Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 23:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why we only got a 5th for Faneca  (Read 765 times)
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« on: Mar 26, 2009 at 04:29 »

http://postgazette.com/pg/09085/958403-66.stm

It seems that the reason we got only a 5th round pick for Faneca is that there is a rule in place that states: 10+ year vets can only yield a 5th round at the lowest.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 09:49 »

I guess the reason for the rule is because players with 10+years don't typically have that many years left, so you're not "losing" as much potential productivity.  But it's stupid.  Compensatory picks are given out based on the following year's production/contract.  No matter what the age of the player, it's hard to predict future productivity because of injury/motivation/legal issues/etc.

Brings back the point made by others.  We're not talking about Coke recipe here.  Make the formula public.  I'm not sure how much teams think about potential comp picks when they let FA go, but the Steelers knew that Fanceca would definitely get the money, and probably be productive enough to get them a 3rd rounder.  Had they known he's only worth a 5th, would that change their thinking at all?  Maybe not, but it would have been nice to have that info ahead of time.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:06 »

Also, with all the general Steeler screwing that's been going on, any reason to think that rule wasn't put in place after Faneca singed his deal with the Jets?  How long has that been in place?  Wonder if it's been used before.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:19 »

Also, with all the general Steeler screwing that's been going on, any reason to think that rule wasn't put in place after Faneca singed his deal with the Jets?  How long has that been in place?  Wonder if it's been used before.

That's what I was wondering.  And: does the Steelers FO have a better knowledge of how losing Faneca will work out than, say, that AdamJT13 guy at kffl, or are they as much in the dark?  That is, were they counting on a 3 or a 5?  Would suck to be the FO and have to overhaul the entire strategy now.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:28 »

According to the article, they were not aware of the rule and it came as a surprise to them.

"Even the Steelers were unaware of the little-known rule until they asked the NFL this week for an explanation why they received only a fifth-round compensatory pick."

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:46 »

According to the article, they were not aware of the rule and it came as a surprise to them.

"Even the Steelers were unaware of the little-known rule until they asked the NFL this week for an explanation why they received only a fifth-round compensatory pick."

I could just see Goodell explaining it to the Steelers brass...

"Uh, yeah, well, the comp pick, you see, umm, there's like, this rule, uhh, that if the player's over thirty-- no wait, scratch that-- if he's been in the league for seven... no, ten... years, that uh... Whassat?  Where is the rule?  Oh, it's a secret rule... We had to keep it secret for fear that someone might get, whaddyacallit, competitive advantage or something... Oh yeah, in future you will also lose a first round pick for delivering a block with more than a two-yard running start... Just thought I'd let you know, we here at the NFL are all about transparency."

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:51 »

I wonder if the converse is true - signing a FA who's been in the league 10 years has a lesser effect of detracting from the compensatory picks.  Could explain why NE is always singing the older FAs like Galloway, et. al.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:07 »

I could just see Goodell explaining it to the Steelers brass...

"Uh, yeah, well, the comp pick, you see, umm, there's like, this rule, uhh, that if the player's over thirty-- no wait, scratch that-- if he's been in the league for seven... no, ten... years, that uh... Whassat?  Where is the rule?  Oh, it's a secret rule... We had to keep it secret for fear that someone might get, whaddyacallit, competitive advantage or something... Oh yeah, in future you will also lose a first round pick for delivering a block with more than a two-yard running start... Just thought I'd let you know, we here at the NFL are all about transparency."

If they didn't, then they're asleep at the wheel.  Considering some of the "quality" moves made so far this offseason, it's par for the course.  Especially when you factor in that (apparently) the rule has been used several times in the past and that's counting a few times for former Steelers (John Jackson in '99 and Lake in '01...maybe '02...I think).  Also happened when Gannon signed a UFA deal as a 10 year+ vet.  And, supposedly it was used last year against the Chargers too when they lost Donnie Edwards.  Wish I could remember where I read about it...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 09:29 »

They don't have as much "luxury" at the top of the draft, and miss out on a decent cluster of value in late R3 for IOL. 

If the league doesn't want to release the formula to the public, that's one thing.  But front offices should know, especially with rules like this.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: