Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 04:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Hockey needs to be more popular amongst the casual fan?  (Read 2726 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:32 »

I don't know what the solution to their marketing problems are, as ESPN does not seem willing to fork out a lot of money for the NHL television rights.  But I think a possible solution would be to try and go back to Fox.  But it is something that should be addressed if they do want to get out of the NBA, and MLB's shadows...  Neither of which should even be able to touch the NHL is my opinion... 

At this point, I'll take FOX or ESPN even though I think ESPN is the smarter way to go if you want maximum exposure. 

I think the NHL took a gamble with Versus, much like how the NBA took a gamble with TNT (before TNT exploded).  Unfortunately with the NHL, Versus is not paying off like TNT is for the NBA.  The NHL needs that ESPN exposure if they want to hang with the NBA and MLB.  It's either find a new network or continue to lose that exposure/revenue.

While I'm thankful Versus carries games every Monday and Tuesday (even though the cast sucks) and I am able to pay for the NHL channel, the league needs to start grabbing fans who are not considered big hockey fans.  Putting the game on a channel that is hardly ever watched or even broadcasted in many area's or on a channel that you have to pay for is not the way to go if you want those type of fans or new fans in general.

Garry needs to sit down with the big wigs at ESPN and get something done.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:41 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 17:08 »

Ok I think I may have overstated my opinion.  I want hockey to thrive...I want to be able to see it n TV on a regulat basis...hell I paid $150.00 per ticket to go to the Pens vs. Canes game on April 4th...cannot wait to go to the game.  I just think that there was a time when the NHL had the attention of many more casual fans.  We need to somehow get them back...the outdoor game was simply brilliant, but we need to see maybe 5-8 of those per year.  Maybe try Monday Night Hockey!!! A six week experiment in which every game is played outdoors.  Have it in Primetime..starting at 8 PM EST.   Just an idea...but let me reiterate, I want hockey to be what it once was...for everyone...

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 03:36 »

Ok I think I may have overstated my opinion.  I want hockey to thrive...I want to be able to see it n TV on a regulat basis...hell I paid $150.00 per ticket to go to the Pens vs. Canes game on April 4th...cannot wait to go to the game.  I just think that there was a time when the NHL had the attention of many more casual fans.  We need to somehow get them back...the outdoor game was simply brilliant, but we need to see maybe 5-8 of those per year.  Maybe try Monday Night Hockey!!! A six week experiment in which every game is played outdoors.  Have it in Primetime..starting at 8 PM EST.   Just an idea...but let me reiterate, I want hockey to be what it once was...for everyone...

Brinker

Right, but you're kind of missing the point here.  Hockey never went away for those of us who love it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 15:02 »

Wasn't the Pens/Flyers game a nat'l NBC game today?

Here in the STL area, we got Cards pre-season baseball on NBC.

Fuck baseball. What a snooze fest.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 16:51 »

Right, but you're kind of missing the point here.  Hockey never went away for those of us who love it.

I just think that there was a time when the NHL had the attention of many more casual fans.  We need to somehow get them back

Never went away...well that depends on who you ask.  Not trying to play devils advocate here ...just being realistic.

whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 03:09 »

Never went away...well that depends on who you ask.  Not trying to play devils advocate here ...just being realistic.
Well I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that the NHL isn't as popular as it could or should be. I would just like to know what your initial post has to to do with that sentiment.

The NHL has it's problems, but as Penso said, those of us who love the sport are still watching. The game itself is still great, we'd just like it to be more accessible to the average fan. If you increase the popularity of the sport we all get to watch more games every year. No one wants their sport to be treated as a second rate sport. Especially when it really is an amazing sport to watch.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 07:41 »

\
Well I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that the NHL isn't as popular as it could or should be. I would just like to know what your initial post has to to do with that sentiment.

The NHL has it's problems, but as Penso said, those of us who love the sport are still watching. The game itself is still great, we'd just like it to be more accessible to the average fan. If you increase the popularity of the sport we all get to watch more games every year. No one wants their sport to be treated as a second rate sport. Especially when it really is an amazing sport to watch.

I agree completely...I do not want it to be looked at as second rate anymore, but the facts are the facts...it is not as popular as it once was or as popluar as I want it to be.  Maybe I should change the name of this post to "What Hockey needs to be more popular amongst the casual fan?"

The hockey die hards are getting a rope, looking for a tree and coming for me. Again I try to go to every game the Pens play in my region...i.e. Carolina and Atlanta...

Brinker
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:50 by Brinker » Logged

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:05 »

The hockey die hards are getting a rope, looking for a tree and coming for me.

I'm not at all and I'm in agreement with you to a degree.  Hockey does need to do something to spread the sport.  I'm just trying to figure out what 66/68 did back in the mid-90's compared to what 87/71 are doing this year have to do with the league "dying".  You make it sound like it's less of a game simply because they have fewer points.  If anything, those two have accomplished the complete opposite.  They are the main reason why people are packing Mellon arena every other night and are glued to the television.  One could argue that Crosby is the main reason why this city still has a hockey team.

Overall though, I think the game has changed for the better compared to the mid-90's.  I'm glad the game is not the same as it was back in the early 90's and so should all Penguin fans.  From the rule changes to the actual structure of the game (i.e. salary cap).  I loved watching 66/68 just as much as the next hockey fan and what they were capable of doing on the ice was special, but the two we have right now are no push-overs.  I can only speak for myself, but I really don't care what 66/68 accomplished compared to what 87/71 are accomplishing.  I'm just enjoying the ride and realizing how fortunate we are to have both of those two on the same team while others are playing the always pointless comparison game. 
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:15 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:25 »

The hockey die hards are getting a rope, looking for a tree and coming for me.

Dude, carefully read my posts. I just want to know what your first initial post has to do with the sentiment that the league is dying. That is all. Like I said, maybe you can formulate a logical argument suggesting that the league is indeed dying, but you didn't do that. Everyone on here has missed your point completely. No one is attacking you, we would just like to know how this:

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:56 »

\

I agree completely...I do not want it to be looked at as second rate anymore, but the facts are the facts...it is not as popular as it once was or as popular as I want it to be.  Maybe I should change the name of this post to "What Hockey needs to be more popular amongst the casual fan?"

The hockey die hards are getting a rope, looking for a tree and coming for me. Again I try to go to every game the Pens play in my region...i.e. Carolina and Atlanta...

Brinker
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:51 by Brinker » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: