Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 20:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Granite Countertops  (Read 647 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 31, 2009 at 13:58 »

Anyone have these installed recently?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 14:26 »

Sounds like a new project will be underway soon in the Malibu household.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 15:02 »

Last November the Mrs. talked me into getting them.  We have a good deal of counter space and it was about 3k.  However my recently my mom and stepdad, who live in Cranberry, decided to get some. He has been pricing them out for months, he is a bit ...."thrifty".  He has finally found the best deal in the state and they are having them put in sometime soon.  If you are interested I can get the name of the company...only if you stop being such a dick...

On a separate note --there is almost no better investment in your home than adding Granite counter tops in the kitchen...

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 16:33 »

Sounds like a new project will be underway soon in the Malibu household.

I'm not touching this one.

Last November the Mrs. talked me into getting them.  We have a good deal of counter space and it was about 3k.

We're at 50+ sq. ft. of countertop and the quotes I got today for the lower end material was $2900-3500 installed. Would also have to add in the cost of a new sink (the kind that mounts below) and faucet.

If you are interested I can get the name of the company...only if you stop being such a dick...

I'll stop as soon as I suffer a parachute malfunction the next time I'm extreme skiing in Canada.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 19:54 »

Would also have to add in the cost of a new sink (the kind that mounts below)...

Otis has no problem with mounting below.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 19:58 »

Just make sure you get a quality product. There is A LOT of substandard granite around, some of which is hazardous to your health. It seems like your quote is about 60 bucks a square foot, which is pretty cheap for granite. I hope your getting a slab, and not tile for that price. The slab my Dad recently got was $96 per square foot. It's pretty effing sweet though.

Not to be buzz kill, or be a dick to ya Otis, but granite is SOOOO late '90's.  The new rage is poured concrete counters.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 21:04 »

It seems like your quote is about 60 bucks a square foot, which is pretty cheap for granite. I hope your getting a slab, and not tile for that price. The slab my Dad recently got was $96 per square foot. It's pretty effing sweet though.

That's their low end price. Me and the Mrs. usually don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive...somewhere in the middle.

I Googled "concrete counters". Didn't know there was such a thing. I'm sure granite is plenty modern for a geezer like myself. Hopefully, I can find a color that matches both my wall mounted rotary phone and our avocado appliances.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 22:10 »

You can get some really nice stuff between $70 and $90 per square foot, depending on the color, and the particular pattern. Comparable quartz, and synthetic (re: Corian) run about $80 to $95 per square foot, but you should be able to get at least 10% off sticker price. That's assuming your doing a 4in back splash, and a standard edge bevel. A bigger back splash is nice, but can get pricey when you start adding square feet, and cutting electric outlet holes.

So your going to go with the sink under the granite? I think those look great. You can pick up a nice 4 hole sink, and faucet at the Home Despot for under 5 hundie. Just make sure they get the template right, and that you have the sink when they do the template.

I'm sure you'll find something perfect to match the avocado, and the banana yellow linoleum. Maybe fire engine red in honor E. STL, which has the best dam strip clubs outside of Vegas (or so I heard. Seriously, a good friend lives in Webster Groves across the river and swears by them)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 22:15 »

The new rage is poured concrete counters.

"new rage"=110%

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 09:21 »

The new rage is poured concrete counters.

"new rage"=110%

Coincidentally, so is "new age."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: