Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 08:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Saturday...Yes or No?!?  (Read 2136 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:34 »

Saturday reportedly turned down a Colt's offer last week. Anyone know what he was offered?
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:46 »

The biggest concern with this is that ALL of the line's contracts are up within the next year or two.. 

No offense, but I'm not sure why that's such a big concern.  There is no way teams will be clamoring to sing these guys, so we have plenty of time and plenty of leverage for those we choose to keep.  And I think this gives us more flexibility to let most of them walk, and I think we need to do just that.  Make a strategic singing or two, draft well, and the contracts will not be an issue.

Part of what makes an O-line great is playing together for a period of time to know how to pick up stunts and what your neighbor's role is.  Smith - Faneca - Hartings - Simmons (Vincent/Ross/Starks thrown in there) played together in a period where the O-line was considered to be the best in the NFL.  Moving people in and out of the line, especially multiple people in and out promotes confusion and incohesion as we've seen last year.  We need several anchors on the line to make it improve.  Signing these 1-2 year deals and having constant rotation will lead us down the same path of trouble that we've been in, no matter who we sing.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:53 by DCSteelers » Logged
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:38 »

If he wants to come to a winner and not break our bank, I'm all for it. He's better than pretty much anyone we've got in my book. Smart, and seems to be a Steeler-type player. Hartings was in the same mold, and I think he turned out fine.
Couldn't agree more with the people calling for Simmons to be cut! Also, to those who want Kemo cut....would a first round draft pick be any better? Maybe, but until they prove it at the NFL level, I'd be inclined to stick with the guy with experience.
My ideal line based on what we got, or mayber will get:
LT- Starks
LG- Kemo/Draft pick
C- Hartwig
RG- Saturday/Draft pick
RT- Essex/Draft pick

Just my opinion.....

Go Steelers
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2009 at 14:14 »

If he wants to come to a winner and not break our bank, I'm all for it. He's better than pretty much anyone we've got in my book. Smart, and seems to be a Steeler-type player. Hartings was in the same mold, and I think he turned out fine.
Couldn't agree more with the people calling for Simmons to be cut! Also, to those who want Kemo cut....would a first round draft pick be any better? Maybe, but until they prove it at the NFL level, I'd be inclined to stick with the guy with experience.
LT- Starks
LG- Kemo/Draft pick
C- Hartwig
RG- Saturday/Draft pick
RT- Essex/Draft pick

Just my opinion.....

I'm with Sage on this one.
And good to see ya back on here, buddy!  Just for that.... eck02 eck02

Anyway, as I was saying...if Saturday wants to come and take a pay cut and play where he fits best for us, bring the big guy on over.  In fact, I'm gonna go sacrifice a couple of chickens now to make that happen.

duckie duckie m16

Ducks, chickens...whatever.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 13:28 »

thanks LC! i always peek in, but just haven't had the time to do much posting! Mmmmm, sacrificed chicken....

Also though, how long has it been since a decent name free agent has wanted to come to the Steelers??

LT- Starks
LG- Kemo/Draft pick
C- Hartwig
RG- Saturday/Draft pick
RT- Essex/Draft pick

Just my opinion.....

I'm with Sage on this one.
And good to see ya back on here, buddy!  Just for that.... eck02 eck02

Anyway, as I was saying...if Saturday wants to come and take a pay cut and play where he fits best for us, bring the big guy on over.  In fact, I'm gonna go sacrifice a couple of chickens now to make that happen.

duckie duckie m16

Ducks, chickens...whatever.

Go Steelers
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 16:13 »

Well, with Simmons released, we need to add a starting Guard to our line in 2009.  Whether it's moving Colon in, via the draft, or FA, it's got to happen.

I think Stapleton is a good middle line back-up.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 16:14 »

Well, with Simmons released, we need to add a starting Guard (OR TWO)to our line in 2009.  Whether it's moving Colon in, via the draft, or FA, it's got to happen.

I think Stapleton is a good middle line back-up.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 19:14 »

So much for that.  Signs a 3 year deal to stay in Indy.  From what I've heard about the money (top 3 OCs), Pittsburgh woulda never got into the ballpark anyway.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: