Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 19:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Trades/Signings  (Read 2593 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:01 »

And TSN just reported that Bouwmeester is not going anywhere.  So he's off the block.  That's it.

Oh and Morris is a ranger.  Rangers gave up Kalinen, Prucha and Dawes.

Moore to Buffalo for a second round pick.

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:11 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:12 »

Former Penguin Erik Christensen traded to Anaheim for O'Dell
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:19 »

Where does Guerin fit in? He's listed as a Center, but is Bylsma really going to throw him on the first line with Sid?

Kunitz-Sid-Guerin
Feddy-Geno-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Tk Money
Thomas-Mad Max-Shitan

Huh??

They are making room as we speak.  Thomas is not on the roster.  He cleared waivers and was sent down to WBS.  They also sent down Tim Wallace.  If I were the Penguins, I would also send Satan down to WBS so we can open up some salary cap space, particularly after the signings today.  Or just simply release Satan and be done with him already. 

But it's hard to tell what the lines are going to look like because they do have to make a decision on Satan.

Also, Guerin can, has and probably will play RW.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:32 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:31 »

So basically when all is said and done, our trades/moves come down to this...

Kunitz, Tangradi, Guerin, Adams, Wozniewski for Whitney and a pick.  It's definately not horrible when put in that perspective, but it's still not enough to make a legitimate run at the cup this year.  A one and done run is a very real possibility.  We still don't have the legitimate winger.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 14:45 »

I like the trade for Guerin. The guy can score and get in front of the net on the PP and goes to the boards. He should at least make this team more interesting down the stretch. If you're going to go the rental route, I definitely don't mind giving up a 3-5 round pick.

Honestly, if Sid gets healthy with the addition of Kunitz and Guerin, I actually like our chances as a first round spoiler. The division leaders aren't going to want any part of this team provided Fluery gets hot.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 15:04 »

I like the trade for Guerin. The guy can score and get in front of the net on the PP and goes to the boards. He should at least make this team more interesting down the stretch. If you're going to go the rental route, I definitely don't mind giving up a 3-5 round pick.

Honestly, if Sid gets healthy with the addition of Kunitz and Guerin, I actually like our chances as a first round spoiler. The division leaders aren't going to want any part of this team provided Fluery gets hot.

Couldn't agree more. Considering what we gave up, Guerin is a good get. Let Ovechkin pull his bush league bullshit on Sid while he's out there with Guerin and Kunitz. They'll put an end to that crap real quick. Kunitz has the speed to keep up with Sid and Guerin can work the boards and the crease. I gotta say, I like this team so much better now than I did a week ago.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009 at 17:50 by Captain Chaos » Logged

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2009 at 17:36 »

Also, Satan has been sent down to the minors.  So Satan, Wallace and Thomas have been sent down. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 00:07 »

It's definately not the type of trade I wanted, but I'm just happy that's all we had to give up for a 37 year old rental player.  Even if we have to give up our third, we still have a third coming our way from TB.  While I don't see this move making us a legitimate cup contender, it will at least make the team more interesting to watch.

Oh well, it's a done deal.  It can't be any worse than having to watch Satan for the last five months. Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2009 at 00:24 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 00:16 »

And this is what it basically boils down to when it comes to Satan's situation...

Q: What will become of Miroslav Satan? If I followed the logic correctly, he was placed on waivers to create room under the salary cap. Since Guerin's salary is higher than Satan's, does that mean he is lost for the rest of the season provided they do not clear any more room? What will be his fate? Although he did not live up to expectations, he still seems too good a player to be lost for the rest of the year.

Mike, Colorado Springs, Colo.

MOLINARI: Satan was assigned to the Penguins' American Hockey League team in Wilkes-Barre yesterday after the deal to acquire Guerin and his $4.5 million contract from the New York Islanders was finalized.

Satan's salary is $3.5 million, and adding Guerin to the payroll didn't leave room for Satan, who had been put on waivers Tuesday and cleared yesterday.

As things stand now, it's pretty much out of the question that Satan will return during the regular season unless the Penguins lose someone to a long-term injury. The salary cap remains in effect through the regular season, and the Penguins apparently don't even have the space to accommodate the 50 percent of Satan's salary for which they would be responsible if another club claimed him on re-entry waivers.

It remains to be seen whether Satan actually will pull on a Baby Penguins sweater, let alone when that might happen. General manager Ray Shero likely will give Satan a few days to ponder his situation and decide if he wants to play in the minors leagues for the first time since the 1994-95 season. Eventually, he will have to either go to Wilkes-Barre or be suspended, but Shero's track record in such matters makes it clear he won't hound Satan for an instant decision.

If Satan goes to Wilkes-Barre, it's conceivable that he could be back in the NHL for the playoffs, because the salary cap is not in effect then, but he presumably would be nothing more than a spare part unless the Penguins have injuries.

All in all, Satan is facing an anticlimactic conclusion to a season that has to be a huge disappointment for all concerned.
dare2beme

« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2009 at 08:49 »

So Satan has been sent down to Purgatory.  About time.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: