Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 09:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering what you think about Cutler  (Read 2321 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Mar 11, 2009 at 11:40 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968896

I personally think both sides have behaved pretty poor in all this, but I kind of lean towards the perspective that Cutler should shut up and play football. 

Your thoughts?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 13:42 »

Both sides have made their mistakes but Cutler comes off worse, looking like a whiny millionaire baby.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 13:44 »

Cutler needs to get over himself. So what if they want to trade him or not. Play the game. If they trade him, make them pay. If they don't, make them grateful they didn't.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 15:17 »

He did a great job in leading me to the MGS FF champeenship.

Unfortunately for Cuntler, that's about the only champeenship I envision him getting.

Love the hairdo, Jay!  Who's your stylist?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 15:25 »

Cutler, in fancy shirt (R), with some dude.

Cutler, age 13.

Jay Cutler's dad, Dick Cutler.

Cutler... the "awkward" years.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:52 »

Sorry, but the phrase "whiny bitch" comes to mind when I think about Cutler.  So the team considered trading you?  Big friggin deal.  Everyone's considered at some point except for possibly the elite of the elite.  Is Cutler in that category?  Let's see:

2006 - replaces Plummer midseason.  Starts OK, but loses to San Fran to end the season - misses playoffs.

2007:  7-9 record.

2008:  Gaggs up 3 game lead by losing last 3 games, 8-8 record, no playoffs, gets coach fired.

So three years, two chokes, zero playoff games.

For that you think you deserve a lifetime contract?

Grow up, grow a pair, get to the playoffs - once.  Then maybe you can talk.  A little.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2009 at 07:19 »

2006 - replaces Plummer midseason.  Starts OK, but loses to San Fran to end the season - misses playoffs.

Glad you brought that up.

Cutler is suddenly having "trust" issues with his coach.  Has he forgotten how he got the starting job in the first place?  I believe the Broncos were something like 7-3 and sitting at #2 when he took over, then they missed the playoffs.  So who was betrayed in that little scenario?

As for this whole "trust" thing, that's just garbage.  Do what the coach tells you to do.  Run the play.  Throw the ball to the right place.  That's your job.  You're not hanging on the side of a cliff with this guy, you're not in a foxhole with him, he's not your doctor.  You don't even have to like him.  Just because he thought about trading you, does that suddenly mean he doesn't know how to call plays?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 12:33 »

The player almost always comes off as the whiny bitch.

Ask yourselves this though, if Tomlin came in last year and did something similar with Ben, do you think #7  would react differently?  Would you?

I'd be pretty pissed as a fan that this noob HC came in, upset the apple cart and managed to cheese off the franchise QB.  Contrary to popular belief, they're not exactly a dime a dozen.

Plus, any opposing player that's willing to get in Phil River's face is A-OK in my book.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:07 »

The player almost always comes off as the whiny bitch.

Ask yourselves this though, if Tomlin came in last year and did something similar with Ben, do you think #7  would react differently?  Would you?

The difference is, look at Ben's resume in his first three seasons compared to Cutler's.  No comparison.  Ben's worst of the three, even with the motorcycle thing, is as good as Cutler's best.  Seasons one and two were light years ahead of Cutler's accomplishments.

I'd be pretty pissed as a fan that this noob HC came in, upset the apple cart and managed to cheese off the franchise QB.  Contrary to popular belief, they're not exactly a dime a dozen.

Again, what has Cutler done to be called "the franchise QB?"  No playoff victories, no playoff appearances, two seasons where sure playoff berths slip away with bad losses.  He's got a big arm, great.  Where's that big time win?  How much more has he done than Kyle Boller, for example?  Especially considering his offensive weapons/gameplan are much better than Boller had to work with.

Maybe the new coach comes in with a fresh eye, sees things those in the organization don't.  Bottom line is, Cutler hasn't done enough in this league to get THAT bent out of shape over trade rumors.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 21:58 »

The difference is, look at Ben's resume in his first three seasons compared to Cutler's.  No comparison.  Ben's worst of the three, even with the motorcycle thing, is as good as Cutler's best.  Seasons one and two were light years ahead of Cutler's accomplishments.

IMO, I don't think you look only at a QBs resume to determine whether he's a franchise guy or not.  Guys like Brees, Rivers, McNabb, Rodgers, Romo...they're franchise QBs.  Some better than others, but they're the face of the team; the guy that the organization is building around.  Along with that I think comes a level of trust that was mentioned earlier by others.  When a new coach comes in and starts throwing your name around in trade talks, I can see how a QB would get annoyed with that.

However, I will also say that McDaniel's mistake wasn't in doing that, it was how he did it.  If you're gonna deal your franchise QB, you gotta do it in one quick band-aid~like move with the utmost secrecy.  Right off.  Done.  Finished.  Shit or get off the pot.  You don't sorta put his name out there and kinda listen to offers knowing that it'll all get back to the QB.  That's just a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Again, what has Cutler done to be called "the franchise QB?"  No playoff victories, no playoff appearances, two seasons where sure playoff berths slip away with bad losses.  He's got a big arm, great.  Where's that big time win?  How much more has he done than Kyle Boller, for example?  Especially considering his offensive weapons/gameplan are much better than Boller had to work with.Quote from: msdmnr2002 on Mar 16, 2009 at 19:07
Maybe the new coach comes in with a fresh eye, sees things those in the organization don't.  Bottom line is, Cutler hasn't done enough in this league to get THAT bent out of shape over trade rumors.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: