Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 23:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mock draft at BSG site  (Read 1992 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:21 »

Sign up here.  Exhaustive and exhausting, but an interesting exercise if you have the patience and time to participate.  Some very knowledgeable posters there, so FWIW.

I'm on the fence as yet.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
dare2beme

« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:22 »

If Finny says there are knowledgeable people, then they must be Mensa members in graduate school at MIT. book1

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:52 »

If Finny says there are knowledgeable people, then they must be Mensa members in graduate school at MIT. book1

Yeah, Finny's a nerd. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 13:22 »

Gettin' our geek on at BSG.  Fewer participants this year (traffic seems down there).  Each GM is doing 3 or 4 teams.  I chose the Axis of Evil: Oakland, Denver, New England, and Washington.  Just thought it would be fun to be the enemy for a day.  Anyhow, I'll update it as it unfolds.

Round 1

1.01 Detroit: QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
1.02 St. Louis: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
1.03 Kansas City: OT Jason Smith, Baylor
1.04 Seattle: LT Eugene Monroe, UVA
1.05 Cleveland: OLB Brian Orakpo, UT
1.06 Cincinnati: NT BJ Raji, BC
1.07 Oakland: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
1.08 Jacksonville: OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
1.09 Green Bay: OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
1.10 San Francisco: QB Mark Sanchez, USC
1.11 Buffalo: DE Everette Brown, FSU
1.12 Denver: DL Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
1.13 Washington: OT Andre Smith, Bama
1.14 New Orleans: CB Malcolm Jenkins, The OSU
1.15 Houston: OLB Brian Cushing, The USC
1.16 San Diego: RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
1.17 New York Jets: WR/RET Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
1.18 Denver (from Chicago): ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
1.19 Tampa Bay: DL Tyson Jackson, LSU
1.20 Detroit (from Dallas): DL Robert Ayers, Tennessee
1.21 Philadelphia: RB Donald Brown, Connecticut
1.22 Minnesota: DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi
1.23 New England: OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State
1.24 Atlanta: CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
1,25 Miami: OLB Clay Matthews, USC
1.26 Baltimore: OT Eben Britton, Arizona
1.27 Indianapolis: DT Evander Hood, Missouri 
1.28 Philadelphia (from Carolina): OC Alex Mack, Cal
1.29 New York Giants: WR Hakeem Nicks, UNC
1.30 Tennessee: WR/RET/ATH Percy Harvin, Florida 
1.31 Arizona: RB Chris Wells, OSU
1.32 Pittsburgh: IOL Max Unger, Oregon
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2009 at 18:32 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 13:26 »

Notes:  So far, I've taken Crabtree at 1.7.  Really wanted that pothead Raji, but the effin Bengals snaked him before I could get there.  No problems with Crabtree though.  Very productive, and Russell definitely needs some receiver help.  The foot issue does not bother.

Up next at 1.12 with Denver.  Denver has already rejected a GB offer (1.09 <--> 1.12 + 3.84), intending instead to use those 5 picks in the top 100 to revamp defense, primarily.  Sanchez is a'ight, but Denver is retooling anyway, so what's it matter if Orton or Simms or Sanchez suffers?  Next year's QB crop should be better.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 13:40 »

Notes:  So far, I've taken Crabtree at 1.7.  Really wanted that pothead Raji, but the effin Bengals snaked him before I could get there.  No problems with Crabtree though.  Very productive, and Russell definitely needs some receiver help.  The foot issue does not bother.

Up next at 1.12 with Denver.  Denver has already rejected a GB offer (1.09 <--> 1.12 + 3.84), intending instead to use those 5 picks in the top 100 to revamp defense, primarily.  Sanchez is a'ight, but Denver is retooling anyway, so what's it matter if Orton or Simms or Sanchez suffers?  Next year's QB crop should be better.

Wow, it didn't hit me that Denver gets 1.12 and 1.18 as a result of the trade. They really can get two impact defensive players there.

Personally, I don't think Sanchez is first round material. I think alot of his success had to do with the talent around him being so damn superior to most teams they played. We shall see though.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 15:03 »

Results updated, above.  Green Bay pissed off my Patriots, who were hoping to buck CV and take Barwin at 1.23.  He's mostly rated R2 by your draft sites, but I liked his measurables and upside and figured he'd be there.  Wrong.  GB figured others would like him too, and anted up.  This is the kind of draft day surprise you see in real life...  Anyway, Denver has 1.12 and 1.18, but figured to follow suit with a bit of a gamble.  Took Gilbert, as the Broncos DL is shit, and with their move to the 3-4 they need DL badly.  IMO, Gilbert > Jackson, and SD might have gone DE before 1,18.  I wanted my guy, knowing it was "early."

We'll see how Denver's snub of Sanchez and commitment to retooling the D plays out.  I have an offer in to the Pitt GM to move up from R2, which would give Denver 1.12, 1.18, and 1.32.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2009 at 17:57 »

In part the first of What did you get in return for Jay Cutler?, the Broncos continue their overhaul of the alleged defense, with caveats noted of USC busts and Rey's tepid sprint times. Still, the management was optimistic that two of the three USC LBs projected to R1 might actually live to the hype. And really, are you pinning hopes on Andra Davis?

Brief consideration was granted for Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU, in the dream of completely overhauling the DL in the transition to the 3-4.  However, Maualuga was not expected to still be here, and was a consideration at 1.12.  And DE Tim Crowder looks like he can make the move to 3-4 end, just as DE Jarvis Moss may do better as a 3-4 OLB.  So the paucity of ILB talent, the potential upside of Mauauaualuga as a big hitter in the middle, and the apparent solution to the DE position in place, Rey gets the call.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 09:36 »

The Broncos thought that there was some possibility Tyson Jackson might fall to the bottom of the round, and there is always the possibility of trading up for him, although as noted they feel good about Gilbert and Crowder.  Teams that were thought to target Jackson would have been NE, Balty and Pitt, all 3-4, but TB, a 4-3, pulled the trigger.  Odd.

atriots had thought Maybin might be off the board higher and hoped Barwin would be at this spot if so. Maybin follows Mayo as a young, malleable LB to revamp the age spots in Belichick's D. Mayo was a 22-year old prospect with a 72 KEI; Barwin, likewise, is 22 with a 74 KEI; Maybin is 20 with a 73 KEI, though he will turn 21 on 4/6.

Does not appear to have the frame for a 4/3 DE, and so will need the right path in the pros, which could be here. Across from Adalius, the Pats have back Banta-Cain, OLB/JAG, but who can hold the spot until Maybin is ready. Though, as Mayo has proven, young talent wins starting positions in this scheme. Maybin follows a proud line of PSU DL busts, but he seems to be of a different make and model.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2009 at 18:35 »

First round is in the books.  As the Pats GM, when I saw that the Titans were up and Beanie Wells was still on the board, I tried hard to get a trade up to 1.30: Maroney looks like a RBBC guy, and Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris ain't the answer.  Alas, the card was already sent up.  But there are at least 3 big-framed RBs who should be present later in R2/R3, and the Patriots have picks galore, nerves of steel, and a willingness to take BPA always.

R2 has commenced.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: