Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pansies only, please!  (Read 2989 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Mar 24, 2009 at 13:59 »

On the plus side, the Steelers are continuing their 30-year tradition of forcing the NFL to change the rules to compensate for our very manly, traditional, pure, the way-it-was-meant-to-be-played football. 

On the down side, it will now become commonplace for players to wear skirts, thongs and high heels during games.  Tampons will be available at the concession stand, and each team trainer will be required to have Midol on hand at every game.

(My apologies to the ladies for my rant).

Can you believe the candyass crap that they are putting out there as rules this year?  Why don't they just say, "Too many teams are scared of wide receivers that wear black and gold, so we want to protect these little boys from those big, nasty 195-pound bullies!"

Add in the "Beardy Rule" to protect Lil' Tommy and we've gone waaaaaaay beyond "Pansy League."  It's like a bad remake of Revenge of the Nerds or something.

Or maybe Goodell handed the whole league over to the Ravens and Patriots FO.  He and Kraft have to be Brokeback Mountain for each other if this is the kind of crap getting passed off as "rules."

(End rant, return to Preacher mode)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 14:04 »

Man, I love it when the holy man gets all riled!
It's then that I know I'm not all bad.
 Grin

I'm still the one with the boobs.
dare2beme

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 14:12 »

It's like a bad remake of Revenge of the Nerds or something.
C'mon, even we nerds aren't anywhere near as pansy as the new PFL.

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 15:03 »

The "wedge" has been part of kickoff returns seemingly forever. The wedge is simply three players lined up in a blocking triangle that a returner follows as it plows up the field against kickoff coverage. After watching years of tape, the Competition Committee felt the wedge was causing too many injuries. Starting this fall, no more than two receiver team players may intentionally form a wedge to help the returner. The penalty is 15 yards and will be enforced from the spot of the wedge. It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking.

This is SO FUCKING GAY.     

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 15:38 »

The penalty is 15 yards and will be enforced from the spot of the wedge. It will be called if three or more players line up shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other to lead the blocking.

(Breaking from Preacher mode...)

And another thing...referees have to watch about 487 things on one play as it is, and they miss plenty of things that they are supposed to see.  Just how in the hell are they supposed to judge if more than three players are two yards apart or less?  And keep up with all the damn holding penalties, clips, illegal blocks, etc. that they are supposed to see?  Teams are going to start bitching and moaning about refs even more.  What should they do, stop the play when the ball is caught, run up, take out a measuring tape to check the distance between each player, then say, "Okay, play ball!" and start the play from that point?  Honestly, I am often critical of officials, but how much can you expect them to do?  Haven't we pretty much reached a point where they have no hope of calling an accurate game because there is too much to keep up with?

Man, I love it when the holy man gets all riled!
It's then that I know I'm not all bad.

You have no idea, LC...no idea!   Grin

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 16:23 »

Agreed on all accounts. Roger Goodell is destroying the NFL...things have gone downhill ever since he took the position.

As if the league does not make things hard enough for the defence already, they now pass rules that say a player cannot tackle a QB while he is on the ground....what a joke!!
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 16:59 »

Roger Goodell is destroying the NFL...things have gone downhill ever since he took the position.

However the NFL did just sign a 4 year $4 billion, yes billion with a B, contract with Directv.

But nevertheless he is an ass...

So you cannot hit the QB high or low

Miyagi ---You go high not legal,you go low not legal, you go middle squish just like grape

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
ben2hines4six

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:18 »

Okay, not destroying them economically (as they are still a money making machine), so much as destroying the integrity of the game we love and the quality of the product on the field.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:29 by ben2hines4six » Logged
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:55 »

Tell you what.  Eliminate the kickoff entirely.  Just give the other team the ball at the 25.  That will be safe, and without the wedge, I imagine the outcome will be a decrease in average return, and fewer big plays.  So don't bother wasting anyone's time.  Save those seconds for the actual game.

Of course, you can't hit anyone in the rest of the game either, so...

Can you honestly tell me that more people are seriously injured on kickoffs than D linemen do getting double teamed?  So we should eliminate all double team blocks.

Every time they start in on this, especially with QB hits, I think of the scene in The Jerk where Steve Martin's character is running the guess your weight booth at the carnival.  When someone wins, he says something like:

"You can have any prize here.  Well below this shelf and above this shelf.  And not these.  Anywhere on this shelf here.  Anything to the right of the pencils, and to the left of these things here.  Basically, anything in this small square."

Translation to NFL:

You can hit as hard as you want, anywhere.  Except not in the head.  And not in the legs.  And not if you're on the ground.  And not if they're near the sidelines. And you can't grab from behind.  And only hit or block if they're looking.  And you can't use your body.  Basically, you can arm tackle somewhere between the left and right number, in the front, and not too hard."
ben2hines4six

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:55 »

msdmnr, GREAT reference...that's so hilarious, yet completely sad because it could not be more true.

STOP MESSING WITH THE GAME, IT'S FINE AS IT IS!!!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: