Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 23:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pansies only, please!  (Read 2688 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 17:03 »

You guys remember the drink Snapple? Had like 8 different flavors to start out with, and fucking everybody drank it. It was really popular and all that. Well then they decided to make more and more and more different flavors and people just burnt out of it. They couldn't keep up. My point is, you don't fuck with success. Which is what Goodell is doing. 16 games is great, everyone loves it. If you put in more and more games, you're just going to wear out your welcome(especially with these vagtastically gay rules they keep adding) and people will eventually get tired of it.

YOu make a great point, but you just have to wonder where that line is.  Did people think that way when it went from 12 to 14 games?  How about 14 to 16?  At one time there were 6 preseason games (don't know if that held through the 14 game seasons or was reduced with that expansion).  If they're not making the season any longer, more regular season and less preseason is fine with me.  I'd hate it if I were a player of any caliber.  Starters now have 2 more weeks to play at peak level (will pay increase?), while peripheral guys have fewer chances to either make an impression on their own team, or if cut, less visibility to other teams that might pick them up.

So, they're gonna start the season on Aug 7th and have the SB on Mar 1st?

I agree that would be ridiculous.  Can you imagine a 24 week season with 20 teams making the playoffs?  The IR list would be longer than the active rosters.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 19:41 »

Yeah, and that's a load of BS from the league, too.  Do they really think preseason games are the exact equivalent of regular season games?  Hell, your best players might not get a full 60 minutes out of ALL FOUR preseason games. 

That's exactly right, Penso.  Percentage-wise, it's pretty rare for a star player to miss significant time due to injury from a preseason game.  It happens all the time in the regular season.  I think that if they are going to add regular season games, then they should expand active rosters and increase the salary cap accordingly.  Make up for those financial hits by instituting a stringent rookie cap (which they should do under any circumstances). 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:30 »

I'm really surprised at the amount of people that are against having a couple more games of football a year.

Personally, I couldn't be more "behind the helmet" on this one.

I hate the fact that there's 4 preseason games.  You can't tell me that if they had to, they couldn't make roster decisions based on 2 games.  Plus, there's always the opportunity for intersquad scrimmages.  If they're gonna cut down on actual preseason games, teams can always have a few extra scrimmages to give them a better feel for those tough personnel choices.

Less preseason games means less meaningless games where a key player may get hurt.  Yeah, it means that the starters will be playing a couple more games a year, but so what?  As to regular season games, it's an increase in workload by 12%.  That percentage is somewhat mitigated by eliminating 2 preseason games.  I know it's not an apples to apples swap because starters don't play a whole helluva lot in those, but in the end, they're still taking away 2 games.

I think it would force guys to do a better job of being in shape and it would certainly test a team's endurance and durability.  As someone else mentioned, you expand the roster by 5 guys or so and if you really wanna go the extra mile maybe consider starting the season a week earlier and give every team two bye weeks.  Sure, there might be some logistical issues to address, but I don't think it's anything monumental.  And, while they're at it, they can cut down the two week layoff before the Super Bowl to one to get back that week.  That extra time is a complete waste unless you're a member of the press.

More football?  I'm definitely on board with that.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:32 »

Hold the fuck on...when did the season end???

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:06 »

Hold the fuck on...when did the season end???

It's right before the new season starts, which immediately follows when the old season ends.  The Commish refuses to give us a precise date until after negotiations with the NFLPA.  The negotiations should start prior to the uncapped season which will ensue directly after the current season (which may or may not yet be the 2009-2010 season) closes but at no point prior to that. 

If there should be a lockout season (after the uncapped season which has not yet begun) it will neither begin nor end but simply will not exist which should allow for a seamless start to the following season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:27 »

AJ, I am completely against adding more games to the regular season, because I believe it will lead to a decline in the quality of play, and because sundays will lose the "event" feel that they have now for the real fan.

Basketball in June?   Sucks.
Hockey in May?  Sucks.
Baseball in November?  Sucks.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:03 »

A decline in the quality of play?  You mean it could get worse than the '08 Lions or '07 Fins??

B)

Seriously though, I don't think that's a fair comparison and I respectfully disagree, Penz.  You're using sports that run on a nightly basis for basically a 6 month period to football.  IMO, by simply making the last two preseason games "count," it wouldn't vault football into the same category. 

The season would start (?) and end (?) at the same time (?) that it does now.

The only real issue that I could see being adversely affected by playing two "real" games as opposed to preseason~ers is that players (starters, mostly) might get run down quicker with the extra two games that they'd have to play from start to finish.  I'm assuming that's what you were driving at with the quality of play statement; more guys get beat up; worn down; IR'd; etc. 

To me though, that just means that players would need to do a better job of making sure they're in game shape and ready to go once the season starts. The Casey Hampton Offseason Eat-Whatever-The-Hell-Gets-Within-My-Orbit Workout Program wouldn't be permitted to exist.  As a professional athlete, you'd have to do an even better job of taking care of yourself during the offseason.  After all, it's your livelihood.

Finally, part of building a Championship team is doing whatever it takes to be prepared to withstand the rigors of the football season.  If swapping out a couple games on the schedule is going to keep a team from accomplishing that, well then, they're probably not cut out to be Champions in the first place. 

You don't need to look any further than your Pittsburgh Steelers as proof.  In the last five years, this team has been in 10 playoff games or to put it another way, over half of an extra season of football more than teams that haven't made the postseason (read:  Browns, et al.)  Hasn't stopped them from layin' some major whoopins to those teams and snag a couple Lombardis along the way though.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:18 by aj_law » Logged

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 17:20 »

It is indeed a sad day for the No Fun League, with all these crazy rules. Wedge busting? Are you serious?

Hines Ward is only guilty of hitting harder than the defense, and playing football the way Jim Brown, Ditka, Franco, Csonka, and countless other HOFer's played the game. It's a disgrace.

I can only imagine what playing 2 extra regular season games will do to the upcoming CBA negotiations. The teams will make more money, the players will want more of that money, and will likely push for a higher salary cap figures. You have to think the roster limit will go up by maybe 3 or 4 players. There will be a lot of issues involved.

But the one thing RG has shown himself to be about, is money. 2 Extra games means 2 more sellouts. 2 extra games mean more Sundays and Mondays on TV. Cha-ching. The QB rules are just trying to keep marquee names playing the whole season. They sell tickets, they get ratings, and they sell jerseys when they're playing. FF league owners get all pissy when Golden Boy misses a game, let alone a season. His player misconduct policy is attempt to try to stamp out negative NFL publicity, which would affect the child and family demographics, a substantial market and the leagues future fan base. And it's hard to ask for stadiums when your players are getting into trouble a lot.

The bottom line is that the NFL is a business, and the owners run it. Goodell works for the owners, and he's going to continue to try to milk the cash cow, and protect what the owners see as their assets.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 12:03 »

AJ, I am completely against adding more games to the regular season, because I believe it will lead to a decline in the quality of play, and because sundays will lose the "event" feel that they have now for the real fan.
Couldn't agree more.

These guys get beaten to hell in camp and play sparingly in 2 or 3 preseason game, and then have to play an 18 game season? Plus playoffs? Seems a bit much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they added 1 more game wouldn't that mean some teams would have 9 home games? or 9 road games? Would they play more games at neutral sights in Europe? I don't like that idea either. So if they had to expand the season, they'd pretty much have to go to 18 games. And I just think that's too many.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: