Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pansies only, please!  (Read 2966 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Mar 24, 2009 at 13:59 »

On the plus side, the Steelers are continuing their 30-year tradition of forcing the NFL to change the rules to compensate for our very manly, traditional, pure, the way-it-was-meant-to-be-played football. 

On the down side, it will now become commonplace for players to wear skirts, thongs and high heels during games.  Tampons will be available at the concession stand, and each team trainer will be required to have Midol on hand at every game.

(My apologies to the ladies for my rant).

Can you believe the candyass crap that they are putting out there as rules this year?  Why don't they just say, "Too many teams are scared of wide receivers that wear black and gold, so we want to protect these little boys from those big, nasty 195-pound bullies!"

Add in the "Beardy Rule" to protect Lil' Tommy and we've gone waaaaaaay beyond "Pansy League."  It's like a bad remake of Revenge of the Nerds or something.

Or maybe Goodell handed the whole league over to the Ravens and Patriots FO.  He and Kraft have to be Brokeback Mountain for each other if this is the kind of crap getting passed off as "rules."

(End rant, return to Preacher mode)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 14:04 »

Man, I love it when the holy man gets all riled!
It's then that I know I'm not all bad.
 Grin

I'm still the one with the boobs.
dare2beme

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 14:12 »

It's like a bad remake of Revenge of the Nerds or something.
C'mon, even we nerds aren't anywhere near as pansy as the new PFL.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 15:03 »

The "wedge" has been part of kickoff returns seemingly forever. The wedge is simply three players lined up in a blocking triangle that a returner follows as it plows up the field against kickoff coverage. After watching years of tape, the Competition Committee felt the wedge was causing too many injuries. Starting this fall, no more than two receiver team players may intentionally form a wedge to help the returner. The penalty is 15 yards and will be enforced from the spot of the wedge. It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking.

This is SO FUCKING GAY.     

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 15:38 »

The penalty is 15 yards and will be enforced from the spot of the wedge. It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking.

(Breaking from Preacher mode...)

And another thing...referees have to watch about 487 things on one play as it is, and they miss plenty of things that they are supposed to see.  Just how in the hell are they supposed to judge if more than three players are two yards apart or less?  And keep up with all the damn holding penalties, clips, illegal blocks, etc. that they are supposed to see?  Teams are going to start bitching and moaning about refs even more.  What should they do, stop the play when the ball is caught, run up, take out a measuring tape to check the distance between each player, then say, "Okay, play ball!" and start the play from that point?  Honestly, I am often critical of officials, but how much can you expect them to do?  Haven't we pretty much reached a point where they have no hope of calling an accurate game because there is too much to keep up with?

Man, I love it when the holy man gets all riled!
It's then that I know I'm not all bad.

You have no idea, LC...no idea!   Grin

ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 16:23 »

Agreed on all accounts. Roger Goodell is destroying the NFL...things have gone downhill ever since he took the position.

As if the league does not make things hard enough for the defence already, they now pass rules that say a player cannot tackle a QB while he is on the ground....what a joke!!
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 16:59 »

Roger Goodell is destroying the NFL...things have gone downhill ever since he took the position.

However the NFL did just sign a 4 year $4 billion, yes billion with a B, contract with Directv.

But nevertheless he is an ass...

So you cannot hit the QB high or low

Miyagi ---You go high not legal,you go low not legal, you go middle squish just like grape

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
ben2hines4six

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:18 »

Okay, not destroying them economically (as they are still a money making machine), so much as destroying the integrity of the game we love and the quality of the product on the field.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:29 by ben2hines4six » Logged
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:55 »

Tell you what.  Eliminate the kickoff entirely.  Just give the other team the ball at the 25.  That will be safe, and without the wedge, I imagine the outcome will be a decrease in average return, and fewer big plays.  So don't bother wasting anyone's time.  Save those seconds for the actual game.

Of course, you can't hit anyone in the rest of the game either, so...

Can you honestly tell me that more people are seriously injured on kickoffs than D linemen do getting double teamed?  So we should eliminate all double team blocks.

Every time they start in on this, especially with QB hits, I think of the scene in The Jerk where Steve Martin's character is running the guess your weight booth at the carnival.  When someone wins, he says something like:

"You can have any prize here.  Well below this shelf and above this shelf.  And not these.  Anywhere on this shelf here.  Anything to the right of the pencils, and to the left of these things here.  Basically, anything in this small square."

Translation to NFL:

You can hit as hard as you want, anywhere.  Except not in the head.  And not in the legs.  And not if you're on the ground.  And not if they're near the sidelines. And you can't grab from behind.  And only hit or block if they're looking.  And you can't use your body.  Basically, you can arm tackle somewhere between the left and right number, in the front, and not too hard."
ben2hines4six

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:55 »

msdmnr, GREAT reference...that's so hilarious, yet completely sad because it could not be more true.

STOP MESSING WITH THE GAME, IT'S FINE AS IT IS!!!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:44 »

It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking

So will it be a penalty if the covering team shoots more than 2 guys into that 2 man wedge???

This is wayyyy gayer than 'using a football as a prop' rule

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 21:06 »

These rule changes are the reason why football is dying.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 21:29 »

These rule changes are the reason why football is dying.

+1 for Penso

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 06:33 »

Roger Goodell is destroying the NFL...things have gone downhill ever since he took the position.

However the NFL did just sign a 4 year $4 billion, yes billion with a B, contract with Directv.

But nevertheless he is an ass...

So you cannot hit the QB high or low

Miyagi ---You go high not legal,you go low not legal, you go middle squish just like grape

Really you can't go middle either. If you go middle, you run the risk of falling on the QB on the way down, and driving the QB to the ground is a penalty too. Bullshit. Roger Goddell is an ass.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 08:38 »

The "wedge" has been part of kickoff returns seemingly forever. The wedge is simply three players lined up in a blocking triangle that a returner follows as it plows up the field against kickoff coverage. After watching years of tape, the Competition Committee felt the wedge was causing too many injuries. Starting this fall, no more than two receiver team players may intentionally form a wedge to help the returner. The penalty is 15 yards and will be enforced from the spot of the wedge. It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking.

This is SO FUCKING GAY.     

I say, bring back the old school Wedge Buster.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 08:55 »

Penalties...shmenalti es.  Fines?  *Pfffffft.*

If I'm Tomlin, I tell the team to keep doin' what you been doin'.  Don't change a goddamned thing.  Play hard.  Hit hard.  Make 'em fear it.  Make 'em remember it.

I'd rather have to deal with an occasional penalty than give the offense carte blanche to go over the middle without having to fear any repercussions.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 09:32 »

I say, bring back the old school Wedge Buster.

Isn't Orpheus Roye still on our roster?

If I'm Tomlin, I tell the team to keep doin' what you been doin'.  Don't change a goddamned thing.  Play hard.  Hit hard.  Make 'em fear it.  Make 'em remember it.

I'd rather have to deal with an occasional penalty than give the offense carte blanche to go over the middle without having to fear any repercussions.

It would be worth it just to prove the point:  This is how football is played!  Not to mention, if we just happen to eliminate Carson Daly and Tom Beardy in the process, so be it!

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 09:33 »

That should be what he tells them, but the league I am sure will start fining the players for the "illegal" hits.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 12:40 »

This is complete fucking nonsense. Why not just put flags around the QBs waists, hell why not just convert it to a flag league all together? Jesus fucking Christ! The NFL is almost getting to the point where it's unwatchable. All those bullshit fines, and roughing the QB penalties last year made me sick. And yet, next season it will be worse.

Ryan Clarke's hit on Welker would have been a top 10 plays 4 years ago, now it's fucking forbidden and frowned upon. There used to be a segment on MNC called "Jacked Up!" next thing you know we're going to have a new segment called, "Pleasantly Taken Down in a Legal Manner!" Brought to you exclusively by Dove Women's Hygiene Spray.

This pussification of the league will be it's downfall. Maybe I'm terribly mistaken, but I am pretty damn sure that people love seeing huge hits. Or love seeing people getting jacked up in general. There a shows on tv completely dedicated to people getting fucked up. Real TV is nothing more than skateboard injuries, car accidents, and people's parachutes not fully deploying. People watch it too! Maybe the dickless pseudointellectual bastards of the world think it's lowbrow entertainment, but fuck them. It's human nature.

I love seeing WRs get jacked up going over the middle. I love to see Hines Ward turn a LBs mandible into liquid shit. I love it! It's part of the game dammit.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:32 »

I think talking about this is getting Whitmer - "Jacked Up".

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 16:47 »

A 15-yard penalty will be enforced if a player delivers a blind-side block to the head of a defender using his helmet, forearm or shoulder

PTI just showed the Ward blind side block on mush mouth and I will wager anyone in here to show me where he hit Rivers head on that block?Huh?

Dont you think if they are going to name a penalty after you, you had to at least committ a penalty?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:54 »

The Limas Sweed rule, then?

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2009 at 22:49 »

Quote from: jacksplat
Dont you think if they are going to name a penalty after you, you had to at least committ a penalty?
The Limas Sweed rule, then?

Yeah, and they should also rename "false start" the Willie Colon rule.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 06:46 »

I think talking about this is getting Whitmer - "Jacked Up".

Or something like 'jacked up" poke

Whitmer you are spot on buddy. This is not a good day for the NFL.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 08:58 »

And NOW, they are talking about adding two games to the regular season.

So, we're concerned about the safety of players, we're concerned about keeping the stars healthy for the games' biggest stage, so we're going to do that by adding two more opportunities for players to be fatigued and get injured at the end of the year? 

Goodell's answer is to turn it into flag football so that they can put more games on the schedule. 

I believe that players are more likely to get hurt when they are not going 100%, and with these rules it's nearly impossible for players to go 100%.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:13 »

So, we're concerned about the safety of players, we're concerned about keeping the stars healthy for the games' biggest stage, so we're going to do that by adding two more opportunities for players to be fatigued and get injured at the end of the year? 

Goodell's answer is to turn it into flag football so that they can put more games on the schedule. 

From what I read, they would add a couple and cut down the preseason to two games.  Net effect, same amount of games just with more that count.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:24 »

A 15-yard penalty will be enforced if a player delivers a blind-side block to the head of a defender using his helmet, forearm or shoulder

PTI just showed the Ward blind side block on mush mouth and I will wager anyone in here to show me where he hit Rivers head on that block?Huh?

That's what I was thinking when reading the new rule.  I don't think there has been one of those blocks where Ward has hit a guy in the head, and he always uses his shoulder.

It is the phantom Ward rule.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:58 »

From what I read, they would add a couple and cut down the preseason to two games.  Net effect, same amount of games just with more that count.

Yeah, and that's a load of BS from the league, too.  Do they really think preseason games are the exact equivalent of regular season games?  Hell, your best players might not get a full 60 minutes out of ALL FOUR preseason games. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
whitmer_87

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 12:56 »

You guys remember the drink Snapple? Had like 8 different flavors to start out with, and fucking everybody drank it. It was really popular and all that. Well then they decided to make more and more and more different flavors and people just burnt out of it. They couldn't keep up. My point is, you don't fuck with success. Which is what Goodell is doing. 16 games is great, everyone loves it. If you put in more and more games, you're just going to wear out your welcome(especially with these vagtastically gay rules they keep adding) and people will eventually get tired of it.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009 at 13:12 by whitmer_87 » Logged

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 15:14 »

So, they're gonna start the season on Aug 7th and have the SB on Mar 1st?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 17:03 »

You guys remember the drink Snapple? Had like 8 different flavors to start out with, and fucking everybody drank it. It was really popular and all that. Well then they decided to make more and more and more different flavors and people just burnt out of it. They couldn't keep up. My point is, you don't fuck with success. Which is what Goodell is doing. 16 games is great, everyone loves it. If you put in more and more games, you're just going to wear out your welcome(especially with these vagtastically gay rules they keep adding) and people will eventually get tired of it.

YOu make a great point, but you just have to wonder where that line is.  Did people think that way when it went from 12 to 14 games?  How about 14 to 16?  At one time there were 6 preseason games (don't know if that held through the 14 game seasons or was reduced with that expansion).  If they're not making the season any longer, more regular season and less preseason is fine with me.  I'd hate it if I were a player of any caliber.  Starters now have 2 more weeks to play at peak level (will pay increase?), while peripheral guys have fewer chances to either make an impression on their own team, or if cut, less visibility to other teams that might pick them up.

I agree that would be ridiculous.  Can you imagine a 24 week season with 20 teams making the playoffs?  The IR list would be longer than the active rosters.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 19:41 »

Yeah, and that's a load of BS from the league, too.  Do they really think preseason games are the exact equivalent of regular season games?  Hell, your best players might not get a full 60 minutes out of ALL FOUR preseason games. 

That's exactly right, Penso.  Percentage-wise, it's pretty rare for a star player to miss significant time due to injury from a preseason game.  It happens all the time in the regular season.  I think that if they are going to add regular season games, then they should expand active rosters and increase the salary cap accordingly.  Make up for those financial hits by instituting a stringent rookie cap (which they should do under any circumstances). 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:30 »

I'm really surprised at the amount of people that are against having a couple more games of football a year.

Personally, I couldn't be more "behind the helmet" on this one.

I hate the fact that there's 4 preseason games.  You can't tell me that if they had to, they couldn't make roster decisions based on 2 games.  Plus, there's always the opportunity for intersquad scrimmages.  If they're gonna cut down on actual preseason games, teams can always have a few extra scrimmages to give them a better feel for those tough personnel choices.

Less preseason games means less meaningless games where a key player may get hurt.  Yeah, it means that the starters will be playing a couple more games a year, but so what?  As to regular season games, it's an increase in workload by 12%.  That percentage is somewhat mitigated by eliminating 2 preseason games.  I know it's not an apples to apples swap because starters don't play a whole helluva lot in those, but in the end, they're still taking away 2 games.

I think it would force guys to do a better job of being in shape and it would certainly test a team's endurance and durability.  As someone else mentioned, you expand the roster by 5 guys or so and if you really wanna go the extra mile maybe consider starting the season a week earlier and give every team two bye weeks.  Sure, there might be some logistical issues to address, but I don't think it's anything monumental.  And, while they're at it, they can cut down the two week layoff before the Super Bowl to one to get back that week.  That extra time is a complete waste unless you're a member of the press.

More football?  I'm definitely on board with that.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:32 »

Hold the fuck on...when did the season end???

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:06 »

Hold the fuck on...when did the season end???

It's right before the new season starts, which immediately follows when the old season ends.  The Commish refuses to give us a precise date until after negotiations with the NFLPA.  The negotiations should start prior to the uncapped season which will ensue directly after the current season (which may or may not yet be the 2009-2010 season) closes but at no point prior to that. 

If there should be a lockout season (after the uncapped season which has not yet begun) it will neither begin nor end but simply will not exist which should allow for a seamless start to the following season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:27 »

AJ, I am completely against adding more games to the regular season, because I believe it will lead to a decline in the quality of play, and because sundays will lose the "event" feel that they have now for the real fan.

Basketball in June?   Sucks.
Hockey in May?  Sucks.
Baseball in November?  Sucks.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:03 »

A decline in the quality of play?  You mean it could get worse than the '08 Lions or '07 Fins??

B)

Seriously though, I don't think that's a fair comparison and I respectfully disagree, Penz.  You're using sports that run on a nightly basis for basically a 6 month period to football.  IMO, by simply making the last two preseason games "count," it wouldn't vault football into the same category. 

The season would start (?) and end (?) at the same time (?) that it does now.

The only real issue that I could see being adversely affected by playing two "real" games as opposed to preseason~ers is that players (starters, mostly) might get run down quicker with the extra two games that they'd have to play from start to finish.  I'm assuming that's what you were driving at with the quality of play statement; more guys get beat up; worn down; IR'd; etc. 

To me though, that just means that players would need to do a better job of making sure they're in game shape and ready to go once the season starts. The Casey Hampton Offseason Eat-Whatever-The-Hell-Gets-Within-My-Orbit Workout Program wouldn't be permitted to exist.  As a professional athlete, you'd have to do an even better job of taking care of yourself during the offseason.  After all, it's your livelihood.

Finally, part of building a Championship team is doing whatever it takes to be prepared to withstand the rigors of the football season.  If swapping out a couple games on the schedule is going to keep a team from accomplishing that, well then, they're probably not cut out to be Champions in the first place. 

You don't need to look any further than your Pittsburgh Steelers as proof.  In the last five years, this team has been in 10 playoff games or to put it another way, over half of an extra season of football more than teams that haven't made the postseason (read:  Browns, et al.)  Hasn't stopped them from layin' some major whoopins to those teams and snag a couple Lombardis along the way though.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:18 by aj_law » Logged

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 17:20 »

It is indeed a sad day for the No Fun League, with all these crazy rules. Wedge busting? Are you serious?

Hines Ward is only guilty of hitting harder than the defense, and playing football the way Jim Brown, Ditka, Franco, Csonka, and countless other HOFer's played the game. It's a disgrace.

I can only imagine what playing 2 extra regular season games will do to the upcoming CBA negotiations. The teams will make more money, the players will want more of that money, and will likely push for a higher salary cap figures. You have to think the roster limit will go up by maybe 3 or 4 players. There will be a lot of issues involved.

But the one thing RG has shown himself to be about, is money. 2 Extra games means 2 more sellouts. 2 extra games mean more Sundays and Mondays on TV. Cha-ching. The QB rules are just trying to keep marquee names playing the whole season. They sell tickets, they get ratings, and they sell jerseys when they're playing. FF league owners get all pissy when Golden Boy misses a game, let alone a season. His player misconduct policy is attempt to try to stamp out negative NFL publicity, which would affect the child and family demographics, a substantial market and the leagues future fan base. And it's hard to ask for stadiums when your players are getting into trouble a lot.

The bottom line is that the NFL is a business, and the owners run it. Goodell works for the owners, and he's going to continue to try to milk the cash cow, and protect what the owners see as their assets.
whitmer_87

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 12:03 »

AJ, I am completely against adding more games to the regular season, because I believe it will lead to a decline in the quality of play, and because sundays will lose the "event" feel that they have now for the real fan.
Couldn't agree more.

These guys get beaten to hell in camp and play sparingly in 2 or 3 preseason game, and then have to play an 18 game season? Plus playoffs? Seems a bit much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they added 1 more game wouldn't that mean some teams would have 9 home games? or 9 road games? Would they play more games at neutral sights in Europe? I don't like that idea either. So if they had to expand the season, they'd pretty much have to go to 18 games. And I just think that's too many.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: