Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 19:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something's brewin'  (Read 1321 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:19 »

SATAN, MORRISON, ROBERTS AMONG THOSE PLACED ON WAIVERS
TSN.CA STAFF     3/3/2009 12:49:52 PM

With just over 24 hours until the NHL's Trade Deadline, teams were very busy attempting to clear space under the salary cap.

A scan of the NHL's waiver wire on Tuesday revealed that several high profile players have been placed on waivers. 

The Pittsburgh Penguins placed two-time All-Star Miroslav Satan on waivers. The 34-year old has been a disappointment in his first year in Pittsburgh after signing a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the Pens this past offseason. The veteran sniper has 17 goals and 19 assists in 64 games this season. The Pens hoped he would be a good fit on the wing with Sidney Crosby, but the two never really clicked as linemates.

Also, the Ducks placed Brendan Morrison on waivers. The 33-year-old has 10 goals and 12 assists in 61 games with the Ducks. 

Morrison's situation differs from Satan's, in the sense that the Ducks need the space under the salary cap for players returning from injury following the deadline.

If the Ducks are able to make trades to clear up the necessary space before Wednesday's deadline, they will be able to keep the veteran pivot. If they are unable to make a deal, they will be forced to assign Morrison to the AHL where he would be subjected to re-entry waivers if the Ducks would like to get him back.

Veteran forward Gary Roberts was also placed on waivers after only 30 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Several teams are reportedly interested in the 42-year-old, including Calgary where Roberts first played and captured the Stanley Cup in 1989.

The Ottawa Senators once again placed goaltender Martin Gerber on waivers to see if there are any takers for the Swiss netminder. Gerber has been playing with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL for the past few weeks.

The Sens also placed defenceman Brenden Bell on waivers.

Other names of interest include the New York Rangers' Aaron Voros and Erik Reitz, Eric Perrin of the Thrashers, the Blackhawks' Craig Adams and Jon Sim of the Islanders.

In addition the Calgary Flames claimed defenceman Lawrence Nycholat off waivers from the Vancouver Canucks.  This will be the well-travelled Nycholat's fourth team in three seasons.

Clearing out some cap room for Kovalchuck? One can only hope.   clap

In any event, goodbye Shitan! Don't let the door hit ya!
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:23 by Captain Chaos » Logged

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:39 »

The deal with the devil has ended. Maybe now the Pens can go on a run.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 13:48 »

Cannot see what I am writing now that I a new skin    what giv3es?hujbsdvfalskjhvblsahd kbvfauilwebfvluasdkjn c;sajdodncuw   
SATAN, MORRISON, ROBERTS AMONG THOSE PLACED ON WAIVERS
TSN.CA STAFF     3/3/2009 12:49:52 PM

With just over 24 hours until the NHL's Trade Deadline, teams were very busy attempting to clear space under the salary cap.

A scan of the NHL's waiver wire on Tuesday revealed that several high profile players have been placed on waivers. 

The Pittsburgh Penguins placed two-time All-Star Miroslav Satan on waivers. The 34-year old has been a disappointment in his first year in Pittsburgh after signing a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the Pens this past offseason. The veteran sniper has 17 goals and 19 assists in 64 games this season. The Pens hoped he would be a good fit on the wing with Sidney Crosby, but the two never really clicked as linemates.

Also, the Ducks placed Brendan Morrison on waivers. The 33-year-old has 10 goals and 12 assists in 61 games with the Ducks. 

Morrison's situation differs from Satan's, in the sense that the Ducks need the space under the salary cap for players returning from injury following the deadline.

If the Ducks are able to make trades to clear up the necessary space before Wednesday's deadline, they will be able to keep the veteran pivot. If they are unable to make a deal, they will be forced to assign Morrison to the AHL where he would be subjected to re-entry waivers if the Ducks would like to get him back.

Veteran forward Gary Roberts was also placed on waivers after only 30 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Several teams are reportedly interested in the 42-year-old, including Calgary where Roberts first played and captured the Stanley Cup in 1989.

The Ottawa Senators once again placed goaltender Martin Gerber on waivers to see if there are any takers for the Swiss netminder. Gerber has been playing with the Binghamton Senators of the AHL for the past few weeks.

The Sens also placed defenceman Brenden Bell on waivers.

Other names of interest include the New York Rangers' Aaron Voros and Erik Reitz, Eric Perrin of the Thrashers, the Blackhawks' Craig Adams and Jon Sim of the Islanders.

In addition the Calgary Flames claimed defenceman Lawrence Nycholat off waivers from the Vancouver Canucks.  This will be the well-travelled Nycholat's fourth team in three seasons.

Clearing out some cap room for Kovalchuck? One can only hope.   clap

In any event, goodbye Shitan! Don't let the door hit ya!

Clearing out some cap room for Kovalchuck?
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009 at 13:55 by Brinker » Logged

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
dare2beme

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 14:09 »

Cannot see what I am writing now that I a new skin    what giv3es?hujbsdvfalskjhvblsahd kbvfauilwebfvluasdkjn c;sajdodncuw

You get a new skin transplant when you went in for your headache problem?  Maybe they forgot to cut slits for your new eyelids, which is why you cannot see.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 14:17 »

Anyone know anything about the NHL waiver system? Mark Madden was talking about Shitan being placed on waivers but he said that Shitan will dress for the game tonight. What's the purpose of putting him on waivers in the first place? Are they just hoping another team scoops him up? I thought once you're placed on waivers, you sat around until a team claims you or you clear waiver and are re-assigned.

What a bummer. I thought we've seen the last of him.  tickedoff

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 15:05 »

Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited.  Bob Errey was just on the radio...

He said "I will not let the cat out of the bag. They are looking to make the team more gritty."

He also said, "I am pretty excited for the guy they are going to bring back".

This can mean two players....Gary Roberts (who was just placed on waivers) or a trade with TB involving Ryan Malone.  I hope to Christ it's not Roberts.  The guy is old and he's done.  It was great two years ago, but let's move on please.  As much as this team has missed the grit, I would still not trade for and then pay Ryan Malone $4.5 million.

I hope to hell this doesn't turn out to be true.  It's bad enough we wasted a whole season with Satan, can we at least use the money saved for a legitimate winger for Crosby instead of going out and grabbing an old man or another overpaid winger?  That would be nice.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009 at 15:12 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 15:15 »

He said "I will not let the cat out of the bag. They are looking to make the team more gritty."

This can mean two players....Gary Roberts (who was just placed on waivers) or a trade with TB involving Ryan Malone.  I hope to Christ it's not Roberts.  The guy is old and he's done.  It was great two years ago, but let's move on please.  As much as this team has missed the grit, I would still not trade for and then pay Ryan Malone $4.5 million.

I hope to hell this doesn't turn out to be true.  It's bad enough we wasted a whole season with Satan, can we at least use the money saved for a legitimate winger for Crosby instead of going out and grabbing an old man or another overpaid winger?  That would be nice.

Maybe Colby Armstrong? Though it wouldn't make sense since they could just sign him next offseason. I honestly hope it's not Roberts or Malone. Roberts is over the hill and Malone and that cap-destroying contract can go to hell.

If you don't get the right deal now, I'd rather save the cap space and look towards the offseason honestly.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 15:58 »

Maybe Colby Armstrong? Though it wouldn't make sense since they could just sign him next offseason. I honestly hope it's not Roberts or Malone. Roberts is over the hill and Malone and that cap-destroying contract can go to hell.

If you don't get the right deal now, I'd rather save the cap space and look towards the offseason honestly.

Marian Hossa?

Jaromir Jagr?

MARIO LEMIEUX?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
dare2beme

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 16:06 »

Marian Hossa?

Jaromir Jagr?

MARIO LEMIEUX?

Heh.  At this point, I'll take Jagr or Lemieux.  Fuck Hossa.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 16:14 »

Same here.  I'm not exactly sure why we would give up anything to get Armstrong.  His first time in Pittsburgh he couldn't get the job done with Crosby on the first line and he couldn't get it done on the second line.  He's a nice guy and is good friends with Crosby, unfortunately we do not pay players to be friends with Sid. 

If we can trade for a legitimate scoring winger who is young/younger and who we can sign long-term, I'm all for a move right now, but I do not see the point in going after a Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone or Gary Roberts.  Save the money and put it towards a signing that will actually impact this offense. 

It seems like ever since we placed Satan on waivers the rumors are growing and some are also becoming more idiotic.  Recchi again, Roberts, Gaborik for Staal and a high profile prospect (Derrr), Kovalchuk even though it's been made clear time and time again that Waddell has no intentions on trading him,  Frolov even though Lombardi came out yesterday and stated he has no intentions on trading him, the list goes on....

All I know is, if Shero trades for Mark Recchi he should be fired.  Simple as that. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: