Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 29, 2014 at 01:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitney to Anaheim  (Read 2372 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:20 »

TSN is reporting...

PENS TRADE WHITNEY TO DUCKS FOR KUNITZ, TANGRADI
TSN.CA STAFF     2/26/2009 12:10:43 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cleared up a bit of their log jam along the blue line as they have sent Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.

The 26-year old Whitney was a vital piece of the Penguins' Stanley Cup run last year; however foot surgery caused him to miss the first 31 games of the season.

The Boston-native is one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league and should be a big boost to the Ducks power play. He became deemed surplus goods when fellow defenceman and Penguins' primary powerplay quarterback Sergei Gonchar returned a shoulder injury.

Whitney is in the second year of a six-year contract he signed with the Penguins last season. He was chosen fifth overall by the Penguins in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Details to follow.

I gotta say, I like it. It losens up the logjamb at D and I like Kunitz.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:21 »

Trib link...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_613565.html

Just one man's opinion.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:34 »

The book on Eric Tangradi

DOB: Feb 10, 1989
Place of Birth: Philadelphia, PA, USA
HT: 6-3 WT: 214
Shoots: L
Drafted by Anaheim in 2007 (2/42)

07/08 OHL stats: 24 G - 36 A - 56 games

Just one man's opinion.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:42 »

Huh.  Don't know much about Kunitz, but I thought they'd get more for Whitney.  Where does this Tangredi kid stand as a prospect?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:53 »

Huh.  Don't know much about Kunitz, but I thought they'd get more for Whitney.  Where does this Tangredi kid stand as a prospect?

I just read on hockeybuzz.com that he immediately becomes the Pens top prospect.

I like the deal in the fact that it frees up room for Goligoski to return to the team and Tangredi has some size that this organization is desperately lacking. Kunitz is 2 years removed from a 25 goal season is a + player and played on Anaheim's top line. This isn't the trade that puts us into the playoffs but Shero isn't sitting on his hands either.

Just one man's opinion.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:58 »

I just read on hockeybuzz.com that he immediately becomes the Pens top prospect.

I like the deal in the fact that it frees up room for Goligoski to return to the team and Tangredi has some size that this organization is desperately lacking. Kunitz is 2 years removed from a 25 goal season is a + player and played on Anaheim's top line. This isn't the trade that puts us into the playoffs but Shero isn't sitting on his hands either.

And Kunitz is under contract 'til '11, according to the trib.  That's a bonus.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:28 »

I'm more impressed with grabbing Tangradi than I am Kunitz, particularly after seeing Tangradi's junior numbers...

GP G A Pts PIM
2006-07 OHL 65 5 15 20 32
2007-08 OHL 56 24 36 60 41
2008-09 OHL 52 38 49 87 57

He also has some decent size. Second to only Tavares in points in the OHL.

As for Kunitz, he can score, but he's very much like Cheechoo. You have to pair the guy with a top notch player (Crosby). If you don't, he's going to be average. Back when the Ducks won the cup he was on the "Kid Line" with Getzlaf and Perry. Unfortunately since then, he has been bumped up and down the lines too much. He's also not too bad on the PP.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:32 »

Love this move. Whitney's stock was dropping every game. He was just terrible. Kunitz is a solid player with Cup experience. He is definitely an upgrade over any winger we have currently on our roster (except maybe Sykora). I think Kunitz would fit very nicely with Sid or Geno on the first or 2nd line.

Don't know much about the prospect, but from what Captain Chaos has said, he looks pretty promising.

Will this move alone be enough to push us into the playoffs? Eh, maybe. But it certainly doesn't hurt our chances.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 12:33 »

url=http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/eric_tangradi]http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/eric_tangradihttp://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/eric_tangradi[/url]
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 13:21 »

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=411196

Penguins Pick Up Speedy, Gritty Winger<

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: