09:35 »

And a first-year starter on the other.  Hard to say who actually "gave up" all those sacks on the interior, where you're supposed to be switching off and picking up stunts.  On the outside it's pretty obvious.  At any rate, I would say that Saturday could be an upgrade at any of the three IOL spots.

This really doesn't change much for us in the draft, we still need to go heavy OL.  I understand the need for DL depth and future development, but the starters are still at a pretty high level.  To me, that immediately makes it a less pressing need.  

OL is so critical this year for us.  I actually believe that we can make another serious run next year if we upgrade the line, BA's stupidity not withstanding.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 10:08 »

If Saturday wants to be here in a friendly 2-3 year deal:

Leave Hartwig at center this year and move Saturday to guard.

1) CUT Simmons and resign Kemo, Saturday starts at RG...
OR
2) Let Kemo walk and have Saturday start LG.

Stapleton can be the backup on all 3 positions.  A guard would have to be a round 1 or 2 pick this year then.  After this year, move Saturday to center and the draftee to start LG, if Hartwig walks.

The biggest concern with this is that ALL of the line's contracts are up within the next year or two..  Adding Saturday might solidify somethings for next year, but this line isn't going to be cohesive until we start getting some draftees or long term solutions in here.  Max Starks will probably be the first "long termer" we will have anchoring the line as I think they'll work out a deal.  Even though Simmons is in the middle of a 4/5 year deal, I think he's more likely to be cut than be concidered and anchor.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:05 »

Preach, I pretty much agree with you all around.

I am not advocating ignoring the OL in the draft by any means. I've wanted them to draft top o-line guys for about three years now.

I just think Saturday could offer some flexibility, and by all accounts, he is a smart guy.

If Simmons and Kemo are gone (and I wish Colon, but he will be back), the Steelers will need to replace them with capable bodies. Saturday would be an upgrade over Kemo, Stapleton or Simmons, and at least be on par with Hartwig.

In short, it's nice to see things like this. At least we know the team is LOOKING, whether he signs here or not.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:14 »

The biggest concern with this is that ALL of the line's contracts are up within the next year or two.. 

No offense, but I'm not sure why that's such a big concern.  There is no way teams will be clamoring to sing these guys, so we have plenty of time and plenty of leverage for those we choose to keep.  And I think this gives us more flexibility to let most of them walk, and I think we need to do just that.  Make a strategic singing or two, draft well, and the contracts will not be an issue.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:25 »

No.  Sorry.  He's 34, and bringing him in is just... going the wrong way.

Have to agree with that.  Plus, he has the Manning taint even though it was Manning who was all up in his taint.  Taint by association it is.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:26 »

Simmons is only gone if he gets cut, which would be surprising since he just resinged.

I will be bummed if they use cap space on a 34 year old center, so he can play LG for a season. Just makes no sense whatsoever. IMO, only LG seems up for grabs right now. I'm sure Colon will get tendered, Simmons will be in camp, Hartwig is still the starting center(unless they go R1 on a C), and Starks is apparently the LT. That's leaves Kemo, who should NOT be resinged, IMO. The cheapest solution might be to draft Mack, move Hartwig to LG, and tender Colon. They already proved they can win the SB with a suck OL, so, I believe that money spent on the OL should be to young, promising players not named Kemo. But since the FO kinda already fucked up by paying Starks 15 mil, who knows what they are going to do.

The bottom line on Saturday is, does he improve the team in the long term? No, he would be a band-aid, and a waste of money. I'd rather take my chances with what they got, and resing Nate, or bring in a DE, or try to keep BM, or BL, or sign a FB, etc, etc.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:29 »

I've been saying that they need to make a quality FA OL move this year.  If they can't score a big FA OT, then one of the better, versatile IOL in the league is the next best thing.  

FWIW, he knows a thing aboot pass blockin' and when he was out, Indy's O-line went to shit.  He comes back and they're a solid, cohesive group again.

I'd sing him to 3 year deal that averages out to about what a top RFA tender would cost (2-2.5 mil~ish); cut Simmons and reap about that much in cap savings; give Kemo a R2 tender offer (1.5 mil~ish) and let him play out the year; and, draft Unger.

Interior of the line looks much better, IMO.  And, you can go with a multitude of combinations with having to choose from Saturday, Hartwig, Unger, Kemo.  The first three could pretty much play anywhere in the middle.

I'd probably go with, from left to right:  Unger ~ Saturday ~ Hartwig

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:02 »

FWIW, he knows a thing aboot pass blockin' and when he was out, Indy's O-line went to shit.  He comes back and they're a solid, cohesive group again.

I don't think you can compare the two team's OL philosophy, and frankly I don't care about pass blocking. Yeah, yeah, Ben's getting sacked a lot, but this team's main offensive line problem, to me, is the lost ability to create a new LOS and gain a freakin' yard when they need to. There were WAY too many times the Steeler O kicked FG's, or was just plain stopped in short yardage situations due to a lack of a push on running plays. Jeff would be no help at all to the run game.

Indy's system has PM calling blocking responsibilites, and the ball is usually out quickly. Peyton can't run, so the OL doesn't have to think about him moving around. I can't think of a QB not in federal prison, who's game is more different from Manning's as Ben's is. Ben needs to run around,  improvise, do his thing, and to assume Saturday can step right in, and play well in a totally different offensive mindset, is a BIG assumption. Waste of money, IMO, and would do nothing but delay the much needed OL rebuilding.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:04 by steelerfaninCO » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: