Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 02, 2014 at 01:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kemo offered by NYJ  (Read 2728 times)
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:15 »

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=09%20free%20agency

$4 million per year.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:22 »

I know I am in the minority here, but I think Kemo can develop into a decent G. Hate to see him go.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:26 »

I know I am in the minority here, but I think Kemo can develop into a decent G. Hate to see him go.

If he was a second year guy, I might agree.  But he's entering his fifth season.  It's time to use the Nkwenti Theory and say "buh bye."

IMO, the Jets are wildly over-paying.  Unless Rex Ryan is moving him to DL.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:41 »

Addition by subtraction IMO. Maybe this is the beginning of a dream scenario where the coaches are forced to try Colon at guard and get him as far away from RT as possible.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:52 »

One thing's for sure.  They've got to be looking to bolster this position in the draft, finally. 

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:53 »

It's his fifth year, but he only started one. Was playing behind Faneca and Simmons under the Cowher "vets first" administration for the first three. I don't know. I think he is a mauler, is he a Pro Bowler, no.  But I still think he has potential. Oh well.

And Colon to G is a good solution as well.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:01 »

I get that, vin.  But he needed to make the most of his year starting, and didn't IMO.  He lived up to the bad rap on him, i.e., low wattage.  There were times he destroyed guys, as someone his size and strength might be expected to do.  Other times, he looked just average, getting pushed around.  It's like he's still struggling with fundamentals of leverage sometimes.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:04 »

Good for Kemo, no way he was gonna get $4M from the Steelers.  Both guards who started 2008 are gone.  I bet Big Ben's nipples are exploding with pleasure.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:14 »

Good for Kemo, no way he was gonna get $4M from the Steelers.  Both guards who started 2008 are gone.  I bet Big Ben's nipples are exploding with pleasure.

I don't know about Ben's, but mine are.
I have to admit, I'm really really happy Kemo's moving down the road.  I thought he was lousy this season.  Maybe I'm mis-remembering how bad he was, but when I think of the O-line, Kemo is the one who most makes me mad.

But good luck buddy.  Hope it works out for ya!

I'm still the one with the boobs.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:18 »

I'm not overly concerned about it. Steelers will move on accordingly.

Anyone else think it is INSANE that Haynesworth got SINGED for 100 million?? The Redskins just don't learn...every year they shell out a tonne of dough on FA's, and every year they miss the playoffs.

Makes me really pleased to be a fan of the black and gold and our competent management structure.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:27 »

I get that, vin.  But he needed to make the most of his year starting, and didn't IMO.  He lived up to the bad rap on him, i.e., low wattage.  There were times he destroyed guys, as someone his size and strength might be expected to do.  Other times, he looked just average, getting pushed around.  It's like he's still struggling with fundamentals of leverage sometimes.

I agree with you on his inconsistency. Oh well, what's done is done.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 10:30 »

Anyone else think it is INSANE that Haynesworth got SINGED for 100 million?? The Redskins just don't learn...every year they shell out a tonne of dough on FA's, and every year they miss the playoffs.

Nope, it's just you.  I believe I speak for the rest of us here at MGS when I say that the Redskins are the paragon of fiscal responsibility.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 11:28 »

I thought Kemo got worse as the year went along.  Maybe the effects of playing in the most games since his last year as a Ute.

My basis for Kemo doesn't rest that he could crack the lineup early.  Faneca was great and Simmons was better than Kemo. 

That Kemo didn't play well this year says much more to me about where he'll go.  Had great size but looked lost often.

My assumption is that Essex could be roughly as good as Kemoeatu was last year.  Add in a solid IOL class that reaches through the beginning/mid 4th round, and it makes sense not to offer Kemo much.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 11:47 »

Its just about official....  KFFL

Jets | Kemoeatu update
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:29:51 -0800

Updating a previous item, Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets will sign OG Chris Kemoeatu (Steelers), barring another team jumping in at the 11th hour. Per league sources, the Pittsburgh Steelers will not pursue the re-signing of Kemoeatu.

That leaves our starting guards as Legursky and Stapleton.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 11:56 »

4 mil a year is too much for Kemo. I guess he will play RG, as Faneca will still be the LG.

Meh, don't mind seeing him go. He got pushed around a lot for a "road grader". Wasn't the best pass blocker either. As it is now, he is he only OL starter from the Super Bowl to go. Everyone else is the same, with Starks franchised, and Colon tendered.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 12:04 »

The guy often looked absolutely lost.  I wouldn't have minded trying him at D, but you can't pay 4 million for an experiment.

Wouldn't have minded if we could have retained him cheap, but no way he warranted the kind of deal the Jets are offering.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:29 »

Not so fast boys:

Steelers going for continuity

February 27, 2009 2:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers made their first move of the day by re-signing offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu. ESPN's John Clayton reports the deal is for five years and $20 million.

Pittsburgh now has two returning starters from last year signed in Kemoeatu and tackle Max Starks, who was given the franchise tag. Tackle Willie Colon also was given a first-round tender on Thursday, so he will likely be the third returning free agent from the offensive line of the defending Super Bowl champions.

After convincing Kemoeatu to return, this likely means the Steelers won't do anything drastic in free agency when it comes to upgrading their offensive line. Expect Pittsburgh to attempt to add better competition with this much-maligned unit through the draft.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:30 »

The guy often looked absolutely lost.  I wouldn't have minded trying him at D, but you can't pay 4 million for an experiment.

Wouldn't have minded if we could have retained him cheap, but no way he warranted the kind of deal the Jets are offering.

The Steelers must have a better opinion of him than most in this forum.

Steelers reach agreement with Kemoeatu
Friday, February 27, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on February 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:32 »

I guess I needed to sacrifice another chicken or two... tickedoff

jcharding

« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:40 »

Yuck.  This reminds of the Simmons signing.  I didn't like it at the time, and now he is a cap casualty with a lot of dead money.  Hopefully there is a minimal signing bonus for Kemo.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:43 »

*sigh*

Please tell me that's a joke.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 13:45 »

Yuck.  This reminds of the Simmons signing.  I didn't like it at the time, and now he is a cap casualty with a lot of dead money.  Hopefully there is a minimal signing bonus for Kemo.

Agreed.

RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:08 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the over/under on sacks next year?

I say plus 44.

What the fuck!!!!!!!!!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:10 »

Considering the fact that we haven't made a single change to the line from last year, I'll bet the over.  Unless we bring in some rookie guard to take Stapleton's place.  Wow, then maybe, I dunno, 42? 43 sacks?

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:18 »

Seriously why. Is this the backup plan in case the first 31 players taken are offensive lineman?
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:20 »

Don't like it...why shell out loot for guys that suck anyways? Would rather have tossed some of that money Mcfadden's way at let fat boy go...instead of hurting the D to give the OL "consistency", why not just keep the D at an elite level and see what you can find for the OL? I mean, guys making half as much money could not do any worse then these guys have...I just don't get it. =S
jcharding

« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:36 »

Singing bonus was $4M.

I understand Starks, even if it is a bit much.  I don't understand this at all.  Keep Simmons (barf) for another year and then cut him, minimizing the cap hit of his dead money. Why cut Simmons and sign Kemo?  It makes no financial or on-field sense.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:51 »

No worries I have it figured out...it is a sign and draft day trade deal... cussing

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:54 »

OK, well, the SB softens the blow some.  At $4M, we're only on the hook for $750K per year, plus salary.  He's a backup, kids.  He can start until someone good comes along, go back to the pine, and be cut in two years with a minimal going-away gifty.

At an average salary of $3.2M per year, figure we cut him in a couple of years, this becomes a 3-year, $13M deal for a stopgap guy.

OK, I'm rationalizing wildly here.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:58 »

Surprising.

Starks - Kemo - Hartings - Stapleton - Colon.

lol....
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 15:20 »

I am sure Ben is at home, sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth muttering to himself.
dare2beme

« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 15:24 »

At $4M, we're only on the hook for $750K per year

WHAR DYA GIT UR DIGREE, THE G.W.B. SHCOOL OF MAFEMATTICS?  4M DEVIDED BY 5 IS >>>>80000K<<<<<  750K, PURTY WILD ENDEED!!!!11!

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 15:26 »

At $4M, we're only on the hook for $750K per year

WHAR DYA GIT UR DIGREE, THE G.W.B. SHCOOL OF MAFEMATTICS?  4M DEVIDED BY 5 IS >>>>80000K<<<<<  750K, PURTY WILD ENDEED!!!!11!

Uh, yeah.

It's been a long week.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 15:33 »

Saw this guesstimate on another board.  Seems pretty sound... of course I did get my degree from THE G.W.B. SHCOOL OF MAFEMATTICS:

2009: $4 million SB, $2 million BS, $2.8 million cap
2010: $2.6 million BS, $3.4 million cap
2011: $3.2 million BS, $4 million cap
2012: $3.8 million BS, $4.6 million cap
2013: $4.4 million BS, $5.2 million cap

Backup money?  Where's the cutting point, 2011?  2012?

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 15:43 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PADMAI!!!!!

Seriously though, I've stopped trying to figure WTF the FO is thinking. We got 2 SB's in the last 4 years, so they must be doing something right.....Right?
jclaywell18
Been pimpin, since been pimpin, since been pimpin
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 16:15 »

I think that I've figured it out. The FO has been watching game film meticilously since Big Ben's arrival and found that when Ben actually can stand in the pocket, go through his progressions and has time to throw... he is terrible. (Which is about 0.3% of all snaps). So they figure hey, lets sign all these cardboard cutouts of linemen who can't block, let Ben run around and improvise and we can win another Super Bowl!  clap

OR,

Worst and most probably case scenario is that Ben has 3 concussions next year, has to retire early and then we have Dixon to come in as a starter. And he's even more mobile than Ben so the line works even better for him!!   Genius!! Pure Genius!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm just gonna walk this off....

Gold jacket, green jacket..who gives a shit
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 17:39 »

I am sure Ben is at home, sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth muttering to himself.

Or staring out the window mumbling to himself, "My name is Bob!"

Don't get it, at all.  Seriously, I just do not get this one.

Maybe the guy has more than we think.  Maybe we weren't seeing what we thought we saw.  Maybe most of his screw-ups can be pointed towards someone else.

But still, I JUST DON'T GET IT.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 19:38 »

We got 2 SB's in the last 4 years, so they must be doing something right.....Right?

Yeah, it's called a franchise QB.  When you've got one, you've always got a shot.

Still, he can only work so much magic.  I mean, even this past year, a coupla those 4th quarter come from behind drives fall short and they're a low seed or maybe they miss the playoffs entirely.  Who knows how things play out if they finish 11-5 or 10-6 and end up a WC team.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 20:37 »

We got 2 SB's in the last 4 years, so they must be doing something right.....Right?

Yeah, it's called a franchise QB.  When you've got one, you've always got a shot.

Still, he can only work so much magic.  I mean, even this past year, a coupla those 4th quarter come from behind drives fall short and they're a low seed or maybe they miss the playoffs entirely.  Who knows how things play out if they finish 11-5 or 10-6 and end up a WC team.

Yep. This team is playing with fire, and Ben's health at this point. They could have gambled this offseason IMO regarding the O-line, and wouldn't be worse off for it. Instead they are bringing back the same old retreads, and paying above market value to do so. Yuck.
The Emperor

« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 20:46 »

Assuming Nate and BM are gone I think you will see a WR CB OL and DL with the first 4 picks in the draft.  I think they go BPA in these areas.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2009 at 12:16 »

I don't mind the reSINGING. I still think he will develop, in spite of his inconsistency. It really isn't that much to pay for a starting G, plus get some line help in the draft to develop. Still, OL has to be the first pick for the Steelers. Still liking the Mack kid.

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: