Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 04:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which TWO Players would you draft in round 3?
Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin - 3 (13%)
Trevor Canfield, OG, Cincinnati - 3 (13%)
Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan - 5 (21.7%)
Sherrod Martin, FS/CB, Troy - 5 (21.7%)
Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama - 1 (4.3%)
Cary Harris, CB, USC - 3 (13%)
Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington St. - 0 (0%)
Scott McKillop, ILB, Pittsburgh - 1 (4.3%)
Gerald McGrath, ILB, S. Mississippi - 0 (0%)
Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona - 2 (8.7%)
Other (specify) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play GM: Round 3  (Read 819 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:02 »

By consensus at the Steelers draft table, the selection in round 1 was Alex Mack, C, California.  In round 2, it was Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon.

The players listed below, plus those selected in Play GM: Round 1, and Play GM: Round 2, are off the board.  *NOTE: This round is being run a little differently, with the assumption that Alan Faneca's departure to the Jets will yield a round 3 compensatory pick.  You will be enabled to select TWO draft choices in this round, and the two highest vote-getters will win.

Pick   Team Selection Psn School Delta
65  Detroit Ron Brace DT43 Boston College -11 Reach
66  St Louis Josh Freeman QB Kansas St +19 Value
67  Kansas City Jonathan Luigs OC Arkansas +8 Value
68  Seattle Eric Wood OC Louisville -11 Reach
69 * Dallas Michael Hamlin SS Clemson -6 Reach
70  Cincinnati Javon Ringer RBF Michigan State +15 Value
71  Oakland Mohamed Massaquoi WRF Georgia -1 Reach
72  Jacksonville Asher Allen CB Georgia +2 Value
73  Green Bay Jarron Gilbert DE34 San Jose St -13 Reach
74  San Francisco Rashad Jennings RBF Liberty +13 Value
75  Buffalo Chase Coffman TE Missouri +35 Value
76 * NY Jets Ramses Barden WRP Cal-Poly -18 Reach
77  Houston Mitch King DE43 Iowa -21 Reach
78  San Diego Captain Munnerlyn CB South Carolina -4 Reach
79  Denver Chip Vaughn SS Wake Forest -13 Reach
80  Washington Fenuki Tupou OT Oregon -3 Reach

81  Tampa Bay Troy Kropog OT Tulane -16 Reach
82 * Detroit Andy Levitre OG Oregon State -2 Reach
83 * Green Bay James Casey TE Rice +19 Value
84  Chicago Louis Murphy WRF Florida +3 Value
85  Philadelphia Antoine Caldwell OC Alabama -6 Reach
86  Minnesota Domonique Johnson CB Jackson State +1 Value
87  Miami Dannell Ellerbe ILB Georgia -8 Reach
88  Baltimore Ricky Jean-Francois DE34 LSU -1 Reach
89  New England Cody Brown OLB34 Connecticut -15 Reach
90  Atlanta Marcus Freeman OLB43 Ohio State +13 Value
91  NY Giants Jared Cook TE South Carolina +20 Value
92  Indianapolis Andre Brown RBF North Carolina St +2 Value
93  Carolina Nate Davis QB Ball State +13 Value
94  Tennessee Jarett Dillard WRF Rice +1 Value
95  Arizona James Davis RBF Clemson -27 Reach

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:25 »

I like Cary Harris' size and the fact that he was a three year starter at USC. He doesn't have electric speed, but it doesn't look like any CB did very well in the 40 at the Combine. Looks like he has good instincts though. And though my knowledge of the draft in the later rounds is very limited, I think Cary Harris is the pick here.

Edit - The Michigan NT is also extremely interesting here. Now I am torn. I may change my vote.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:30 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:53 »

The Steelers management crew has made a statement, going OL with its first two picks.  With two picks in round 3, will they add another?

With Alex Mack as the center of the future, Justin Hartwig could slide inside to guard.  But with so much uncertainty at that position, it might not be a good idea to neglect it in the draft.  Kraig Urbik is a 6'5", 328# guard who might be able to fill in at RT in a pinch.  Picks up blitzes and twists well, which Kemo did not, but has slow feet.  Trevor Canfield is 6'4", 307, but has shorter arms, which might limit him as a RT swing man (think Colon-sized arms).  But Canfield plays with a nasty streak, and that's something the line lacked last year.  Anchors well in pass pro, but may not be strong enough yet to take on big NTs.

Terrance Taylor is the last of the big program guys to be on the board at NT in the early running, and he put the bar up 37 times in Indy.  But his motor and commitment are suspect, and he has turd red flag potential running very high.  I personally have him as DND.

Sherrod Martin had a Smoot-like 12 reps at 225#, and ran an average 4.52 40.  But he is an intriguing small school guy (Leodis McKelvin came out of Troy last year) who could project to either CB or FS, and that could be intriguing to a team like the Steelers, with potential needs at both spots.  AT 6'1", 198, he moves well enough to be a CB, but has hands only slightly better than Ike Taylor.

Rashad Johnson may be a steal at this point.  The 5'11", 203# FS from Bama was the QB on the field for the defense.  Not a big hitter, and only 15 reps at 225#, Johnson is very canny on the field and anticipates well.  Cerebral.  Had a disorderly conduct cite.

At 6'0" 187#, Cary Harris may not be as thick as Martin or Johnson, but he did lift the bar 18 times, and had a 4.54 40.  Might be better suited to zone defensive schemes, and he's more apt to hit the receiver than to go for the pick (think Ryan Clark).  Still, he follows receivers well, and could be a candidate to transition to FS as well.  

6'1" 210# WR Brandon Gibson was stuck in Washington State's abysmal season.  His receiving totals dropped as a senior, after a 67-catch junior season that netted 1180 yards and 9 TDs.  Might be undervalued and overlooked.  Good routes and hands, not great YAC despite 4.53 at Indy.  Had some knee and heel injuries.

WR Mike Thomas is small, one of those receivers you look at and think "no effin way."  At 5'8" (well, 5' 7 7/7") and 195", the diminutive Thomas is likely a slot receiver in the NFL, but he runs crisp routes, has good hands, and showed well at Indy (4.40 40 on a slow track, 40.5" vertical, and 10'6" broad jump).  Thomas led the PAC-10 in catches in 2007 with 83, tallying 1038 yards and 11 TDs, and he added 615 kick return yards.

Despite having Farrior, Foote, and Timmons at ILB, no one believes the two veteran LBs, who have started both the 2005 and 2008 Super Bowl campaigns, will last forever.  Foote's contract is up next year, and Farrior is 34.  ILB is not a need now, but will be.  ILB, McKillop, is a shade under 6'1", but has adequate bulk at 244#, decent speed with a 4.74, and he lifted the bar 27 times, more than Mauluga and Laurinaitis.   He's fast, tough, and smart, and was up for a bunch of awards.  May be underrated, as he's not flashy, a luncpail kind of guy.

ILB McGrath, at a shade under 6'2" and about 231#, only put the bar up 19 times, but ran faster at 4.61.  He's got a lot of the same smartness about his play as McKillop, but looks more like a SS, and lifts like one too.  Very productive, with 386 career tackles, 137 in 2008.  McKillop Lite?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 10:55 »

Edit - The Michigan NT is also extremely interesting here. Now I am torn. I may change my vote.

I think he's a turd, but others may see it differently.  He's strong.  Maybe he gets his shit together with better coaching.  I'm just leery, personally.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:05 »

Much as I'd like a guard here, I feel that the best are off the board, and some developmentals in R4 or R5 may be worth a look.  I think some WRs who play slot/KR will pop up later. 

IMO McKillop is great value here, and can become the more cerebral half of a future McKillop-Timmons ILB squad.

Also took Sherrod Martin, who I think could be a very solid FS, probably one of the better of this class.  The fact that he could also possibly play CB helps.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 20:44 »

McKillop.

Nice.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 10:07 »

You may notice the odd number of votes (should be impossible if one chooses two -- repeat TWO! -- choices).

That would be due to my stupid ass, always ignoring directions until it's TOO LATE!! headbang

That being said, I voted for the turd. I would have added either Martin or Urbik.  Probably Urbik.  If I could read directions.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 07:12 »

I voted for Johnson.  Seems like a Ryan Clark-type player, and I like Clark a lot.  He might not work in other places, but he works great in our defense.  I'm concerned about his longevity, his health (since he keeps throwing his body around like a cheap beach ball), and the future of that position.  You need to build that "quarterback" for our defense for several years before they are ready to start.  I'm just increasingly concerned about the position, as awful memories of Brett Alexander keep flashing back.

I have a hard time thinking LB here, as that seems to be less of a need this year.  That said, I wouldn't be opposed to McKillop in this spot.

WR Mike Thomas is small, one of those receivers you look at and think "no effin way."  At 5'8" (well, 5' 7 7/7") and 195", the diminutive Thomas is likely a slot receiver in the NFL, but he runs crisp routes, has good hands, and showed well at Indy (4.40 40 on a slow track, 40.5" vertical, and 10'6" broad jump).  Thomas led the PAC-10 in catches in 2007 with 83, tallying 1038 yards and 11 TDs, and he added 615 kick return yards.

I would think a WR like this could thrive in Pgh, IF we would use him properly (which I doubt with BA).  But, will he be available in R4?  Could we simply wait?  Or could he be a late 3rd pick?  Like Lambert, I stupidly only made one pick in R3, but I'd like to see a guy like this get picked. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 07:57 »

Of those choices, I'd go Urbick and Harris, though, I don't think either of them will be there. I'd love to get McKillop, but I think he'll last until the 4th or 5th round.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: