Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 21:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For a team that needs points...  (Read 686 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:43 »

This is not good news.

Malkin has disciplinary hearing with the NHL
Saturday, March 21, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center and NHL leading scorer Evgeni Malkin had a disciplinary hearing with the NHL by phone after the team's practice today at Southpointe.

The league is investigating Malkin's hit on Los Angeles winger Wayne Simmonds in the final minute of the Penguins' 4-1 win last night at Mellon Arena.

Any suspension handed down to Malkin would be expected before the Penguins' important Eastern Conference showdown with Philadelphia at home tomorrow afternoon. Malkin has not missed a game this season and tops the NHL with 104 points.

Malkin, carrying the puck over the Kings' blue line, threw a body check into the approaching Simmonds, whose head appeared to take the brunt of the hit. It prompted players from both teams to exchange words after the final buzzer.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09080/957418-100.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:45 »

For those who did not see it, here it is.  I have seen ten times worse go on around the league and it has been ignored. 

Like when Ovechkin decides to take a run at player and intentionally aims for the head, but whatever...

Evgeni Malkin cheapshot. (NHL needs to suspend him.)
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:49 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 14:59 »

First, keep in mind that this game was physical to beat hell for 60 straight minutes.  You wouldn't think it between two teams who hardly ever see each other, but it was a nasty game.  Particularly after we went up 3-0 and the Kings were playing out of frustration. 

Second, Simmonds (the guy Geno hit) was playing like a goon for the majority of the game.  He was trying to start shit earlier in the game with Cooke and both got a 2 and a 10 after Kennedy scored the Penguins third goal.  Simmonds decided he wanted to spear Cooke in the abdomen and Cooke wasn't having it.

So even with all of that in mind and looking at the hit, it looks to me that Malkin was bracing himself for the hit.  A hit that was being thrown around all night last night.  If Simmonds had his head up and was aware of his surroundings (Keith Rivers where are you?), this hit wouldn't look nearly as bad as it did in the video.  A suspension or fine of any sort would be complete bullshit in my opinion and I would be really surprised if Malkin is suspended.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:05 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:24 »

I saw it when it happened and didn't even think anything of it. Like you said, it looks like Malkin is bracing himself for a hit or simply trying to get out of the way. Hell, Simmons had a few dirty shots throughout the game, I'm sure in frustration from being down 4-0. If he gets suspended for this and Ovechkin doesn't get suspended for his 10 cheapshots a game and douchetastic goal celebrations, there is definitely a double standard.

Also, this just in, Chris Kunitz just layed out another King.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 15:58 »

This is the reason why hockey is dying.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 16:24 »

I saw it when it happened and didn't even think anything of it. Like you said, it looks like Malkin is bracing himself for a hit or simply trying to get out of the way. Hell, Simmons had a few dirty shots throughout the game, I'm sure in frustration from being down 4-0. If he gets suspended for this and Ovechkin doesn't get suspended for his 10 cheapshots a game and douchetastic goal celebrations, there is definitely a double standard.

Also, this just in, Chris Kunitz just layed out another King.

Also, he had his elbow tucked when he hit the guy.  Once again, keep your head up and this is a non-issue.  Is Goodell calling the shots in the NHL now?
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 20:50 »

For what it's worth, they just discussed this on HNIC and according to them "a source close to Malkin" said that he was fined but not suspended.

As I said, take everything from Hockey Night in Canada with a grain of salt but hopefully they're right about the non-suspension.

When asked whether Malkin should be suspended Mike Millbury responded with "For what?" lol "Malkin kept his elbow down, it wasn't malicious..Simmonds was being sloppy"...I'm not a fan of Millbury's but in this case in this case I agree with him.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 00:36 »

Geno and Bylsma on the hit...

Although his English is improving, the Russian-born Malkin -- who had a goal and an assist in the game to boost his season points total to 104 -- had some difficulty conveying his thoughts about the hit.

He indicated he believes Simmonds put himself in a "dangerous" situation, apparently because his body was extended and his head was down.

Penguins interim coach Dan Bylsma pointed out that the hit came in a game where there were several minor skirmishes, a couple involving Malkin. Simmonds and Penguins winger Matt Cooke each drew a minor penalty and a 10-minute misconduct for a confrontation in the second period.

"[Malkin] plays a gritty game and teams go after him," Bylsma said. "He responds by playing gritty in return. ... There's a situation where it's a puck battle. He's going after the puck. If you watch, he's trying to play the puck as well as trying to take the body, and that's something [Malkin] does every game, throughout every game, and he did it right to the whistle last game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09081/957455-61.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 08:55 »

And this morning on the WTAE news, Tim Benz reported that the Penguins stated Malkin is not suspended and will play this afternoon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: