Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 05:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Peter King OT Whining  (Read 536 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Mar 23, 2009 at 12:37 »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/2.html

1. In the last five years, 28 of the 72 overtime games played ended on the first possession of overtime, with the teams losing the coin flip not getting a chance to touch the ball. That's 39 percent of the games ending with one team touching the ball in overtime.

2. In the last five years, 72 of the 72 teams that won the coin flip to start overtime chose to receive. I keep hearing how the coin flip doesn't win or lose the games; teams do. True. But if the coin flip is so insignificant, why has no team since Marty Mornhinweg's Lions in 2001 chosen to kick off after winning? I always hear that good defenses can win in overtime. But the Ravens and the Bucs and the Steelers -- teams with great defenses of this decade -- never won the toss and chose to let their defenses play first. Why? Because the winner of the coin flip has a far, far better chance to win the game than the team that doesn't win. And all that would be needed to fix it would be the chance for both teams to touch the ball once overtime begins.

3. "We'd like to see each team get one possession,'' said Steelers president Art Rooney, but he was drowned out by those not wanting to add plays to the best game in the world. Heresy! More plays!

That's the Super Bowl champion talking. Anyone listening?

The pro-overtime forces went out meekly this year. So this is what I root for: In the Super Bowl next year, I hope the game is tied after four quarters, and I hope the team that wins the toss to start overtime returns the kickoff to the 39, and I hope they advance the ball 21 yards in five plays, and on fourth-and-six from the opposing 38-yard line, the winners kick a 57-yard field goal. And I hope a 5-foot-9 kicker goes pirouetting in the air, pumping his fist while most of the free world shuts off the TVs feeling disgusted and 79,000 fans and one very ticked-off team leave the field feeling totally deflated. And I hope Roger Goodell -- though he would never say this -- walks onto the field after the game and the losing coach says to him, "Commissioner, championship football games should not end this way.'' Maybe then we could have a sensible debate about overtime.

So, he sports wood when Beardy takes the Patsies down for SB winning FGs but that's not good enough for the rest of the league?  Get over it, Peter.  OT is what it is.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 06:41 »

I couldn't agree more Jonzr. Good grief, the defense has to stop the offense. Period.

Heard Mike Tirico talking about this issue the other day, and had to laugh. He was talking about how the Colts didn't get a chance to touch the ball in OT at SD. He said basically, Indy, a team who built their team around Peyton Manning, and not their defense, couldn't get their star on the field in OT.

Fucking WAHHHHH!!!! What do they want, OT by innings like they do in high school and college? Hey, how about just play another full 15 minutes and whoever is leading then, let them win?

I just don't like the each team should have the ball mentality. It reminds me about how you get a trophy now for just participating in kid's sports, which at some point I get when they are young, but at some point, you play to win the game and have fun (win or lose). This is PROFESSIONAL football. We don't need a everybody must get a reward/chance attitude there. Besides, over 60$ of the time (that would be a landslide victory in an election), the team that loses the coin toss gets a shot, you know why? Defense. Defense wins championships.

Hopefully I expressed my opinion coherently, it is early.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 10:47 »

Hey, how about just play another full 15 minutes and whoever is leading then, let them win?

Honestly, I've been saying this for years.  Just remove the sudden death aspect of it.  Maybe shorten the periods to 10 minutes or 7 and a half minutes or something, whatever the general consensus might be.  Play complete periods until the tie is broken.  Done.

Of all the options, including the current system, it makes the most sense and maintains the structure of the game as it was meant to be played.  Play 'til the clock reads 0:00.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 11:18 »

Yeah, well, in keeping with the other rule changes the PFL (Pussfessional Football League) is proposing, why not just have America call in and vote who should win at the end of regulation, like American Idol?  Call 1-900-PFL-SUX1 for the Eagles or 1-900-PFL-SUX2 for the Bengals.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 14:21 »

Yeah, well, in keeping with the other rule changes the PFL (Pussfessional Football League) is proposing, why not just have America call in and vote who should win at the end of regulation, like American Idol?  Call 1-900-PFL-SUX1 for the Eagles or 1-900-PFL-SUX2 for the Bengals.

clap clap clap

Honestly, just do what AJ says, maybe a 10-minute deal.  Or, let it end as long as each team has had at least one possession. 

Or just keep the thing like it is.  And let's forget all this talk about how "horrible" it is if a game ends in a tie--we've have two ties in the last 10 years.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 11:00 »

Or just keep the thing like it is.  And let's forget all this talk about how "horrible" it is if a game ends in a tie--we've have two ties in the last 10 years.

I really don't think people care as much about the game ending in a tie as much as their panties are in a bunch about only one team "getting a [offensive] shot."  Either way, removing sudden death addresses both.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: