Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 09:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deal offered to Sykora?  (Read 498 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Mar 23, 2009 at 16:09 »

I would have no problem seeing the Penguins resign Sykora under two conditions...

1 - At a reduced rate.

2 - I would give him the three years, only if he's willing to make the third year a club/player option.

If he's not willing to do either of the two (#1 in particular), I would let him walk and throw that money towards free agency.

March 22, 2009 | 11:03am ET
Penguins offer Sykora two-year deal
TheFourthPeriod.com

Pittsburgh would like to get winger Petr Sykora locked up to a new contract and the Edmonton Journal reports the Penguins have offered a two-year deal.

However, the paper also claims Sykora is looking for a three-year contract and the Penguins do not appear interested in offering up that extra season.

Sykora has played a vital role in allowing Evgeni Malkin to come out of his shell, and the Penguins' players have all recognized that.

The two sides are expected to continue their talks as the season progresses.

From the Editor: The two sides will get a deal done, but it seems more likely one will be reached once Pittsburgh's season is complete. -- David Pagnotta.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit090322.html
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 at 16:12 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 16:25 »

I agree with your points. I think originally signing Sykora was one of the best moves Shero made but I'm wary of the 3 year deal. Also, the rate had better be reduced from his first contract with the team (it was 4.5 million per I think?). I still want the guy back though. Yeah, he's no spring chicken but he works very well with Geno and is one of the best shots on the team.

I've got no problem with a player wanting to cash in on his final contract, but I'd say he needs to ask himself if he wants to make a moderate salary playing with 2 or the best players in the world on a highly competitive team or be the highest payed player on the Islanders.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 16:31 »

Oh, I forgot #3...

3 - Perhaps his next contract should have an incentive for putting the puck in the net. This current contract is either lacking such a clause or it sure ain't working right now.  Dude has been missing some major chances lately.

Grin
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 22:49 »

Love to see Sykora for another 3 years. I'd say give him a 3 year deal and put some incentives in there, as long as it's a cap friendly deal of course. I know he loves playing in Pittsburgh, and with Malkin. Hope that means he'd take a little less to stay.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: