Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 23:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!  (Read 666 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Mar 03, 2009 at 10:52 »

I understand why the RNC chair apologized for his comments on Limbaugh, but it doesn't make his words any less true.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29478402

I don't really care what your party affiliation is.  You have to be willing to hear the truth about things if you hope to make the world better.  And these people can't handle the truth.

Limbaugh is exactly what the RNC chair said that he is.  He is a blowhard, a loudmouth, an entertainer.  He is to the Republican party what WWE is to the NFL.  I'm not saying he's always wrong, but he says what he says in order to solicit a response and inflame his fan base.  If you listen to most of what he says, including his commentary on the budget and stimulus, it is empty rhetoric.

Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele apologized and acknowledged him as a "national conservative leader."

If he is a national conservative leader, then my opinion of national conservative leadership just got a lot worse.

Let him be what he is, a "shock jock," the Howard Stern of conservative politics.  The problem is that people actually listen and drink his koolaid.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 11:52 »

He does have "talent on loan from God." :eyeroll:

I think I may have just threw up in my mouth a little.

I am not a Rushie fan, never have been, though I am definitely a conservative. Does that make me a blasphemer?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:47 »

I am not a Rushie fan, never have been, though I am definitely a conservative. Does that make me a blasphemer?

No.  Even when I was a Republican, and I felt the government needed to focus primarily on fiscal reduction and responsibility, Rush was a repugnant ass.  Don't like Rush, Coulter, the Fox talking heads.  To my way of thinking, the WWE analogy is appropriate: they're entertainers, if that sort of thing entertains you. 

Limbaugh is about as much a "leader" in the Republican party as Keith Olbermann "leads" Democrats.  The Republicans are a losing demographic, and need to chuck the talking points of the past 8 years, and decide if they want to be the party of Mitt, or the party of Arnold, or the party of Bobby.  And by that, I mean stay the course (Mitt, not going to work no matter how much conservatives like Mitt), or move to the center (Arnold, thus abandoning the social conservative issues), or find an iconoclast to recast the focus (Bobby Jindal, who sounds a bit like a nipping cur right now). 

I think it's people like Jindal, and Newt, who will have to carry the banner for the Repubs.  Ideologues who aren't afraid to run counter to conventional wisdom, whose stock and trade are bold ideas.  I actually disagree with quite a bit of what both of them say, but at least they're not just stuffed suits.  And that's the only way forward for the R's, bold ideas.  Just as Obama serves as a corrective to failed Bush policies, the next wave of conservatives will need to stop sounding like out-of-step and out-of-touch speedbumps to the Obama agenda, and will need to form a cohesive argument as to what their own vision is.  The difficult part of that will be realizing how the Republican platform of the past decade has failed, and has disenfranchised the majority opinion.

It's that last part -- self-critique, rather than criticizing Obama -- where I don't see much hope for the Rs.  The party has fallen hard.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 13:24 »

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hate the fact Pillboy is a diehard Steelers fan. That douchebag even gets to be on the sideline.

He should be Cowgirl fan.  America's Team, but in name only.

KTBFFH
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 13:48 »

Someone filled his medicine cabinet with Junior Mints.

Dude will be PUP when camp opens.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 13:50 »

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hate the fact Pillboy is a diehard Steelers fan. That douchebag even gets to be on the sideline.

You know, I could have gone the rest of my life without being reminded that he's a fan of our team.  I can't even use the names in the same sentence.

No, it makes you intelligent...not that intelligence seems to matter much these days.

I'm pretty conservative on some issues; and, in fact, my personal beliefs on certain things might be directly split between the two parties.  But I'm so tired of people believing in the rhetoric of these guys rather than actually thinking things through and coming up with actual solutions.

For example, Rush and his cronies are recently harping on the fact that "people who borrowed too much and couldn't pay back their loans caused this downfall.  It's the myth that everyone should own a home that caused this."  However, when they were making money on mortgaged-backed securities and property sales and inflated home values, no one seemed to mind.  No one was complaining about subprime or Countrywide or Freddie & Fannie.  Now that THEIR bubble has burst, it's someone else's fault.

And the masses just follow along, buying into the hype.  It's a little worse here in the SE, I'm sure, since people have already made up their minds and Rush is telling them what they already think.  But it's still infuriating.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 15:59 »

Donovan McNabb does not approve this thread.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: