Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 06:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: So who do we keep?  (Voting closed: Apr 10, 2009 at 13:49)
Charlie - 5 (29.4%)
Lefty - 9 (52.9%)
Both - 3 (17.6%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup QB...  (Read 630 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:49 »

I say both if possible.  I would sign lefty to a 2 year deal and then deal him after next year and hopefully get something for him. I would have to say that this is the last year for Charlie.  I sincerely hope he can somehow join the the coaching staff or FO.  He is a stand up guy and should remain in the organization.

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:14 »

I think what's going to happen is that Leftwich will get a deal late in free agency, maybe right after the draft.  Batch will sign a two-year deal, and he and Dixon will fight for the two spot.  Dixon will show enough that next year Charlie is the #3 man, and then retires.  We draft a #3 next year.

Just don't see Leftwich getting passed by another year.  I don't understand how some of these teams have stuck with shitty QBs or signed shitty FAs...  Seriosuly, who's TB's QB?  Why not deal Cutler and sign Lefty?  Jets couldn't use him instead of the three bobos up there?

I like Leftwich and Batch a lot, good character guys, know their roles here, no egos.  Would love to see Batch become a QB coach, as floated.  Think Lefty really did a nice job as a short-timer here.  But I don't see any reason to carry 4 QBs.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:28 »

Not sure BFL would sign a 2 year deal for the very reason you mentioned.  He still considers himself someone who can start (and is probably right).  He'd want another crack at FA next year and not get tied up from going to a team over arguments whether he's worth a 3rd or 4th rounder. (and as Finny mentioned while I was typing, he still may be singed this offseason.)

If that doesn't happen, would you cut the rookie and go with two backups who, while experienced, will both likely be gone after the season?  Although Batch, despite all the years he's been here, will be only 34 at the start of the season.  And he may be one of the youngest 34 year olds (in terms of mileage) at QB in a long time. If he's enjoying this gig (and it's not the worst job in the world), he could spend another 3 or 4 years as the backup, maybe even as a player/coach to get some experience on his resume for future coaching jobs.

Tough call.  Lefty may be the best backup, but he's also likely to walk sooner rather than later.  Batch knows his way around the system blindfolded and usually can come in and give you a win or two, but he's always had a problem with being relatively fragile.  Dixon's learning things, but odds are will never be the regular starter here.  So at some point he'll be cut or traded or walk while Ben's still behind the helmet.  Which two to keep?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:56 »

Keep whichever fits under the cap, preferably Lefty but if not then Batch.  Not both though as the 3rd QB will be Dixon.  Keep developing the kid and maybe in a couple of years he can be traded to some crappy team for their 2nd rounder.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 17:27 »

Dixon, to me, is the #3 QB. So I wouldn't sign both of them. Charlie is definitely going to be available come June/July. Its still a 50/50 Lefty will even be around to sign a contract. I would rather see Gary around for another year, but won't be crushed if its Batch. Maybe BL stays because he knows the same OL is back, which means 40-49 sacks for BR, which means playing time for him.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 18:39 »

I'd love to see a couple wildcat type of plays with Dixon this year.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 20:20 »

I'd like to see Charlie hang around, mostly because I think he could develop into a hell of a coach.

Gary is fine & did a great job when called upon. I can't agree with keeping 4 QBs either.
But I'm selfish.  I think Charlie could be a long-term coaching option, and I don't want him going anywhere...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: